Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Sadly, I know @big_palooka isn’t honorable enough to admit he was wrong if that indeed becomes true.  He hedges his bets already with the subtle statements that more or less say he doesn’t believe JMD will win either…. They can be looked up by anyone interested, I’m not trying to say he said things he didn’t (which he is notorious for doing himself).  for someone so unhinged to go full purple haired SJW for the “Patriot Way” and JMD you’d think he’d actually have the conviction to stand behind them.

All your derogatory BS only reflects poorly on yourself.

I guess that's how you know when you've made it. You get groupies who can't wait to ish post on you daily. Pathetically follow you around to see "what positive thing did he say about JMD today" I can cry about. 

I'm terribly sorry you expected to make the playoffs last year and were disappointed. I understand how bad that must sting and how we all need to blame someone.

Edited by big_palooka

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

All your derogatory BS only reflects poorly on yourself.

I guess that's how you know when you've made it. You get groupies who can't wait to ish post on you daily. Pathetically follow you around to see "what positive thing did he say about JMD today" I can cry about. 

I'm terribly sorry you expected to make the playoffs last year and were disappointed. I understand how bad that must sting and how we all need to blame someone.

Your right bro… you finally made it and now your life is finally a success.  Congrats!  

no wonder you support JMD so much your equally egotistical and clownish.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ll happily admit I was wrong if the time ever comes.  Why wouldn’t I?  I’ve been wrong about many times before… I’ll be wrong about many more things in the future.  It’s ridiculous not admit when your wrong.

I will shout I was wrong and BP was right from the highest mountain if that indeed does happen.  I’ll even wear I I Love JMD shirt and post a photo!  I’ll even donate $1000 to JMD’s charity or if he doesn’t have one a charity he works with.

But let’s get very clear That going 8-9 isn’t proving me wrong.  Proving me wrong is something around the lines of making the playoffs in two years over the next 4.  I’m free styling the requirements off the top of my head at 4am here, but I feel like more or less that’s a a fair standard.

i have two main issues with JMD:

1) will Not be a winning coach

2) will not build a positive team culture because of his attitude / behavior / treatment of players / etc.

Sadly, I know @big_palooka isn’t honorable enough to admit he was wrong if that indeed becomes true.  He hedges his bets already with the subtle statements that more or less say he doesn’t believe JMD will win either…. They can be looked up by anyone interested, I’m not trying to say he said things he didn’t (which he is notorious for doing himself).  for someone so unhinged to go full purple haired SJW for the “Patriot Way” and JMD you’d think he’d actually have the conviction to stand behind them.

Gonna be real interesting how people act when McDaniels gets kicked to the curb without ever having a winning season though, ain't it? 

I used to wonder who actually fell for old snake oil sales tricks. Now I know. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Gonna be real interesting how people act when McDaniels gets kicked to the curb without ever having a winning season though, ain't it? 

I used to wonder who actually fell for old snake oil sales tricks. Now I know. 

You know BP will claim he “just wanted fans to give him a fair chance, I said I didn’t think he’d win”.  Integrity isn’t a trait of either of coach or his fanboy.

I mean we all know this team isnt built right now for instant success right? 
our D blows, our O has little depth. 
Jimmy is an injury waiting to happen . . . 

-
Trust me, I want to win badly, but just like I didnt put all the blame on Carr for loses when we have a poorly built team ..
its also unfair to put all the blame on JMD right now . . .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

-
Trust me, I want to win badly, but just like I didnt put all the blame on Carr for loses when we have a poorly built team ..

Exactly. Post Al Davis, we all anticipated things to improve. Thus far, it's been a revolving door of coaches, GMs, philosophies, and players. When Gruden was hired for 10 years, you felt like at least there would be some resemblance of consistency. 

The overarching factor in all of that is poor draft picks and poor roster construction which has lead to a dearth of homegrown talent. 

Until this team can adequately draft and develop talent, they will continue to struggle. The one off playoff appearances are meaningless. 50% of the teams don't make it the next year. It's about building a consistent philosophy and hitting on the right players for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly. Post Al Davis, we all anticipated things to improve. Thus far, it's been a revolving door of coaches, GMs, philosophies, and players. When Gruden was hired for 10 years, you felt like at least there would be some resemblance of consistency. 

