Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

this a make or break year for DZ/McDaniels. Which is why I kinda hope we skip QB this year, even though I want AR-15. Mcdaniels wanted to blame DC for last year, let him ride or die with JimmyG.

Hire a new GM with connections around the league. Let him pick the next coach and hold the coach accountable, not just hire one of his boys. The new regime would be able to pick their QB of the future in 2024 too. 

Yeah… I don’t want to draft a QB, unless Stroud/Young miraculously falls into our laps, because JMD needs to ride or die with his QB in Jimmy G.  I don’t think he’s done nearly enough to be allowed to get another year to develop the draft pick if we crash and burn this year.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

If you see failures year 1 and then don’t see any progress for year 2…. It doesn’t take a genuis to be be concerned that by year 3 there won’t be the progress necessary for the regime to be around.

⁠Turnovers: -3

⁠Fumbles Lost: -6 ⁠

TD Passes: +5

Rushing YPA: +0.9 ⁠

Penalty Yards: -172 ⁠

3rd down conversions: +2.5% ⁠

Offensive DVOA: +2

Improvements across the board on offense despite injuries to key players and a QB learning the system.

The biggest issue with Josh McDaniels first year is his name is Josh McDaniels. Any other newly hired HC would be hated less and afforded more patients.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

this a make or break year for DZ/McDaniels. Which is why I kinda hope we skip QB this year, even though I want AR-15. Mcdaniels wanted to blame DC for last year, let him ride or die with JimmyG.

Hire a new GM with connections around the league. Let him pick the next coach and hold the coach accountable, not just hire one of his boys. The new regime would be able to pick their QB of the future in 2024 too. 

It's not. Davis is a patient owner and doesn't care what you think. 

This post is proof positive you're simply rooting against these guys. Mainly because of Carr who failed on every level to live up to the confidence they put in him and what they paid them to do. 

Stop making Carr out to be a victim. He failed, period. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Interesting thing JG said of the offense and his excitement to be back in it is how much control the QB has. From his comments, sounds as if he expects to be fully in control under center. 

Jacobs, I think it's normal for franchise players to hold out of offseason activities while trying to get a long term contract. Barkley is doing the same in NY. 

Depth, this is largely the issue with poor roster construction in the past. To many failed draft picks, etc. But this offense is setup for RBs to be successful and there is decent depth across the offense. Defense is more the issue. Top to bottom the roster is thin on that side. 

Will Jimmy G continue to have the same freedom?  Just because he expects to be fully in control under center doesn't mean he will be.  Even if he does have full control how well will it all go?  Is he going to get on the same page with everyone on offense by the time this season starts?  The answer for that is most likely no.  

I don't have the stats to back it up, but it seems like the players who hold out during offseason activities during a contract dispute end up injured.  Add to that the fact that Jacobs just led the league in rushing and most leading rushers end up injured and having terrible seasons the following year (other than D. Henry the first time he did it).  The Jacobs situation is just ugly.  We should honestly try to trade him during draft night for some picks and find his replacement on day 2-3.  I don't care if others agree with me, I personally don't think he has much left in the tank.  Most RBs these days don't last very long.

There isn't decent depth across the offense.  If K. Miller goes down the OL drops to the bottom half immediately.  Who else do we have on the OL that we feel is a great player?  Not one of them.  At least not for me.  Same with D. Adams, if he goes down are we really feeling good about our WR corps with J. Meyers and Renfrow leading the way with Jimmy G.?  Jacobs goes down and we're going to keep producing at the same level with our other RBs?  If they're so good, why didn't they share the load more last season?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Improvements across the board on offense despite injuries to key players and a QB learning the system.

The biggest issue with Josh McDaniels first year is his name is Josh McDaniels. Any other newly hired HC would be hated less and afforded more patients.

I'm not giving him any more patients.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I want AR-15.  I want a QB that throws bombs and zig zags around in circles for 8 yard gains.  Something about having a giant WR/small TE throwing 50/50 balls nonstop 60 yards deep and running around on the field just sounds like fun.  I don't care if he pans out or anything, I just want to enjoy watching the offense before I have to watch 10 men disrespect the crap out of Maxx Crosby by acting like they have the right to play next to him when they know they shouldn't be starting.

• Like 1

Just now, Jerry said:

I want AR-15.  I want a QB that throws bombs and zig zags around in circles for 8 yard gains.  Something about having a giant WR/small TE throwing 50/50 balls nonstop 60 yards deep and running around on the field just sounds like fun.  I don't care if he pans out or anything, I just want to enjoy watching the offense before I have to watch 10 men disrespect the crap out of Maxx Crosby by acting like they have the right to play next to him when they know they shouldn't be starting.

You and I both. Any season with Jimmy G is a throwaway season 100%. He will never win a Super Bowl as a starter. Going into the season knowing it's a throwaway season is so depressing. If we get AR, at least we know there's only ONE throwaway season, and then the AR15 era begins. I would draft AR15 over Stroud to be honest. Stroud is just a Premium Goff. There is nothing special about his game. AR15 can take over the league if he develops. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

Will Jimmy G continue to have the same freedom?  Just because he expects to be fully in control under center doesn't mean he will be.  Even if he does have full control how well will it all go?  Is he going to get on the same page with everyone on offense by the time this season starts?  The answer for that is most likely no.  

