The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Walker.  He's my #2 positional prospect.  I'd probably put Ivan Herrera at 3 given where he and Masyn Winn are at level-wise, but Winn is quickly catching up.  Alec Burleson is probably 5, although I could see an argument for Joshua Baez if you wanted to gamble on his upside.  Overall, he's probably my 2A prospect to Liberatore who is 2B.  Liberatore needs to improve his HR rate.  He's been HR prone since the start of last year.  And on a semi-related note, Zack Thompson is starting to work his way back into the prospect discussion.  He's been fantastic this year.

Ooooooh, that makes sense. I misread your original post. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Can we send down O’Neill as well? He’s returned to his normal every year form. I hope and pray they never give him a big time contract. Talk about fools gold with that half season last year.

Something tells me we might use him in a package for a SS. We have plenty of guys in the minors we can call up for the OF and it would get Yepez more playing time. Not sure if we are going to continue to look at signing him long term at this rate. 

Wonder how much we would have to add to him to land Bogaerts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Something tells me we might use him in a package for a SS. We have plenty of guys in the minors we can call up for the OF and it would get Yepez more playing time. Not sure if we are going to continue to look at signing him long term at this rate. 

Wonder how much we would have to add to him to land Bogaerts. 

That's an interesting idea. We do have a glut of OF guys and we do need a SS something fierce. I hope TON hasn't tanked his value much with his slow start. 

You all are crazy if you think they're dealing O'Neill this season. They saw what his ceiling could be with legit MVP potential. No way they're giving up on that after a bad 1.5 months, especially given the development they've put into him. And he hit for more than 1/2 season last year, so that comment is laughable.

No one in this line-up has hit consistently besides Arenado yet (that includes Edman - who has been more in line with his career norms the last 11+ games).

If we're gonna look externally for a bigger name SS, you can bet that it's gonna take Gorman.

41 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

You all are crazy if you think they're dealing O'Neill this season. They saw what his ceiling could be with legit MVP potential. No way they're giving up on that after a bad 1.5 months, especially given the development they've put into him. And he hit for more than 1/2 season last year, so that comment is laughable.

No one in this line-up has hit consistently besides Arenado yet (that includes Edman - who has been more in line with his career norms the last 11+ games).

If we're gonna look externally for a bigger name SS, you can bet that it's gonna take Gorman.

Well, in my scenario they would only be moving him in a package for a bigger name SS, but I think the fact they took him to arbitration instead of giving him the extra 750K shows they are still on the fence. 

That being said, I don't expect them to move him and am definitely not saying this slump is his norm, but if it was in a package for a guy like Bogaerts? Absolutely. You're telling me you'd rather roll out there TON and Dejong/Sosa instead of Bogaerts and Yepez? We have a good amount of prospects that we could include so that we wouldn't have to give up the top 3 (Gorman, Walker, and Liberatore). 

10 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Well, in my scenario they would only be moving him in a package for a bigger name SS, but I think the fact they took him to arbitration instead of giving him the extra 750K shows they are still on the fence. 

That being said, I don't expect them to move him and am definitely not saying this slump is his norm, but if it was in a package for a guy like Bogaerts? Absolutely. You're telling me you'd rather roll out there TON and Dejong/Sosa instead of Bogaerts and Yepez? We have a good amount of prospects that we could include so that we wouldn't have to give up the top 3 (Gorman, Walker, and Liberatore). 

IDK, don't think the arbitration case has anything to do with how they view him. I think it's more them just trying to save on his future status in this and looking to work our a deal to buy out his remaining years of eligibility.

If Boston is moving Bogaerts, I think it's a signal they may be rebuilding/re-tooling. I think they'd be looking for the cost controlled high end prospect ala Gorman vs. a guy who's just starting to get expensive and they'd have to work a deal with. 

23 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

IDK, don't think the arbitration case has anything to do with how they view him. I think it's more them just trying to save on his future status in this and looking to work our a deal to buy out his remaining years of eligibility.

If Boston is moving Bogaerts, I think it's a signal they may be rebuilding/re-tooling. I think they'd be looking for the cost controlled high end prospect ala Gorman vs. a guy who's just starting to get expensive and they'd have to work a deal with. 

Probably, but if there aren't any guys like Gorman on the table, I could see them accepting a package of something like TON/Winn/Baez. We got Arenado a lot cheaper than anyone expected so anything is possible. 

58 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I mean, I wouldn't read too much into it.  The team likes to file because then they get a chance to see how accurate their system is.

17 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Probably, but if there aren't any guys like Gorman on the table, I could see them accepting a package of something like TON/Winn/Baez. We got Arenado a lot cheaper than anyone expected so anything is possible. 

I'm probably overvaluing prospects badly, but I'm not moving that package for Bogaerts without an extension in place.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm probably overvaluing prospects badly, but I'm not moving that package for Bogaerts without an extension in place.

I'd need him to put in writing that he wouldn't be opting out after this year, but if we get him for a year and a half with a possible extension after, I'd take it. 

Just now, JonStark said:

I'd need him to put in writing that he wouldn't be opting out after this year, but if we get him for a year and a half with a possible extension after, I'd take it. 

He'd be insane not to opt out.  He's gonna get paid.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He'd be insane not to opt out.  He's gonna get paid.

Honestly I'm probably just spoiled by the Goldys and Arenados being all about staying with the team, but I was just trying to show that we probably could land him if we wanted without trading one of our top guys (unless you count TON as that piece). 

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Honestly I'm probably just spoiled by the Goldys and Arenados being all about staying with the team, but I was just trying to show that we probably could land him if we wanted without trading one of our top guys (unless you count TON as that piece). 

I mean, Goldy got his payday and he was the highest paid 1B in MLB until Freddie Freeman just passed him.  And Arenado's opt outs were more as protection in case he didn't like it in St. Louis.  I think he'd be hard pressed to make more than $144M over the next 5 years he's set to make.

• Like 1