The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

I mean were all really taking shots in the dark. Im just going off of what I see as a consensus deal form many I have seen thrown out there. But what really matters is that we are clearly active out there already.

I think Mo wants to try and get this deal done before the winter meetings, and the reason in 2 fold. A) he wants to limit the teams/time the Marlins are talking with. Doesnt let some "mystery team" come out of left field with a desperate Top 50 prospect deal. B) I think he wants to know what ammo he has left to make some more deals at the meetings.

I think we come out of this offseason with 2 bats and 2 arms (atleast 1 BP) in some sort of combo of Trades/Signings

Definitely don't disagree with anything you've said.  I think we're clearly looking to make a deal prior to the Winter Meetings.  Plus, it should help alleviate the 40 man crunch we're going to be facing.

Honestly, the Rockies throwing the QO at Greg Holland kinda threw a wrench in our plans.  I don't think the Cardinals are willing to give up their 2nd round pick for Wade Davis or Greg Holland, especially since the Cardinals didn't draft until the 3rd round last year I don't think they want to hamstring themselves.  I think they'd be willing to do it for a SP, but not a CL.  Wouldn't surprise me if they opted to go after Addison Reed instead of one of the top FAs, or they could go via trade and get someone like Kelvin Herrera.

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Jon Heyman said he's heard we've already inquired on the following:

Stanton, Davis, Holland, Martinez, Arrieta, Darvish, Hosmer and Moustakas

Says expects us to make big splashes

Don't want to be a wet blanket or anything, but this is merely an inquire.  Nothing more.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Don't want to be a wet blanket or anything, but this is merely an inquire.  Nothing more.

Yea, Im sure we are looking at just about everything, because this squad needs a full makeover. 

My prediction is we go all out on the salary for this year, its time to spend to win, while some of these other contracts start to fall off the back end.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

No doubt. I just like to see the names we're being associated with...

Just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page.  Expecting more than a player or two from that list to sign with the Cardinals probably isn't a reasonable expectation to have.

Peter Gammons today said Cardinals and Giants are the two teams 'pressing hard' for Stanton...

DGoold today said that he's hearing we're pushing hard for Stanton and Ziegler. Also said that his source has said we have the frameworks for a deal already established with the Marlins. He said headliners have been agreed upon and money exchanging hands as well, it's just the complimentary pieces now and the ball is in Stanton's court as far as the NTC...  

Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak met Sunday night with the representatives of relievers Brandon Morrow and Addison Reed, and since those reps also have Yu Darvish there was some dot-connecting going on. The Cardinals do have interest in Morrow and Reed as options for their late-game openings.

Edited by holt_bruce81

19 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Everything is leaning toward a deal coming together. If it doesn't happen, I think it'll be solely because Stanton shot it down at this point...

That’s another thing I’ve seen tossed around. Why on earth would Stanton turn down a chance to actually have a chance to win? He’s not doing that in Miami so why wouldn’t he want to come to a place like St. Louis? Doesn’t make sense to me.

5 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

That’s another thing I’ve seen tossed around. Why on earth would Stanton turn down a chance to actually have a chance to win? He’s not doing that in Miami so why wouldn’t he want to come to a place like St. Louis? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Good question. The common thought among media is that he prefers to play for a contender on either coast (i.e. a Boston or Los Angeles Dodgers). There has been no definitive proof out there (unless you believe Jim Bowden and his mystery source) that Stanton has vetoed a deal to us...

My thought behind this is if you're Giancarlo, why do you care? It's not like you have to live in the city you play for in the off-season and you're really only in that city maybe 100 days out of the 365 yearly...

Apparently, the Marlins FO now has an idea of where he will and will not be willing to go...

Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill said Monday that the club has an idea of which destinations Giancarlo Stanton would be willing to accept in a trade.

"I do have a sense, and we’ll keep that internal, and at the appropriate time we’ll discuss whatever we need to discuss," said Hill. 

10 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

2 reasons:

1. Florida has no state income tax, so Stanton would be losing on a lot of money if he went to a state and ended up paying 5 or 6% income tax.

2. He has a no-trade as leverage. Any team who acquires him is sinking $300M, prospects, and an opt-out landmine into him. That might be half a billion dollars into his acquisition. Is that team who's in for half a billion really going to say no, because he'll only come if his club option is picked up? If he thinks no, why not make a team entice him and get a couple extra bucks?

53 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

2 reasons:

1. Florida has no state income tax, so Stanton would be losing on a lot of money if he went to a state and ended up paying 5 or 6% income tax.

2. He has a no-trade as leverage. Any team who acquires him is sinking $300M, prospects, and an opt-out landmine into him. That might be half a billion dollars into his acquisition. Is that team who's in for half a billion really going to say no, because he'll only come if his club option is picked up? If he thinks no, why not make a team entice him and get a couple extra bucks?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your primary residence is in Florida and you report that you live there more than half the year, then you don't get taxed at the state your employer resides in.

I could be wrong though...