The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

24 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Definitely. I would love for him to be Berkman. I just don't think that's a dude you can win with as your best player. He's like a really good/great player, just not "elite." I was just wondering if Carlson had that kind of potential.

I wanted to know what’s everyone’s thoughts on Gorman and Carlson and franchise guys as well. Are they legit middle of the order guys or just more overhyped prospects? Admittedly I don’t pay attention to the farm system like I used to so I honestly don’t know.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Definitely. I would love for him to be Berkman. I just don't think that's a dude you can win with as your best player. He's like a really good/great player, just not "elite." I was just wondering if Carlson had that kind of potential.

I think you're underrating Lance Berkman here a bit. From 2000-2008 Berkman was one of the best players in the game. He consistently had a BA over .300 and an OBP of over .400. And had 6+ WAR season 6 times during that time period. If Carlson becomes Lance Berkman we are going to win a lot of games. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I think you're underrating Lance Berkman here a bit. From 2000-2008 Berkman was one of the best players in the game. He consistently had a BA over .300 and an OBP of over .400. And had 6+ WAR season 6 times during that time period. If Carlson becomes Lance Berkman we are going to win a lot of games. 

I looked back and you’re right. When I was a kid I always thought Beltran, Biggio, and Bagwell were their best players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I wanted to know what’s everyone’s thoughts on Gorman and Carlson and franchise guys as well. Are they legit middle of the order guys or just more overhyped prospects? Admittedly I don’t pay attention to the farm system like I used to so I honestly don’t know.

I mean, I think it depends on what you mean by calling him a franchise guy.  If you're thinking someone like Bryce Harper or Mike Trout, you need to readjust your expectations.  But if you're talking about potential 2-5 hitters, I don't see why not.  I think the most impressive thing about Dylan Carlson is the fact that he's doing it at AA and he doesn't even turn 21 for a few more months.  He's hitting a whopping 141 wRC+ and he's roughly 3 years younger than the league average.  While Gorman is playing up as well, he's not been as impressive.

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I think it depends on what you mean by calling him a franchise guy.  If you're thinking someone like Bryce Harper or Mike Trout, you need to readjust your expectations.  But if you're talking about potential 2-5 hitters, I don't see why not.  I think the most impressive thing about Dylan Carlson is the fact that he's doing it at AA and he doesn't even turn 21 for a few more months.  He's hitting a whopping 141 wRC+ and he's roughly 3 years younger than the league average.  While Gorman is playing up as well, he's not been as impressive.

Mainly meant that middle of the order bat who can hit 30+ HRs and bat close to 300 or over.

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

eh

I will say this, he’s hit the ball well the last 3 games or so even though it’s not really showing up in the box score. 

Last night he hit a solid liner up the middle caught by the Short stop and a bullet to RF that took a great play by the outfield or else it might of put a hole in the outfield wall. 

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I don't understand this roster construction. Mike Mayers and Adelberto Mejia are terrible and should get DFA'd. And Yairo Munoz is one of the more overrated Cardinals I've seen in a long time. How he continues to get playing time is head scratching. 

Remember when Mo said it was complicated and that we had a log jam in the outfield as reasoning to not sign Harper? Yet Munoz is getting playing time and Bader just got demoted... Ah good times

• Like 1