The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

A hurt Cingrani who won’t pitch for us unless we re-sign him and a 19 year old pitcher. 

I hate looking back with hindsight but man, we could have gotten so much more if we’d have traded him last season.

Cingrani is likely just to offset Gyorko’s salary but still it’s a stupid trade.

Frustrating day. Mo definitely likes to do his dealing in December. Thought for sure we were at least gonna get an innings eater for the rotation. 

Gomber and Helsley could help the rotation, both are better than Ponce. But Gomber is hurt and for some foolish reason the Cards are using Helsley out of the bullpen. 

And the Cubs acquiring Castellanos makes them better so that adds to the frustration. 

14 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

That blows. Would of probably sent Bader packing if indeed it was a 1 for 1 trade.

Highly doubt it was just a 1-1 swap of either....

Wheeler didn't get dealt and Astros, Ray's and Yankees were all over him. That tells me Mets had a high price no one wanted to meet...

• Like 1

You guys really need to get your panties out of their twist. There really wasnt all that much reasonably available out there. And overpaying for one BP Arm, or one Back of the Rotation guy wasnt going to push this team into major contender position.

This team, as currently constructed, got back into it. Got themselves into first place. So why not just ride this out? Why sell Bader/O'Neill at their absolute lowest for (plus likely much more) for Zach Wheeler?

Is it disappointing that we didnt get anything? Yes, but look around the league, alot of the playoff contenders didnt really get anything.

• Like 1

I think everyone still operates under the mentality from 10 years ago about the deadline. The second WC made the trade deadline infinitely less fun. Also, all of our trade pieces are at pretty low points in their value. I think 

Also, the RISP batting line isn't too concerning for me. At least we have people getting on base. Sometimes it breaks the other way with RISP. Ozuna coming back will help the offense. We just have to rely on the BP staying effective to get us to the playoffs. I don't think our starters will turn it around and be a strength, but teams have won titles with weaknesses. Just gotta stay close and get hot at the right time.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You guys really need to get your panties out of their twist. There really wasnt all that much reasonably available out there. And overpaying for one BP Arm, or one Back of the Rotation guy wasnt going to push this team into major contender position.

This team, as currently constructed, got back into it. Got themselves into first place. So why not just ride this out? Why sell Bader/O'Neill at their absolute lowest for (plus likely much more) for Zach Wheeler?

Is it disappointing that we didnt get anything? Yes, but look around the league, alot of the playoff contenders didnt really get anything.

Agreed. Seeing comments that Girsch and Mo should be fired because we didn't sell out for rentals, or get held over the fire for guys that were controlled is ridiculous...

If we're holding them to that standard, then I guess Yankees should fire Cashman and Dodgers Andrew Friedman too...

Guess some are forgetting the offseason moves...

Greinke was only SP that had any value that got moved. The Astros had to give up a decent haul AND pick up 2/3 of his remaining deal. Greinke was never gonna waive his NTC clause either. I thought he might, but he shot down potential deal to the Yankees...

It's frustrating as a fan, but it's more about state of baseball than our FO directly. Teams are conscientious now more than ever...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think as a fan you have the right to be frustrated. Yes this team is in 1st place, but with the current pitching staff does anyone think it’s sustainable? And I’ve been saying for a month now that I wasn’t really looking for a top of the rotation guy, just someone who can come in and eat up some innings for us. We’ve been averaging like 3 innings out of our #5 starter now for a month+ and it’s not like Waino, Flaherty or Hudson go much deeper into games. The bullpen will be dead by September at this rate. 

I saw that Helsley started yesterday for Memphis. It’s the right call, he should of never been in Memphis’ bullpen. Cardinals seriously need to think about piggybacking a few of these starts and see how that goes. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yes this team is in 1st place, but with the current pitching staff does anyone think it’s sustainable?

Did you EVER think this Starting rotation was good enough to have us in 1st place to start the month of August? No but here we are. There's more than one way to Skin a Cat, and with the starter quality arms that we have stacked up in the bullpen, maybe they can ride deeper into a season that your more conventional Relief Pitchers could in years past?

No we dont have 5 starters, but we have 3 good ones, and we are patching together the rest right now. But was there really an innings eater out there worth the asking price that would be giving better results than Hudson is right now? You would have a hard time convincing me that there was.

I hate myself for being this guy, but seeing the prices it took at the deadline, getting Ozuna, Molina, and Carpenter back is looking pretty appealing compared to what was out there.

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

And I’m frustrated at the Gyorko trade. It’s not like we have a great bench or Scott Rolen over there at 3B. You’re telling me a team on pace for 100+ wins can find a spot for him on their roster but we can’t? 

If Gyorko was truly healthy, then yah we could've found a spot for him. Problem is, he may not be ready to be activated. I saw report yesterday saying he may not be ready for more than spot PH duty until September.. 

We can't afford to carry that guy on our bench through this stretch run...

@holt_bruce81 I think we're all frustrated as fans that we couldn't get some SP help....

With that said, I don't think the frustration is warranted toward the FO in this case. The market for starting pitchers simply wasn't there as most clubs expected on deadline day. The teams thought to be sellers chose to hold onto their guys, or demand a ransom...

It's not like we were the only contending team that came away empty handed...