The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

On 8/28/2020 at 12:26 AM, CWood21 said:

We are exactly 22 games in...and we're .500.  Not sure how anyone feels about this team, but somehow we're second in the division.

Pretty much how I've felt about this team from 2016-2018 prior to last year. Just kind of a 'meh' team.

We're good enough with our pitching to be above .500 team, but that's about it. If this was a regular year, I think we'd probably end up a low-mid 80's win team and either just squeak into the playoffs, or just miss out. With this being the outlier year, we'll make the playoffs due to the expansion, but that's not really an accomplishment in my eyes...

We're kind of just in the status quo boat again from a few years back...

Im starting to wonder if Mo might be punting all the way to the 2022 season.

Not that there was a move to be made this deadline, but after the Arenado stuff fell apart in the Spring (I feel very confident that we had real traction there) that Mo is holding out till he has another chance to make that big splash, and that might be hindered till we get past the Carp/Fowler deals.

Arenado's player option is up after the 2021 season, so that lines up very nicely with our Payroll situation. (especially if it is severely impacted due to fan restrictions) If we give Waino/Molina one more year each after their performances in this shortened season, and to appease the BFIB for what could be aother weird year, paying out $35-38 mil between the two. And then another $16.5 mil each clearing for Carp/Fowler, not to mention the possibility of moving on from the $17m from CMart (and potentially Wong as well) we are suddenly looking at a brand new roster in 2 years.

If we go that route, build this rotation around Flaherty, Mikolas, Hudson and then the Lineup around Goldschmidt and Carlson, this is suddenly a pretty fun team if you could get Arenado as a Free Agent and not give anything up for him. 

I know Im way down the rabbit hole here, but its more interesting to me than the mediocre product on the field right now

• Like 2

Alright, you guys and your likes of that post continue to encourage this behavior, so I blame you all

Looking out to 2022, I had so many guys I could throw out there to sign, but things will change a bunch between now and then. So just looking at this roster, what we already have, and adding Arenado completely changes our outlook. Im also assuming we resign Kolten here, which is not necessarily a given, as we could use that estimated $15m elsewhere (like OF). Just as a reference point, we currently have just over $90m committed to our every day lineup (made up of 13 guys)

1. Kolten Wong 2B ($15m)
  2. Dylan Carlson RF ($1m)
  3. Nolan Arenado 3B ($37m)
  4. Paul Goldschmidt 1B ($26m)
  5. Paul DeJong SS ($6m)
  6. Tyler O'Neill DH ($1m)
  7. Nolan Gorman LF ($1m)
  8. Andrew Knizer C ($1m)
  9. Lane Thomas CF ($1m)

I dont like still being reliant on nothing but home grown OF by 2022, but if Carlson is that dude, plus we squeeze Gorman's bat into Left Field, I can live with Thomas (not Bader) as a defensive guy in Center, and the potential pop of TON's bat as a DH. THis would also allow us plenty of spots (OF/DH) to upgrade the lineup with a trade if need be. The other option is to let Wong walk (or better yet, trade him at the deadline next year for more prospects), slide in Edman there or if he has it in him could Gorman slide there in the short term?

But that would allow us like $8-12m to spend on an OF bat, like an Adam Eaton or a Starling Marte, or possibly even a aging DH like JD Martinez or Khris Davis

Just to cover it, we are currently paying the key Pitchers (starters + high end relievers) Over $60m when you add in the Leak and Cecil dead money. So even if we make Flaherty a Top 5 paid pitcher (call it $33m) with Mikolas, Hudson and lets say Reyes as other starters (plus a #5), add in 2nd Arb Hicks, we are still right under that allotted salary.

Regardless of who we would spend the cash on (Wong or a FA Bat), as long as we dont hand out a dumb long term reliever contract, the more I look at this, the more it seems like a feasible plan that they could already be implementing

Edited by StLunatic88

10 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Did you know this team has never been more than 2 games above or below .500 all season long?

They are a mind-numbingly boring tem

I wish I could say I'm suprised, but I'm really not.  They were built to be .500 the entire time.

@StLunatic88 and @CWood21 completely agree. I can't remember a year where I was less interested in watching. They're the definition of mediocrity...

I saw a stat last night that we're on pace to have the 3rd worst Cardinals team average in the franchise's history. That's insane and just shows you how bad this offense is outside of a select few...

All these games we're having to play so close together is killing this team too. Starting to see pitching injury after injury stack up too partially because of it. I kind of wish we could just opt out of the remaining season to preserve some guys health for next year...