Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

No. I'm one of the few people who think a coach needs at least 3 years before you can judge if he's a good coach or not. I think he's a good play caller. 

Rich would have fallen off last year. Fun story, you're naive if you think he had true staying power as a HC. Notice he's still coaching STs and not coaching another team. 

You can't win with an average QB. What's your argument? 

There’s nothing to pointing to the fact that he would’ve fell off this year other than your opinion. The offense would’ve been in year 4 and the defense was looking better.

Both sides of a ball have improved every year under Gruden. So if all the coaches are there, and all the players are there, except for Gruden, what makes you think they would’ve fell apart under the coach and lead them to the playoffs?

50 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Hang on a minute………….. isnt Garoppolo a proven winner? His stats back it up. Why would we move on from a guy who just wins everywhere he goes?

Something doesn’t add up here 🤨

To get a cheap starting QB w/elite production. It allows you to spend more across the team 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

There’s nothing to pointing to the fact that he would’ve fell off this year other than your opinion. The offense would’ve been in year 4 and the defense was looking better.

Both sides of a ball have improved every year under Gruden. So if all the coaches are there, and all the players are there, except for Gruden, what makes you think they would’ve fell apart under the coach and lead them to the playoffs?

Was he magically going to make all Gruden's awful draft picks not be awful? 

And their playoff run was aided by flukey wins and playing teams with key players out on covid protocols in their late stretch. How they won was not sustainable. Teams don't win close games that way consistently. Eventually you return to the mean and that is what happened last year.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

To get a cheap starting QB w/elite production. It allows you to spend more across the team 

Couple of problems with this. Elite production is very definitely not guaranteed so you could end up with a cheap and crappy QB, plus I keep getting told that Garoppolo is a ‘winner’ and he’s the main reason behind the winning as opposed to the team carrying him. Why on earth would we move on from a guy who just wins all the time? That would seem counter productive I’d it was really true.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

And he/us looked rusty af

i can see it for experienced teams but Jimmy has literally not taken a snap from him new center ever and it’s mid July 

I thought he should of got some reps too. However, this is a different situation. Jimmy G reps should come in those scrimmages where QBs don’t get hit

OC and Garbers need PS snaps 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

And their playoff run was aided by flukey wins and playing teams with key players out on covid protocols in their late stretch. How they won was not sustainable. Teams don't win close games that way consistently. Eventually you return to the mean and that is what happened last year.  

So it’s just your opinion.

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I thought he should of got some reps too. However, this is a different situation. Jimmy G reps should come in those scrimmages where QBs don’t get hit

OC and Garbers need PS snaps 

Jimmy needs to take a hit to get his mind right. Taking your first hit of the season in a regular season isn’t a good idea Imo. He needs to get hit fall get his jersey dirty way before the regular season. Dude has played since November?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Jimmy needs to take a hit to get his mind right. Taking your first hit of the season in a regular season isn’t a good idea Imo. He needs to get hit fall get his jersey dirty way before the regular season. Dude has played since November?

I don’t want my starting QB taking hits in meaningless games. The scrimmages have proven to be enough for many teams to get ready. 

9 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

And he/us looked rusty af

i can see it for experienced teams but Jimmy has literally not taken a snap from him new center ever and it’s mid July 

Carr was rusty the previous season, I mean he carried us to the playoffs with an amazing 5tds 4ints and 4fumbles in the last 4 games. His horrible play carried over into 2023, but McDaniels was purposely calling bad plays after paying the man 40+ mil, because he wanted Carr to look bad and make himself look bad by not winning games.

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You do have to give Rich some credit and Jacobs because Carr was God awful during that playoff run.

13 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Couple of problems with this. Elite production is very definitely not guaranteed so you could end up with a cheap and crappy QB, plus I keep getting told that Garoppolo is a ‘winner’ and he’s the main reason behind the winning as opposed to the team carrying him. Why on earth would we move on from a guy who just wins all the time? That would seem counter productive I’d it was really true.

See KC with Alex Smith at QB then drafting Mahomes. You’ll get your answer

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Carr was rusty the previous season, I mean he carried us to the playoffs with an amazing 5tds 4ints and 4fumbles in the last 4 games. His horrible play carried over into 2023, but McDaniels was purposely calling bad plays after paying the man 40+ mil, because he wanted Carr to look bad and make himself look bad by not winning games.

Don’t remind me 🤦🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

See KC with Alex Smith at QB then drafting Mahomes. You’ll get your answer

I think you’re missing my point! Or avoiding it 😁

I totally understand about having an average place holder at QB then trying to upgrade with a high potential rookie. No problem there whatsoever. I think Garoppolo is a very average to decent QB (injuries aside).

However, I keep getting told that Garoppolo is a proven winner and I believe it is yourself thinks he’s going to lead us to a 10 win season. I believe  you also put the 49ers wins on Garoppolo’s shoulders rather than him being carried by the team, and posted numerous ‘advanced stats’ attempting to demonstrate he’s a ‘winner’.

If he’s truly this ‘winner’ and can drag this very incomplete and patchy team (does anyone think we have a good overall roster) to a 10 win record and into the playoffs then surely he’s a top 5 to 10 QB, and by extension if we’ve already got a good to very good QB then there’s a massive risk in trying to upgrade. It’s like the Chargers trying to upgrade from Herbert or Baltimore trying to upgrade from Jackson. Yes there are better QBs out there but the chances of getting a significant upgrade are very, very slim.

Garoppolo is either a proven winner and hence top QB or just a journeyman place holder. Sadly I believe the latter until proven otherwise.