The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

New manager… same ****. Shildt actually knew to actually use his best bullpen pitchers though. So what’s the real issue? Couldn’t be that idiot in the front office? Couldn’t be DeWitt being a cheap *** because they still draw big attendance numbers so why try to significantly improve the team? Couldn’t be that still have a complete moron as a hitting coach. Regardless of manager, this team isn’t going to change because it starts at the top. The team is just good enough to get to the WC every year for the most part so why improve off of that? You can say “oh it’s only May”, well this has been a repeat for the past several years.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

15 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

RIP Alex Reyes’ career. 

Is this a reference to our new relief pitcher, #5?  Because that was awesome last night. 😆

Also, congrats to Waino & Yadi on breaking the record for number of team wins by a starting battery.  Waino said a few weeks ago that that was the record that he & Yadi were really aiming for.  They'll hold that record forever...no one's gonna touch that one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

Is this a reference to our new relief pitcher, #5?  Because that was awesome last night. 😆

Also, congrats to Waino & Yadi on breaking the record for number of team wins by a starting battery.  Waino said a few weeks ago that that was the record that he & Yadi were really aiming for.  They'll hold that record forever...no one's gonna touch that one.

Albert Pujols and Babe Ruth are the only (2) players in baseball history to have hit 600 HRs and have 1 IP. 

Sucks on Reyes though. Feel bad for the kid. Has all the talent in the world and has shown what kind of upside he has as both SP and CL, but his body just can't cut it. 

15 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Albert Pujols and Babe Ruth are the only (2) players in baseball history to have hit 600 HRs and have 1 IP. 

Sucks on Reyes though. Feel bad for the kid. Has all the talent in the world and has shown what kind of upside he has as both SP and CL, but his body just can't cut it. 

OK, I just found the news about Reyes.  Horrible news.  Crazy what he's had to deal with.  Still hoping for a comeback, but that's obviously looking less and less likely.

16 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

OK, I just found the news about Reyes.  Horrible news.  Crazy what he's had to deal with.  Still hoping for a comeback, but that's obviously looking less and less likely.

I think it's going to depend if we see him at all in 2022. If he pitches (even minimally), I could see us potentially willing to give him the arbitration raise he'll be due (he's a 3rd time guy, so he will get a raise regardless and it'll probably be around $3M). If he doesn't pitch in 2022, I think he goes the John Brebbia route.  

On 5/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, CWood21 said:

I'm probably overvaluing prospects badly, but I'm not moving that package for Bogaerts without an extension in place.

For sure.  Winn is having a huge breakout this year for you guys.  Can't give him up for what would be a rental.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd love to see Walker and Winn together in Springfield sometime this year. I wonder if Winn moves up before the end of the season?

I would assume so.  The Cardinals were aggressive with Jordan Walker sending him directly to AA this year, but he demolished High-A hitting last year.  He's starting to consistently tap into his power the last month or so, but let's keep an eye that his strikeouts don't jump as well.  Winn didn't destroy pitchers last year, but he wasn't lost either.  I'd suspect that Delvin Perez muddies up the SS depth chart, because right now he's blocking Springfield's SS position.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I would assume so.  The Cardinals were aggressive with Jordan Walker sending him directly to AA this year, but he demolished High-A hitting last year.  He's starting to consistently tap into his power the last month or so, but let's keep an eye that his strikeouts don't jump as well.  Winn didn't destroy pitchers last year, but he wasn't lost either.  I'd suspect that Delvin Perez muddies up the SS depth chart, because right now he's blocking Springfield's SS position.

Oh, I didn't realize Perez was still in Springfield. I thought he crapped his way up to Memphis.