The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

At least we got a relatively exciting summer out of these bums. I feel stupid saying this, but maybe we'll get it fixed this off-season. 

More like false hope.  Unfortunately, this team is just destined to flop.  Not good enough to compete, but not bad enough to bottom out.

Don't look now, but Dylan Carlson has been hitting .265/.359/.559 with a wRC+ of 162 since his trade to Tampa Bay.  Obviously, the small sample size are there but another guy the Cardinals gave away for free figuring things out.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Don't look now, but Dylan Carlson has been hitting .265/.359/.559 with a wRC+ of 162 since his trade to Tampa Bay.  Obviously, the small sample size are there but another guy the Cardinals gave away for free figuring things out.

There’s flaws in this organization with the hitting coaching/philosophy/etc. and there’s multiple examples that have left this team and had success.

So how long does Oli have left? If they fired Shildt for what the team did under him, I really don't understand why they continue to back Oli for the last two seasons. I thought he was gone after the Reds series. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

So how long does Oli have left? If they fired Shildt for what the team did under him, I really don't understand why they continue to back Oli for the last two seasons. I thought he was gone after the Reds series. 

No way he’s not let go when the season ends. Along with hopefully Mo and the entire coaching staff. 

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

I hope they do get rid of him.

50 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

No way he’s not let go when the season ends. Along with hopefully Mo and the entire coaching staff. 

Why did they give him an extension if that was their plan?

46 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Thats really the issue, until the Dewitt's want to fully commit to some major overhaul of the entire organization, we are just going to keep spinning our wheels

Its not just get an actual Manager, its not just move on from Mo/Grisch. We need to have new ideas and energy from the bottom up. Id say the only thing we do decently well right now is Draft, but after that its not working. From Player development, to approach at hitting and pitching. To the correct emphasis on running and fielding. Even commitment to players (playing time and position) 

This especially needs to happen if we are going to fall a rung on the overall payroll compared to the rest of the league.

I dont have a clue who it should be do to do all of this, but it needs to be a pretty radical shift from the extremely conservative approach that the rest of baseball has completely passed us by

But in reality, we are going to fire Oli and replace him with Skip Schumacher. We will re up Gibson and move on from Lynn and possibly Matz. But dont be looking at much in the way of Free Agents since Noot, Donovan, Gorman and Pallante are all starting Arbitration this year, not to mention Helsley's very expensive 3rd year of Arbitration

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Why did they give him an extension if that was their plan?

It was a panic move with tall the talk of Yadi, trying to give the "vote of confidence" 

The guy helped take a 90 win team, and likely to finish under .500 for the past 2 seasons. You cant keep that around, especially as he ran talent out of the organization

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

It was a panic move with tall the talk of Yadi, trying to give the "vote of confidence" 

The guy helped take a 90 win team, and likely to finish under .500 for the past 2 seasons. You cant keep that around, especially as he ran talent out of the organization

No doubt about that. I wasn't trying to argue. He's got to go. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

No doubt about that. I wasn't trying to argue. He's got to go. 

Oh yea I agree, I was just continuing the thought from the previous post haha

Ive said it before, but this all started because Mo couldnt handle the chance that anyone may have more power/influence than him. It wasnt so obvious at the time, but once he picked Mike Matheny over Terry Francona, this organization has never been the same.

And Im not saying mo has been bad, hes done some great things, but his way is the only way and its gotten us stuck behind the 8-ball. The league is passing us by, and we are just sitting here holding onto "the Cardinal way" in a cloud of dust

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Oh yea I agree, I was just continuing the thought from the previous post haha

Ive said it before, but this all started because Mo couldnt handle the chance that anyone may have more power/influence than him. It wasnt so obvious at the time, but once he picked Mike Matheny over Terry Francona, this organization has never been the same.

And Im not saying mo has been bad, hes done some great things, but his way is the only way and its gotten us stuck behind the 8-ball. The league is passing us by, and we are just sitting here holding onto "the Cardinal way" in a cloud of dust

Been telling my friends and coworkers this exact same thing. 

Went to the game last night.  Had a few drinks and some peanuts.  Booed and heckled Garrett Mitchell for no reason.  Pile of turd Matt Carpenter hit a home run.  Bigger pile of turd Victor Scott II and his .120 batting average also screwed up in center field to allow what turned out to be the winning run to score, by Garrett Mitchell... bastard.  Then we have Goldschmidt and Gorman up to bat in the bottom of the 9th with bases loaded, and we all know the result before it happens.

But we had fun, and that is all it is really about.