The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Well, my bad luck streak continues.  0-2 for the season so far.   But I did get a hotdog.  And saw an inside the park home run, and I had never seen that before.  Also saw the Orioles for the first time.  And booed Jorge Mateo more fiercely than he deserved 🤣

7 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Apparently Kramer Robertson got called up. Hes been a decent player down in Memphis the past few years, good eye at the plate with a really good glove....but he's no Nolan Gorman that's for sure. 

2021: 
466 PA, .253 BA, .366 OBP, 11 HR, 62 RBI, 22 Doubles, 4 triples, 13.3% Walk-rate, 17.4% K-rate, 114 wRC+

2022:
100 PA, .225 BA, .380 OBP, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 5 Doubles, 16.0% walk-rate, 23.0% K-Rate, 119 wRC+ 

Kramer Robertson made his debut as a pinch runner in the 9th for Yepez.

Brendan Donovan also hit his first home run.

Few things here...

Man, I didn't realize how poorly Yadier Molina is playing this year. His stats are atrocious. Gotta start thinking about getting Knizner more and more playing time. And if anyone didn't know or was worried about the future, we have Ivan Herrera down in Triple-A all but ready for the Big Leagues. He's having a nice year down there so far. 

I think Yepez is here to stay and I love him in the lineup almost everyday since he got called up. Nothing drove me more crazy then when in the past when the Cards called up a player and he would ride the bench and maybe get 3 at bats over the next 3 weeks. And then get sent down. While Yepez obviously isnt going to hit over .400 the rest of the way, what he's doing isn't a fluke, dude can rake and has the last few years down in the minors while supporting very respectable BB/K-Rates. 

Everyone talks about the year Gorman is having down in AAA but Walker and Winn are the Cardinals 2 best hitting prospects in our system. They're going to be really good when they get up here. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Man, I didn't realize how poorly Yadier Molina is playing this year. His stats are atrocious. Gotta start thinking about getting Knizner more and more playing time. And if anyone didn't know or was worried about the future, we have Ivan Herrera down in Triple-A all but ready for the Big Leagues. He's having a nice year down there so far. 

Molina been pretty much garbage at the plate since 2014 aside from 2 seasons (2016 and 2018).  He doesn't really walk much to begin with, and he's not walking at all right now.  He doesn't hit with much power either, and it's virtually non-existent now.  He just offered enough value handling the pitching staff and the rest of his defense that you can afford having an issue in the lineup.  I'm a bit bullish on Ivan Herrera, but they'll give both him and Andrew Knizner an opportunity to win the starting C spot next year.

I think Yepez is here to stay and I love him in the lineup almost everyday since he got called up. Nothing drove me more crazy then when in the past when the Cards called up a player and he would ride the bench and maybe get 3 at bats over the next 3 weeks. And then get sent down. While Yepez obviously isnt going to hit over .400 the rest of the way, what he's doing isn't a fluke, dude can rake and has the last few years down in the minors while supporting very respectable BB/K-Rates. 

Unless they plan on DFA Dickerson or Pujols, I don't think the Cardinals can afford two of their bench spots being taken up by DH-only types.

Everyone talks about the year Gorman is having down in AAA but Walker and Winn are the Cardinals 2 best hitting prospects in our system. They're going to be really good when they get up here. 

Gorman is still a top 2 position prospect in our farm system.  If he can continue this power uptick, then that discussion can be had but he's still behind Walker and Gorman.  Speaking of Walker, his power has been virtually non-existent.  Of his 30 hits this season, only 8 (26.7%) of them have been for extra bases.  Last year, that was 43 of 103 (41.7%) went for extra bases.  The good news is that it seems like he's making a strong effort to improve his strike zone judgment as his BB% is up from last year and his K% rate is down.

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Gorman is still a top 2 position prospect in our farm system.  If he can continue this power uptick, then that discussion can be had but he's still behind Walker and Gorman.  Speaking of Walker, his power has been virtually non-existent.  Of his 30 hits this season, only 8 (26.7%) of them have been for extra bases.  Last year, that was 43 of 103 (41.7%) went for extra bases.  The good news is that it seems like he's making a strong effort to improve his strike zone judgment as his BB% is up from last year and his K% rate is down.

Up to 31.25% after his Double and Homer tonight. 

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Gorman is still a top 2 position prospect in our farm system.  If he can continue this power uptick, then that discussion can be had but he's still behind Walker and Gorman.

Who is Gorman behind in your view? Walker and...? I know this was just a slip up on your part. I'm just curious as to who you meant? Liberatore?

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Who is Gorman behind in your view? Walker and...? I know this was just a slip up on your part. I'm just curious as to who you meant? Liberatore?

Walker.  He's my #2 positional prospect.  I'd probably put Ivan Herrera at 3 given where he and Masyn Winn are at level-wise, but Winn is quickly catching up.  Alec Burleson is probably 5, although I could see an argument for Joshua Baez if you wanted to gamble on his upside.  Overall, he's probably my 2A prospect to Liberatore who is 2B.  Liberatore needs to improve his HR rate.  He's been HR prone since the start of last year.  And on a semi-related note, Zack Thompson is starting to work his way back into the prospect discussion.  He's been fantastic this year.