The overarching factor in all of that is poor draft picks and poor roster construction which has lead to a dearth of homegrown talent. 

Until this team can adequately draft and develop talent, they will continue to struggle. The one off playoff appearances are meaningless. 50% of the teams don't make it the next year. It's about building a consistent philosophy and hitting on the right players for it. 

I am not the biggest JMD fan, but he deserves a fair shake.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

-

Nobody puts 100% of the blame on Josh McDaniels. But being a HC and being a single player are two different standards. 

Josh made a lot of poor in-game decisions and managed to alienate some presumptive key players. Those are strikes on Josh. 

We carried an absurd number of RBs last year and experienced massive depth issues elsewhere later. That's on both Josh and Dave. 

Some players weren't up to speed early on, iate in the season or at all. Some of that's on the player themself, some of that's on Josh as the HC. 

Our D blows, yes. We hired a dud DC in a nepotism move and made some poor signings. Some of that's on Graham, some on the players, some on Dave, and some on Josh. 

Our O had/has little depth, yes. Some of that's on Dave, some on Josh. We didn't need 5 active RBs. That's squarely an administrative decision made by the HC and GM. We now have roughly 1/2 of the league's WRs yet still have massive depth and talent issues elsewhere. Some of that is on Dave, some on Josh. 

Jimmy, I don't hold against anyone. The QB situation was always going to wind up murky and Jimmy isn't a horrendous option. Uninspiring or unexciting, maybe. 

Either way, what you'll notice is that of the issues we have, Josh plays a role in all of them. He doesn't carry 100% of the blame in ALL of it, but he carries anywhere from 33% to 50% in EACH of them. That's how accountability works. 

If in his interview he told Mark Davis that he planned on carrying 5 RBs, virtually ignoring the OL, and then stockpiling end of roster WRs following a 5-11 year where things routinely went off the rails while losing our incumbent starting QB for nothing and running our franchise TE out of town for a minimal gain, does anyone think he would have been hired? Fat chance. But that's what his performance has actually been. Thus, he should absolutely be expected to shoulder every ounce of blame attributed to him, and arguably slightly more as his job was to fix issues and make the team better. 

Where some of us draw the line is that he's not actually yielded results himself at all. He's getting a chance to prove us wrong. But that doesn't shield him from criticism until he does so. He's following a pattern that has failed several times and arguably doing just as bad a job as he himself did with his last chance. That doesn't deserve to be glossed over and insulated from criticism. There's nothing unfair about criticizing what are seen as bad moves just because he hasn't proven anyone wrong yet.

The line for criticism isn't only crossed after everyone feels am adequate amount of indeterminate time has passed. That would make any outcome a self fulfilling prophecy. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Nobody puts 100% of the blame on Josh McDaniels. But being a HC and being a single player are two different standards. 

Josh made a lot of poor in-game decisions and managed to alienate some presumptive key players. Those are strikes on Josh. 

We carried an absurd number of RBs last year and experienced massive depth issues elsewhere later. That's on both Josh and Dave. 

Some players weren't up to speed early on, iate in the season or at all. Some of that's on the player themself, some of that's on Josh as the HC. 

Our D blows, yes. We hired a dud DC in a nepotism move and made some poor signings. Some of that's on Graham, some on the players, some on Dave, and some on Josh. 

Our O had/has little depth, yes. Some of that's on Dave, some on Josh. We didn't need 5 active RBs. That's squarely an administrative decision made by the HC and GM. We now have roughly 1/2 of the league's WRs yet still have massive depth and talent issues elsewhere. Some of that is on Dave, some on Josh. 

Jimmy, I don't hold against anyone. The QB situation was always going to wind up murky and Jimmy isn't a horrendous option. Uninspiring or unexciting, maybe. 

Either way, what you'll notice is that of the issues we have, Josh plays a role in all of them. He doesn't carry 100% of the blame in ALL of it, but he carries anywhere from 33% to 50% in EACH of them. That's how accountability works. 

If in his interview he told Mark Davis that he planned on carrying 5 RBs, virtually ignoring the OL, and then stockpiling end of roster WRs following a 5-11 year where things routinely went off the rails while losing our incumbent starting QB for nothing and running our franchise TE out of town for a minimal gain, does anyone think he would have been hired? Fat chance. But that's what his performance has actually been. Thus, he should absolutely be expected to shoulder every ounce of blame attributed to him, and arguably slightly more as his job was to fix issues and make the team better. 

