The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

13 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Same lineup as last night smh. So why was Baker even called up? I’m not saying he’s going to save the offense but the dude has hardly played since being called up yet here we are still playing one of the worst players in baseball in DeJong.

DeJong isn't the problem right now at all, he's actually one of the few who will sprinkle in a game or two here and there with some thump. The bigger issue to me is that we continue to have a guy hitting under the mendoza line and that has zero XB power right now in the 5 hole. 

Edited by kgarrett12486
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

We are just as close to the worst record in baseball as we are to first place in the Division (8.5) and theres only 2 teams worse than us, while theres 4 teams we'd have to pass for the division

If we don't sell off major assets at the deadline it'll be a travesty. 

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If we don't sell off major assets at the deadline it'll be a travesty. 

But Im saying we should be the first to market, get the best returns that we can as quickly as we can. If teams can use a trade piece for an extra month they are likely to loosen the purse strings on a return.

Now thats not going to jumpan average offer to a great one. But it might push an above average one up to a pretty good one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

But Im saying we should be the first to market, get the best returns that we can as quickly as we can. If teams can use a trade piece for an extra month they are likely to loosen the purse strings on a return.

Now thats not going to jumpan average offer to a great one. But it might push an above average one up to a pretty good one.

You'll get no arguement from me. We're clearly out of contention already, so no need to wait on our end (although who knows what the FO thinks). I think it would be smart for them to not only start shopping guys early, but to also look at packaging players together for needy team

They'd be smart to start approach it this way. Same thing the Blues did last year, they shopped Tararenko and Barbashev ahead of the deadline and packaged them with other plays the team thatw as acquiring needed to maximize the rturn. Became a one-stop shop for those contenders and they paid for such. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’d love to move Jack at least. Goldy wouldn’t be top of my list of “has to go” but it’d be tough to pass up a huge deal for him. I know that doesn’t look good to players….but we need some young talent for the future.

Unless we're going into a full tear down (ala Houston or Chicago style), I'm not trading Goldy or Arenado. I don't think you're going to get anywhere near enough value for Goldy on the trade front. I'm keeping Goldy and Arendado another season or two and focusing on rehauling my pitching staff and OF before before I consider moving either.

Need to go the 2016 Yankees route IMO. 

100% agree on Jack though, he has to be moved. He's specifically one of the guys I'm talking about possibly packing with a RP for a pitching needy team that comes knocking.  

• Like 1

It amazes me how Goldy, Nolan, and Waino can come out and take accountability and the guy who is supposed to be their leader can't do it once. Yeah, they are all underperforming and everyone is at fault, but they shouldn't be taking the bullet for him. He's so pathetic. 

On 6/17/2023 at 8:17 AM, ttitansfan4life said:

Dude should’ve been gone years ago. 

We would've all been complaining about how we let him go and he went to another orgaization and turned them around and into playoff/title contention. 

He's shown ability to put guys in position to draft and develop (especially on the pitching side) talent and even into the deeper ends of the draft rounds. That is a sustainable formula in today's game. He's been more successful than not in the trade market. He's underwhelmed in the FA department, but again we've never had a FA contract that he handed out hamstring us though.

I'm a believer though in the complacency arguement. We seem to be at that point last few seasons and it's come to a head this year. Theo Epstein said it best, you really have 10 year window as the 'guy' and anything you get after that is bonus. 

Edited by kgarrett12486