The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not saying it wont be good, just dont think we needed him

Let's not pretend that our bullpen looks a LOT better with him at the back end.  And if the Cardinals fall out of the race, they can flip him and probably get more than the pick they surrendered by signing him.

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed, I think this is our optimal line-up and as long as Carpenter can hold up defensively at 3B I'm good with it...

Love having Gyorko as the 'super-sub' and power AB off the bench...

Agreed about the Gyorko part.  He's more valuable coming off the bench IMO.

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Let's not pretend that our bullpen looks a LOT better with him at the back end.  And if the Cardinals fall out of the race, they can flip him and probably get more than the pick they surrendered by signing him.

I've got mixed feelings on the Holland signing.  I think it should make our bullpen better.  The question is...at what cost?  It's a question of value and worth.  How much better does he make us?  I know draft picks aren't everything, but I wish we didn't have to give one up.  To your point, CWood, maybe we can get something for him, but I'd be very surprised if we were so far out of it at the deadline that we'd be sellers.  

With him just being on a one-year deal, are we allowed to make a QO next offseason?  That would be nice.

So glad to be out of NY. I think going from mid 80's weather, to a dome exhibition to then opening day in 40 degree weather played a part in some of the pitching/hitting struggles, not to mention the two Cy Young caliber pitchers we faced...

Excited to see what this offense can do in Miller Park and the 1st impression of Mikolas...

19 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We also traded Valera. I’m sure you guys saw this just nobody posted it. I don’t have it handy who we traded him to, I just know we got a power potential low minors guy. It’s cool we got something for both of the guys we dropped.

I'm with you...glad we got something for both Lucas and Valera.  Who knows if the two minor leaguers we got turn into anything, but at least there's a chance.  Well done by our FO to turn those guys into potential assets for the organization rather than lose them for no return.

On 3/30/2018 at 10:44 AM, tttmikeb said:

I've got mixed feelings on the Holland signing.  I think it should make our bullpen better.  The question is...at what cost?  It's a question of value and worth.  How much better does he make us?  I know draft picks aren't everything, but I wish we didn't have to give one up.  To your point, CWood, maybe we can get something for him, but I'd be very surprised if we were so far out of it at the deadline that we'd be sellers.  

With him just being on a one-year deal, are we allowed to make a QO next offseason?  That would be nice.

I mean, I'm not real fond of giving up the draft pick but if the Cardinals make the playoff they're going to want a closer of Holland's caliber.  And if they fall out of the playoff race, we've seen what late-inning relievers fetch on the trade market.  Obviously we're not going to get an Aroldis Chapman kind of return, but I'd venture to guess that the package of prospects would have more value than that draft pick.