The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

David Robertson, who is a closer and a rental just got traded last night. The Mets got back an 18 year old SS prospect who has been tearing the cover off the ball in rookie league and A. Baseball perspectus just added him to their top 50 prospects in baseball at the mid season point. The other peice was a 19 year old catcher who is more of a lottery ticket. 

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd probably put DeJong on that "lock" list as well.  If someone offers us anything of value, he's gone.

The Giants are known to be in search of middle infield help. Two names under consideration: Cardinals shortstop Paul DeJong and Royals second baseman Nicky Lopez, reports Mark Feinsand of MLB.com.

Also, I think we can go ahead and put Donovan on the untouchable list at the deadline for sure now. Goold made a good point I totally forgot about. Teams aren't going to be trading for him right now given he can't play the field at all due to the elbow issue. It's part of what makes him so valuable. 

Edited by kgarrett12486

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Attach Hicks with Flaherty or Montgomery if it means getting a haul in return.  I don't think an injured Helsley significantly alters the trade value of Montgomery or Flaherty.

Yea but if we are trading both, and each deal wants the BP guy to sweeten the deal for a legit prospect, I’m doing it. 

I don’t think Helsley is some lock as a Closer or best arm in the pen for the next few years. Sprinkle friction with the organization in there and I won’t be shocked to see him go

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea but if we are trading both, and each deal wants the BP guy to sweeten the deal for a legit prospect, I’m doing it. 

I don’t think Helsley is some lock as a Closer or best arm in the pen for the next few years. Sprinkle friction with the organization in there and I won’t be shocked to see him go

Problem is the contenders aren't going to give you anything of substance right now, given he hasn't pitched in (3) months and is just now scheduled to start throwing. It's gonna take him a while to ramp back up and they need guys that can step in right now down the stretch. 

I think Helsley makes more sense as an off-season trade candidate. 

35 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think Helsley makes more sense as an off-season trade candidate. 

Again, I wouldnt be out there shopping Helsley, BUT if someone wants to take the chance why would you hang onto him?

If we have already moved Hicks, Jack and Stratton, and someone comes calling on Monty, and says you can have your pick of these Single A guys, all basically lottery tickets, Or you add in Helsley and you can get an actual Prospect for the package, why are you hanging onto Helsley there?

BP Arms have the highest value RIGHT NOW, not in the Offseason. Dont just toss him in for nothing, but if it makes a deal actually valuable, why wouldnt you?

54 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Again, I wouldnt be out there shopping Helsley, BUT if someone wants to take the chance why would you hang onto him?

BP Arms have the highest value RIGHT NOW, not in the Offseason. Dont just toss him in for nothing, but if it makes a deal actually valuable, why wouldnt you?

1] That's my point though, I don't think your going to get fair value from a team right now with him missing the last (3) months with a forearm issue on this throwing side. 

2] Right, but he's a different case than other entities right now in that his current injury plays a huge factor into the decision both from us and other teams. He's not even slated to resume throwing till next week, so a contending team is just trading blind for him? What if he has a setback? Then that team is screwed for their stretch run. The injury is just such a looming thing, which is why I think you're more likely to see a deal come to fruition in the off-season as part of a package.

Hearing lots of chatter from different sources about the Yankees looking at a package deal of Jack Flaherty and Dylan Carlson. Apparenty, they have the MLB ready starters we covet - specifically Randy Vazquez, Clayton Beeder and Will Warren.

Would you guys make that deal (with maybe another throw in prospect going each way)?

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Hearing lots of chatter from different sources about the Yankees looking at a package deal of Jack Flaherty and Dylan Carlson. Apparenty, they have the MLB ready starters we covet - specifically Randy Vazquez, Clayton Beeder and Will Warren.

Would you guys make that deal (with maybe another throw in prospect going each way)?

I really don't want to lose DC but I think the writing is on the wall. He's going to light it up elsewhere but we don't give him a chance to shine, so might as well get something for him. TON obviously isn't going anywhere so I'd be on board. 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that the Cardinals should throw him in, but why would teams think that an injured Helsley is going to drastically change the trade value of a package?

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that the Cardinals should throw him in, but why would teams think that an injured Helsley is going to drastically change the trade value of a package?

I personally wouldnt be looking to acquire him, but there have been reports of teams sniffing around. And my point is, I wouldnt be shooing them away, but just making it clear that we arent giving him away at a discount, especially with years of control left.

My point has always been, there are only a handful of guys who I wouldnt even entertain trade talks with. Two of them being Goldschmidt and Arenado, who only get moved if they demand it. And then the rest being our top of the top young guys/prospects (Walker, Winn, Hence and I personally put Gorman in there, but I know not everyone does) Everyone else should be available if a team really wants them

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I personally wouldnt be looking to acquire him, but there have been reports of teams sniffing around. And my point is, I wouldnt be shooing them away, but just making it clear that we arent giving him away at a discount, especially with years of control left.

My point has always been, there are only a handful of guys who I wouldnt even entertain trade talks with. Two of them being Goldschmidt and Arenado, who only get moved if they demand it. And then the rest being our top of the top young guys/prospects (Walker, Winn, Hence and I personally put Gorman in there, but I know not everyone does) Everyone else should be available if a team really wants them

I would imagine it's more the "if I can get him for cheap, this could be a big upside move" kind of logic going around.  Not the I'm actually going to give up a good amount of value to get a guy who might be able to pitch in the postseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

I really don't want to lose DC but I think the writing is on the wall. He's going to light it up elsewhere but we don't give him a chance to shine, so might as well get something for him. TON obviously isn't going anywhere so I'd be on board. 

I'm not that tied to Dylan Carlson.  Honestly, he's been a bit of a disappointment.  I was hoping he'd at least become that rock solid #2 in the batting order and play a solid CF, but he's more of a bottom-of-the-order hitter.  Honestly, I'm kinda lukewarm on the Yankees' pitching prospects.  Vasquez has a high-effort delivery, and seems better suited to end up in the bullpen from what I've seen.  Beeter's injury history is a bit too much for me, I'd rather find an arm with less injury risk associated but the stuff is good.  Warren is probably the best of the bunch, but I'm not a huge fan of his.  I wouldn't hate it, but I'd want more beyond Warren if I'm dealing Carlson to them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Per Bob Nightengale - The Texas Rangers are aggresively pursuing Jordan Hicks. Thinks it could be part of a bigger deal with one of our SP's involved. 

Pure pipe, but it'd be nice to snag Jack Leiter in a deal for Hicks.