Where some of us draw the line is that he's not actually yielded results himself at all. He's getting a chance to prove us wrong. But that doesn't shield him from criticism until he does so. He's following a pattern that has failed several times and arguably doing just as bad a job as he himself did with his last chance. That doesn't deserve to be glossed over and insulated from criticism. There's nothing unfair about criticizing what are seen as bad moves just because he hasn't proven anyone wrong yet. 

The bolded.  That.  That's one of a handful of reasons why I don't like J. McDonald's.  The double digit leads that ended up being losses killed me.  I can't believe being ahead by 2-3 scores before the fourth quarter gave me a sinking feeling we were going to somehow lose the game.  We did that.  We did that like 4-5 times in a single season.  Blame whoever you want but again some of the blame has to be on McDonald's.  Our entire team collapsed.  It was awful to watch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yes strikes on Josh, that is fine. He was far from perfect last year, and I believe even he has said that he needs to get better, im sure DZ would say the same of himself as well. . . they are young and inexperienced, they need to grow. 

Personally I like going young with coaches / gms, because it gives you a chance of getting one of the great ones. Whereas it sounds like maybe you wish we hired someone with more experience who is good but hitting the market for a reason. 

The RBs was weird no doubt, but i hate to break it to you, we wouldve had bad depth regardless of if it was 5 rbs, or 3 rbs and 2 extra olineman. or CBs or whatever other position. Is there some amazing player you think we couldve had instead of one of those RBs for the same cost? 

honestly, if some players werent up to speed by end of season, that is on the player, if 80% can figure it out, it shows it can be done. Players should and were held accountable. 

Our D has blown for 20 years, there is no way Josh was fixing that in his first season here. . you can put 33% of the blame on him if you want, but again, what the hell did you think? Even if Jones was a 10sack player last year, our D wouldve been a liability against the run and still struggled wiht the pass. . . I think you need to set realistic expectations. 

Again with O, you put it on only the current regeim, but you are forgetting that it is mainly on the pepole running the team before they got here. . . you keep forgetting this. 
and it is a MAJOR probably like 80% major reason why our depth sucks. WE DONT DRAFT WELL. we change schemes often requiring new players, etc. 

Of course Josh plays a role in a lot . . but you do realize Mark brought Josh in to do things his way right? Mark couldve kept Rich and attempted to build of what rich did the season prior. . . that is NOT Joshs fault, well i guess if josh diidnt interview maybe we wouldve kept rich lol. 

When you change coaches, it takes time to implement things and build properly. 

Your spin on the season, sure Josh wouldnt be hired, but if you say in his interview he said;

Mark you know what, Ive seen the Raiders struggle for 20 years, and the lack of consistency has killed your franchises ability to have any sort of sustain success. If you hire me, the first couple seasons may be rough as I find the players I need to run my system and weed out the players who arent committed (WALLER),  or dont fit (Carr, who regardless of your thoughts on, I liked and thought was capable, clearly doesnt fit JMD system. But as we continue to build via the draft and bring in players who work and fit our scheme we can build a team for sustained success. 

Maybe mark does hire him. 
I for one am tired of the rebuild, retool, change the D, change the O every fricken 2 years. 
Do your homework, make a decision and stick with it for 3 years. Obviously make tweaks here and there. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I am not the biggest JMD fan, but he deserves a fair shake.

If his name wasn't Josh McDaniels, most wouldn't hate him so much that much is clear. 

With a shaky roster and injuries, they were in most of their games last season. Players played hard and competed. It's the old Tony Dungy adage... there are 5 plays that will make or break the game. Stuff to clean up, need better roster construction but there were a lot of positives. 

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

The RBs was weird no doubt, but i hate to break it to you, we wouldve had bad depth regardless of if it was 5 rbs, or 3 rbs and 2 extra olineman. or CBs or whatever other position. Is there some amazing player you think we couldve had instead of one of those RBs for the same cost?

This. The whole RB argument is dumb and a nit picky way to hate on the staff. Bottom half of the roster is about having ST players regardless of position. Bolden was a stalwart ST player in NE. Abdullah had COP value and ST value as a KR. Brown played himself onto the roster last year in preseason and he and Zues played roles on ST.

• Like 1