I don't have the stats to back it up, but it seems like the players who hold out during offseason activities during a contract dispute end up injured.  Add to that the fact that Jacobs just led the league in rushing and most leading rushers end up injured and having terrible seasons the following year (other than D. Henry the first time he did it).  The Jacobs situation is just ugly.  We should honestly try to trade him during draft night for some picks and find his replacement on day 2-3.  I don't care if others agree with me, I personally don't think he has much left in the tank.  Most RBs these days don't last very long.

There isn't decent depth across the offense.  If K. Miller goes down the OL drops to the bottom half immediately.  Who else do we have on the OL that we feel is a great player?  Not one of them.  At least not for me.  Same with D. Adams, if he goes down are we really feeling good about our WR corps with J. Meyers and Renfrow leading the way with Jimmy G.?  Jacobs goes down and we're going to keep producing at the same level with our other RBs?  If they're so good, why didn't they share the load more last season?

I don't see why Jimmy G can't get on the same page quickly. He's versed in the offense, should be able to pick it up quick. 

Regarding Jacobs. I don't see why it's ugly. The same thing is happening with Barkley in NY. Why is it ugly in Vegas and standard operating procedure in NY? If Jacobs wants a trade, deal with it then. I think he still have some time left, but paying RBs rarely works out. There is a reason Chubb and Henry are rumored to be on the trade block. 

I think Parham will be a standout in year 2. WR, you loose your 1, things are always dicey but Meyers and Renfrow are studs. RBs produce in JMDs offense. Rookies usually have to wait. I imagine we see a bigger role for Zues in year 2.

7 hours ago, Jerry said:

Lmao Jacobs was lightly used in College splitting time, he has more left than your average heavily used College RB.

14 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Lmao Jacobs was lightly used in College splitting time, he has more left than your average heavily used College RB.

I hope so.  I can see that as being helpful, I'm just looking at the track record for leading rushers and how almost all of them end up injured the following season and their production drops in terms of YPC and just about every other major rushing category.

On 4/19/2023 at 1:56 PM, big_palooka said:

I’m glad you were so unhinged you took the time to find and and present those stats.

Here’s one that took no time to come up with:

we went from a 10-7 playoff team, made the team better including adding the #1 WR in football, and then under JMD went 6-11.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m glad you were so unhinged you took the time to find and and present those stats.

we went from a 10-7 playoff team, made the team better including adding the #1 WR in football, and then under JMD went 6-11.

Facts hurt don't they? You said it was all failure year 1, it clearly wasn't. You don't like that so hit us with the dumbest of arguments which shows where your bias is coming from.

That 2021 team was not built to repeat. Pretty easy to see and not worth me arguing points that have been made for the last year. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Facts hurt don't they? You said it was all failure year 1, it clearly wasn't. You don't like that so hit us with the dumbest of arguments which shows where your bias is coming from.

That 2021 team was not built to repeat. Pretty easy to see and not worth me arguing points that have been made for the last year. 

Oh yeah… screw the win/loss record we scored 1.2ppg more… Coach of the year!

honestly, your so unhinged I didn’t even read the stats you listed.

im glad you showed me what progress we made last year. 🤡🤡🤡

how can I argue with crazy 

Edited by jimkelly02

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

So we could expect you to jump on the JMD-hype-train if we're finally start winning games? Regardless how?

1 hour ago, Styrian Raider said:

So we could expect you to jump on the JMD-hype-train if we're finally start winning games? Regardless how?

I’ll happily admit I was wrong if the time ever comes.  Why wouldn’t I?  I’ve been wrong about many times before… I’ll be wrong about many more things in the future.  It’s ridiculous not admit when your wrong.

I will shout I was wrong and BP was right from the highest mountain if that indeed does happen.  I’ll even wear I I Love JMD shirt and post a photo!  I’ll even donate $1000 to JMD’s charity or if he doesn’t have one a charity he works with.

But let’s get very clear That going 8-9 isn’t proving me wrong.  Proving me wrong is something around the lines of making the playoffs in two years over the next 4.  I’m free styling the requirements off the top of my head at 4am here, but I feel like more or less that’s a a fair standard.

i have two main issues with JMD:

1) will Not be a winning coach

2) will not build a positive team culture because of his attitude / behavior / treatment of players / etc.

Sadly, I know @big_palooka isn’t honorable enough to admit he was wrong if that indeed becomes true.  He hedges his bets already with the subtle statements that more or less say he doesn’t believe JMD will win either…. They can be looked up by anyone interested, I’m not trying to say he said things he didn’t (which he is notorious for doing himself).  for someone so unhinged to go full purple haired SJW for the “Patriot Way” and JMD you’d think he’d actually have the conviction to stand behind them.

• Like 3