The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

The offense seems to be finding a pulse again, just need the staff (Matz) to not fall apart, and to commit to a real 5th starter.

Looking ahead alittle, weve got a real tough stretch to end May with 9 games against Toronto, Milwaukee, and San Diego. But atleast its a home stretch. Feels like we need to rack up atleast 9 wins in the 13 game run up to that chunk of games.

Thats not necessarily easy with 4 vs the Mets in there. But the Giants come to Bush and series against Baltimore and Pittsburg to sandwich those two makes it realistic.

And unfortunately, Ive already started looking at potential trade targets, its not the richest crop, but theres some good ones, and some gems in there 

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Who are some players you’re looking at?

So Ive been looking at the bottom dwellers, plus a few off to bad starts (i.e. Boston) As well as focusing on guys who are Free Agents after the year, or at most have one more year/option year on their contract.

The pie in the sky is Xander Bogarts, and right next to him is Nathan Eovaldi. So we will take the Red Sox out of the equation for the moment, as they will believe they are in it for a long while.

So after that, I look at our needs, and if we dont move Edman to SS full time, thats a pretty shallow group without Bogarts (as most of the FA class is on contenders; Correa, Turner, Anderson, Swanson) but Elvis Andrus isnt doing much better than what we have, and you definitely dont want to get locked into that Player Option for '23. Chris Owings is garbage at the plate, Andrelton Simmons has been hurt all year, and while Alcides Escobar is atleast above the Mendoza Line, hes not enough of an upgrade right now to pass on internal options. The one guy I originally looked at for Short, isnt even playing there right now, Jonathan Villar. But not only would that be dealing with the Cubs, but hes hit the skids the past 2 weeks and is hitting under .100 during that times (still over .250 for the season though)

If you move on from SS, and say we will put Edman there and bring up Gorman, we were still looking at a black hole from the DH spot. Now Yepez may be a solution, but if he isnt long term, these are some of the bats out there. Top of the list would be Josh Bell, who I bet plenty of teams will be after. Just below that level, Andrew Benintendi, Trey Mancini, Tucker Barnhart  or Maikel Franco would all be solid DH (or push someone else to DH) options. And a group that may push into that level, Charlie Culberson, Robbie Grossman, Mike Moustakas, and my favorite of them Dan Vogelbach. Alot of these guys would also add another Lefty (or switch hitter) to the lineup. And of course there is always the group of what I like to call the "Redbird Special" who are basically done, but somehow we often find their last spark; Brad Miller, Carlos Santana, Nelson Cruz, and the Cincinnati guys Naquin, Moran, Solano.

I didnt get into Relief Pitchers, as they are a crap shoot (and I dont love trading prospects for them) but there are some Starters that Id be interested in (not even including a Michael Wacha reunion, since Im not suggesting Red Sox yet). There are your inning eaters that wont really excite anyone; Jordan Lyles, Mike Minor, Aaron Sanchez, Matt Moore. A few guys who are alittle north of that in Brad Keller and Frankie Montas (who might cost more as they are still cost controlled) as well as Martin Perez who is off to a hot start. And there are a few more names everyone might be more familiar with in Michael Pineda, Zack Greinke and Jose Quintana.

There are obviously plenty of other names out there. But these are most of the short term options on team who are very likely to be sellers, and sooner than later

Edited by StLunatic88

I'm going to the Orioles game tonight.  I believe this is crossing one more off the list of teams I haven't seen before.  

I think the list is:  Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays, and Guardians.  Yes, I saw the Indians.  I can't recall if I have seen the Rays.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'm going to the Orioles game tonight.  I believe this is crossing one more off the list of teams I haven't seen before.  

I think the list is:  Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays, and Guardians.  Yes, I saw the Indians.  I can't recall if I have seen the Rays.  

Gonna see history - Orioles are only team left in MLB that have never played at Busch II since it opened. 

• Like 1

Apparently Kramer Robertson got called up. Hes been a decent player down in Memphis the past few years, good eye at the plate with a really good glove....but he's no Nolan Gorman that's for sure. 

2021: 
466 PA, .253 BA, .366 OBP, 11 HR, 62 RBI, 22 Doubles, 4 triples, 13.3% Walk-rate, 17.4% K-rate, 114 wRC+

2022:
100 PA, .225 BA, .380 OBP, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 5 Doubles, 16.0% walk-rate, 23.0% K-Rate, 119 wRC+ 

Edited by holt_bruce81

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Have no idea why it’s not Gorman…. This guy likely gives you no better production than DeJong.

I think they're worried about what that does to the team defensively more than anything. I doubt Robertson gets much play, he'll probably be up here for a few games and then get sent down once Sosa is ready to come off the Covid list. More than likely a Scott Hurst situation, where the dude plays 5 games and then gets sent down and you never hear from him again. 

Excited to see Donovan at Short tonight, that dude can play.