The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We are now tied for first place with the Cubs...baseball is officially weird.

Team is just clicking right now. And it's crazy that our offense if finally putting it together and the one guy who isn't apart of it was the guy who carried the offense nearly the entire first half of the season in Jedd Gyorko. Bullpen still scares the crap out of me though. 

We have the same record (61-56) as we did last year though 117 games. 

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Paul DeJong just continues to hit and play solid defense at SS. He's a little limited on range, but makes the plays he gets to. Reminds me of Johnny Peralta his 1st two years with us...

I'm hesitant about him. Diaz has scared me a bit. I'll start trusting him a bit more if he continues this next year. He has been very impressive this year, though.

13 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Mike Leake is having a really rough 2nd half....

Anyways, Piscotty hit his 3rd home run down in Memphis. 

Bernie Miklasz brought up an interesting question today on his radio show.  Does Leake struggling so bad (along with some concerns about Reyes' and/or Waino's health) create a situation where trying to re-sign Lynn may actually make sense?  I've basically considered it a foregone conclusion that Lynn is gone, and I still think that's highly likely.  But, at this point, I'd rather have Lynn than Leake.  I don't know what you'd do with his contract, though.

1 hour ago, tttmikeb said:

Bernie Miklasz brought up an interesting question today on his radio show.  Does Leake struggling so bad (along with some concerns about Reyes' and/or Waino's health) create a situation where trying to re-sign Lynn may actually make sense?  I've basically considered it a foregone conclusion that Lynn is gone, and I still think that's highly likely.  But, at this point, I'd rather have Lynn than Leake.  I don't know what you'd do with his contract, though.

I brought this up in the first half of the season and got yelled at for it. 

But Leake has a no trade clause, so he isnt going anywhere. CMart is your obvious Ace, Waino is on his last year so pencil him in as long as he is healthy. And the last 2 spots will be made up of the most ready (i.e. healthy) of Reyes, Wacha, Weaver and Flaherty.

So sure, you could bring him back, but a long term contract probably hinders your roster. I would imagine we give him a Qualifying Offer, and if he takes it we deal with it for a year. If not we take the pick in the 75+ area (dont think we received revenue sharing money in 2016, so we cant get the 1st round pick)

Not sure why we're reluctant to use the new 10 day DL this year. Dodgers have been manipulating it all year...

Guys like Wainwright and Leake  who are dealing with fatigue and minor injury right now would be perfect for this. Skips a start or two for them. Not like we don't have the depth in Memphis to give a couple spot starts either...