The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

15 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Bud Norris is going to be on this team in 10 Min and thats an absolute joke. 

This is my biggest problem with Mo. Not the actual moves he makes, or the return he gets for guys, its that we Halfass EVERYTHING!

When we are on the cusp, we dont go get the guy we need, and now that were middling, we send out one guy, but dont move the assets that would actually have value to contenders (Norris, Mikolas, Carpenter), which would return some impact assets. Were just going to wallow in mediocrity another few years until the rest of the league completely passes us by.

12 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This is my biggest problem with Mo. Not the actual moves he makes, or the return he gets for guys, its that we Halfass EVERYTHING!

When we are on the cusp, we dont go get the guy we need, and now that were middling, we send out one guy, but dont move the assets that would actually have value to contenders (Norris, Mikolas, Carpenter), which would return some impact assets. Were just going to wallow in mediocrity another few years until the rest of the league completely passes us by.

I’m bummed that they didn’t trade Norris, but who else are you disappointed that’s still on this team? 

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I’m bummed that they didn’t trade Norris, but who else are you disappointed that’s still on this team? 

Mikolas is the Obvious one. We are stacked with pitching prospects, and we found a lottery ticket in Miles on top of all of that, and instead of cashing it in, were just going to sit on in till we force on of our Pitchers out. His value isnt going to ever be higher than now, but just like Gyorko, were just going to ride it out instead of turning him into something useful.

17 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Agree with some of what you're saying. It is frustrating to see us not move an impending FA in Bud Norris. That should've happened. Hopefully, we can still move him by the waiver deadline.

It's not the end all be all though not moving guys with team control (Carpenter, Mikolas, Martinez) at the deadline. If we're moving these pieces, it'll be in the offseason. There just as valuable then. Also, you potentially get a lot more interested teams as you don't box yourself into just contenders and can better assess a players value. 

If we don't rehaul the roster this offseason, that's when I'll agree we're just staying status quo. I'm talking more than just few moves, like this last offseason.

Everyone made good points on the previous page about the guys that had plenty of shots to succeed but just didn't. Where does the blame fall?

I've always been wary of John Mabry as a hitting coach. I feel like the hitters that have gone on to succeed elsewhere are just playing to their strengths and not worrying about their weaknesses. I don't think there's any doubt that management tried to stop Grichuk and Adams from pulling the ball as much, and that just lead to their respective failures.

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

We traded Oscar Mercado :(

I like the deal. Mercado was a favorite, but destined to be a utility OF.

We got 2 high upside prospects if they hit. Jhon Torres who is just 18 and has performed well so far. Conner Capel has big time talent with 4 plus tools.

We've added some good potential pieces to our minors over last week or so...

Edited by kgarrett12486

25 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Everyone made good points on the previous page about the guys that had plenty of shots to succeed but just didn't. Where does the blame fall?

To me it's 60/40 on the player himself. Matheny, Mabry and others responsible for the hitters certainly didn't do any favors for them, but at some point continued failure falls on the player...

13 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I like the deal. Mercado was a favorite, but destined to be a utility OF.

I think this move was also heavily influenced by the limited 40 man Roster spots we have and the guys we would have to leave vulnerable to the Rule 5 Draft. I believe Oscar was on that bubble this coming year.

Edited by StLunatic88

18 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Pretty much.  I get the whole wanting sustained success, but this team lacks any real direction.

18 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Probably should have dealt Miles Mikolas.  I have to believe that there would be at least a halfway decent return.  Instead, he's going to regress next year and we'd be lucky to get even half of what he'd fetch this deadline.