The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

35 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Yep, I logged into Bally through my Dad's Charter. I get same error message now.

Sucks, as now I'll have to look at getting cable again. I miss the days where YoutubeTV and Hulu carried Bally/FSMW...

Its all coming back around to basic cable

Everyone has been excited about Gorman (although no one said a peep when he went 0-11 with 7 Ks) and plenty have been pumping up Yepez.

But man, Brendan Donovan has been the surprise hero of the rookies to this point. dude never got a second thought when he got to the big leagues, and he is only hitting .280+ in almost 30 games and 100 PA, all while playing a ton of positions in the field.

Dont know if he can keep it up, but if he’s the “Ninth” hitter of this lineup, that would be great production for us (and further puts the DeJong stuff in a worst light)

16 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Everyone has been excited about Gorman (although no one said a peep when he went 0-11 with 7 Ks) and plenty have been pumping up Yepez.

But man, Brendan Donovan has been the surprise hero of the rookies to this point. dude never got a second thought when he got to the big leagues, and he is only hitting .280+ in almost 30 games and 100 PA, all while playing a ton of positions in the field.

Dont know if he can keep it up, but if he’s the “Ninth” hitter of this lineup, that would be great production for us (and further puts the DeJong stuff in a worst light)

No doubt. His versatility and bat are really helping the club. The future is bright for this team. We’ve got so many quality young guys we could probably land a star with a trade and still have a bunch leftover.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

No doubt. His versatility and bat are really helping the club. The future is bright for this team. We’ve got so many quality young guys we could probably land a star with a trade and still have a bunch leftover.

The in season "big move" really isnt their style, but I could see a couple of reinforcement moves if need be.

I think the first big hurdle is will we get anything out of Flaherty? If not, that would have to prompt a starter at this point right? If he does come back, Libertore should be good enough as the 6th starter for this year

And then the next would be the DH spot. Does Albert do enough against Righties? Does Dickerson turn it on? What happens when O'Neill is healthy? With Donnovan/Yepez/Gorman all up and hitting, we may not feel like we have to add a bat. 

I think Mo & Co is more likely to hold off (unless major injury) till the offseason, and then see what Nolan does with his Opt Out, before they start moving munch in the way of prospects at this point

• Like 1

So we Swept the Pirates, split a short one with the Jays, Win the Brewers series and then Sweep the Padres. Not a bad way to close out May. 2 back of the Brewers, with 2 games in hand.

5 in Chicago this weekend, Id be lying if I said I wouldnt be disappointed with anything less than taking 4.

32 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

They definitely have to add a starting pitcher even if they get anything from Flaherty this season. Hicks should be headed back to the bullpen. That leaves Waino, Mikolas, Hudson, and I guess Metz, Flaherty, and Libby. There’s a guy in Oakland we should be all over.

Can't imagine that he comes cheap.  Assuming the rotation starts to actually get healthy, you'll have Flaherty, Mikolas, Wainwright, and Matz in the rotation.  SP5 becomes Liberatore or Hudson.  I don't think they're going to be big game hunting for a SP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

They definitely have to add a starting pitcher even if they get anything from Flaherty this season. Hicks should be headed back to the bullpen. That leaves Waino, Mikolas, Hudson, and I guess Metz, Flaherty, and Libby.

Were paying those 6 guys like $50m to be our starters. If they are healthy, and someone is pithing close to Ace status (was Mikolas, could be Waino or ever a healthy Flaherty) we arent going to be pushing for another starter.

If Jack has a set back, or someone else implodes/gets hurt, then sure. But until then, doesnt seem likely. Probably more likely to grab another Long Releiver/Spot starter to hep out the bullpen

• Like 1

The impending question is will we cut bait with Dickerson?

O'Neill and Carlson are likely to be back, and then what do you do? 

Do we send Gorman back down? (he might be hitting the IL regardless) but thats only one spot, so who else? Nootbar or Yepez? Sosa or Donnovan?

After starting half the games, hitting under .200 with 0 HRs, feels like it might be nut cutting time

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 9:17 PM, ttitansfan4life said:

Gallegos sucks!!! Another great pitching performance by Waino ruined by the bullpen.

Know what is worse than blowing a lead or losing a game?  Sitting in the stands while Gallegos pitches.  I swear that he took half an hour for 2/3s of an inning on Monday.  He brings the game to a screeching halt.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

The impending question is will we cut bait with Dickerson?

O'Neill and Carlson are likely to be back, and then what do you do? 

Do we send Gorman back down? (he might be hitting the IL regardless) but thats only one spot, so who else? Nootbar or Yepez? Sosa or Donnovan?

After starting half the games, hitting under .200 with 0 HRs, feels like it might be nut cutting time

I'd say the easy solution is send down the OFs that aren't hitting.  Which is Dickerson and Nootbar right now. 

23 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

My guess is Dickerson doesn't have any more options, so he'd need to be DFA'd. 

Yea, Im doubting he has any Option Years left. We can surely send Nootbaar down, but what if Gorman isnt that injured? Or whenever he would return to IL?

My whole point was, he clearly doesnt have it right now, do we want to try and stash him on the end of the bench in the hopes that he would figure it out? And send down a productive player in the process? And on top of that, would anyone actually claim him on waivers? Not sure anyone is paying the remainder of $5m for what he is providing.