The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

On 2/20/2020 at 11:04 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Doesn’t really post in the baseball forum anymore. It’s crazy how long some of us have been here. 

Hey, sorry guys.  I'm still around, just don't check in as often as I used to.  Interested to see what the Cards can do this year.  Hoping they can build on last year's success.  Excited to see if some of these young guys can come in and really make a difference.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Will be interesting to see how much this delayed start to the season changes anything, if at all for the Cardinals. Will Mikolas now be ready for the start of the season? and who gets bumped from the rotation? Kim or Ponce?

I don't think Ponce is in the rotation right now. My assumption for the rotation is Jack - Dak - Waino - Martinez - KK

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think Ponce is in the rotation right now. My assumption for the rotation is Jack - Dak - Waino - Martinez - KK

Agreed. I think that's the rotation of we start in the next 30 days. If it's later, we could see Mikolas. Kim would get pushed to the BP...

I've heard some talking heads though say we could see season start pushed back to Memorial Day...

Edited by kgarrett12486

12 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Same here. Ponce has been good from what I've heard, but he's not in the top 5. Impressive depth, as usual, for our rotation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Sounds like we won't be seeing opening day until Memorial Day at the earliest...

Crazy.  So much unknown with how all of this is gonna shake out.  Hoping it's sooner rather than later, moreso because that would mean the virus spread has stopped than because sports would be back.  

• Like 1

Miles Mikolas (elbow) has resumed throwing in Florida and now expects to be ready for the start of the 2020 regular season.

Mikolas was shut down in late February with a right flexor tendon strain and had been expected to open the season on the injured list, but the coronavirus delay has helped his cause. "I guess I’m in a unique situation where I was on a slow-buildup throwing program anyway, so what this does is allow me not to miss any time," Mikolas told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Wednesday. "Where I am now and where I’m going ... once the season starts, I figure I’ll be able to help my team from the get-go."

21 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Miles Mikolas (elbow) has resumed throwing in Florida and now expects to be ready for the start of the 2020 regular season.

Mikolas was shut down in late February with a right flexor tendon strain and had been expected to open the season on the injured list, but the coronavirus delay has helped his cause. "I guess I’m in a unique situation where I was on a slow-buildup throwing program anyway, so what this does is allow me not to miss any time," Mikolas told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Wednesday. "Where I am now and where I’m going ... once the season starts, I figure I’ll be able to help my team from the get-go."

Shoot the way we’re going, Hicks will be ready for opening day.... 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Shoot the way we’re going, Hicks will be ready for opening day.... 

True.  Silver lining for the Cards, I guess...at least in terms of Mikolas & Hicks.  What's really gonna be interesting is seeing how each team handles the time away and how they ramp back up whenever Spring Training 2.0 happens.  I feel like Schildt and the Cardinals staff should have a good plan in place to help get our guys ready.

'The scheduled series between the Cubs and Cardinals in London this June has been postponed canceled due to concerns from the coronavirus pandemic.'

No surprise here, as it'll be a stretch to even have the season begun in June at this point. I'm starting to prepare myself that there is a 50/50 chance we may just see the 2020 season scrubbed all together...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

All good here. I definitely took sports for granted. I always looked at sports for entertainment and a distraction from everything else in the world. Now without that and working in the healthcare field, it definitely gets more frustrating by the day. Definitely thankful at least NFL free agency is still going on but definitely sucks we missed opening day.

• Like 1