The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

12 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

https://x.com/mlbnetwork/status/1802728885383024708?s=46&t=zvLLmt4RdwEc41Z-sHBpsA

Guy is an absolute moron. The pitching is what is responsible for getting this team back to .500. The offense is atrocious. Currently 1 run against a ****ty pitcher from the Marlins. Contreras, Noot, and Edman should help but not enough to really get the offense going big time. We need a starter, a big bat, and bullpen help.

Not entirely, the offense was top (5) in the MLB from May 12 until last week. They've fallen off considerably the last 1.5 weeks, but before that I'd have to agree with him that offense was a catalyst for the turn around.

The pitching has been pretty steadfast most of the year, which isn't a bad thing either. 

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is we're a ~.500 team.  We're 19th in wRC+ and 20th in wOBA.  We're 13th in FIP.  Defensively, we're 14th in DRS and 13th in UZR/150.  There's nothing we're great at.  And hence the reason why we're straddling the .500 line pretty much this entire season.

While I agree, it just shows you how bad the NL as a whole is. I actually think we're the 4th best team from top to bottom in the NL now with the Braves issues/injuries. 

Unless some team starts to string together a big run of games, I think the 1st-3rd wildcards are all going to be teams at or slightly above .500 when it's all said and done. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

80 pitches and you take him out… smh

Been seeing people ***** about this today on SM and I completely don't understand it. Seems like an effort to just lazily pile on the 'Oli sucks' sentiment. 

If you go back and actually look at the situation in depth, the decision to take him out there makes a lot of sense:

-Gray was at 84 pitches and hasn't thrown more than 90 pitches in any start since May 3rd.

-This was his 4th time through the order and Jazz Chisolm was up, who had just hit a triple off Gray his last AB.

-Gray had only thrown (3) stikes in the 15 pitches he had thrown thus far in the 8th inning. 

-Romero was ready to roll and bringing him in gives you the L on L match-up you wanted. Plus, Romero has been your best reliever all year long and his splits allow him to also pitch to the RHP in De La Cruz. 

Now did it end up panning out? Nope, but that happens. If he wouldv'e left Gray in there and same thing happened people would be bitching about that decision too. 

Not only that, but are people forgetting that Sonny Gray asked Oli to take him out in similar situation a few starts ago?

12 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Lynn going out for the 6th inning was idiotic. You could see from the very first few hitters that he didn’t have his stuff tonight. 

About as idiotic as leaving Helsley in the pen after not pitching the day before when you're up a run in extras. We're seriously never going to win anything significant with this guy calling the shots. 

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Losing a series to the worst team in the NL…. Smh

I mean, that's the Cardinals MO this season.  Start to show some life and immediately roll over and show their belly.

The Cardinals will recall righty Adam Kloffenstein before tomorrow evening’s game with the Giants at Birmingham’s Rickwood Field, as first reported by Ari Alexander of KPRC-2 (on X). It’ll be the 23-year-old’s major league debut.

I was at the game this afternoon.  First win in a while for me.  Gray had a perfect game going until I had to pee, then he gave up a home run.  That must have been my fault.  We caught a huge break when Crawford probably struck out, then hit an RBI double on the next pitch, extending us to a two run lead.  

Had one of the party suites with my parents.  Man, those are fun.  I made a sandwich with ground beef, brisket, a hotdog, and a brat.  It was phenomenal.  Got to see a Cardinals win, and got to see my mom.  Pretty good day for old Dave!

• Like 4

Are any of you guys members of the Hall of Fame Museum? 

My dad has a family membership.  They have a guy come through every couple of weeks to sign autographs.  Next weekend is Reggie Sanders.  If you are into that kind of stuff it is pretty neat.  My dad being the super Cardinals fanatic that he is, knows quite a few of these guys from going to the spring fantasy camps for like the last 20 years.  

They also have some really neat old stuff on display.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Are any of you guys members of the Hall of Fame Museum? 

My dad has a family membership.  They have a guy come through every couple of weeks to sign autographs.  Next weekend is Reggie Sanders.  If you are into that kind of stuff it is pretty neat.  My dad being the super Cardinals fanatic that he is, knows quite a few of these guys from going to the spring fantasy camps for like the last 20 years.  

They also have some really neat old stuff on display.  

I really like Reggie Sanders. He was a really fun part of some really good teams.