Buccaneers sign QB Baker Mayfield (1 year, $8.5M)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Nice 4 years your a genius

I 100% conceed I was wrong on Mayfield's personality. The narrative surronding him as a questionable locker-room prescense was false and pretty evident looking back now that those reports stemmed from the dysfunction that was the Browns coaching staff, culture and players they had in place at the time. He was well respected with the Rams and Bucs.

I've already said Baker had a much better year than I ever anticipated he would with us, so not really sure what you're going for here with this comment? He played extremely well in a contract year and got rewarded with a multi-year deal. Good for him and good for Bucs on being able to retain him at a very reasonable monetary commitment from them comparitively to what others have gotten. 

He's essentially in the exact same boat as Geno Smith was coming off 2023 (hence why he got almost the exact same deal after you figure in the yearly QB inflation on deals). Geno regressed in 2024 and I still don't think it's a given that Mayfield continues to ascend and doesn't go down a similar path (probably not to the same degree Geno did) of some regression. After having watched Mayfield in 2024, I am much higher on his ability that I was coming into last year. I thought he was a 'fringe' starter at that time, but think he's a mid-tier QB now. Let's not sit here and act like he's proven to be more than that to this point though. This team was still 9-8 and while we did win (1) playoff game, it was against a team that came limping into the playoffs. 

Also, I think your coutning your chickens really early in saying '4' years. The way this contract is structured, we could easily move off of him without significnat  cap implications after this upcoming season if it came to that, let alone year (3) of the deal.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 11:59 AM, indifference said:

I doubt it. You don't even type in proper sentence structure most of the time, so I already know your 12 year old is in hell trying understand what you say. Degenerates(you) should never be procreating in the first place.

Relax

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I 100% concede I was wrong on Mayfield's personality. The narrative surrounding him as a questionable locker-room presence was false and pretty evident looking back now that those reports stemmed from the dysfunction that was the Browns coaching staff, culture and players they had in place at the time. He was well respected with the Rams and Bucs.

💪 to you admitting you were mistaken. My prediction is that Baker will be even better this year. He finally got loyalty back from an organization and IMO it's about to be a beautiful thing.

48 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Relax

4 inches of snow today in Jackson hole

she had a3.5 gpa 

I still due calculus and physics in my head at 63.

besides you are the liar because you could understand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

💪 to you admitting you were mistaken. My prediction is that Baker will be even better this year. He finally got loyalty back from an organization and IMO it's about to be a beautiful thing.

Nice this buds for you

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I 100% conceed I was wrong on Mayfield's personality. The narrative surronding him as a questionable locker-room prescense was false and pretty evident looking back now that those reports stemmed from the dysfunction that was the Browns coaching staff, culture and players they had in place at the time. He was well respected with the Rams and Bucs.

I've already said Baker had a much better year than I ever anticipated he would with us, so not really sure what you're going for here with this comment? He played extremely well in a contract year and got rewarded with a multi-year deal. Good for him and good for Bucs on being able to retain him at a very reasonable monetary commitment from them comparitively to what others have gotten. 

He's essentially in the exact same boat as Geno Smith was coming off 2023 (hence why he got almost the exact same deal after you figure in the yearly QB inflation on deals). Geno regressed in 2024 and I still don't think it's a given that Mayfield continues to ascend and doesn't go down a similar path (probably not to the same degree Geno did) of some regression. After having watched Mayfield in 2024, I am much higher on his ability that I was coming into last year. I thought he was a 'fringe' starter at that time, but think he's a mid-tier QB now. Let's not sit here and act like he's proven to be more than that to this point though. This team was still 9-8 and while we did win (1) playoff game, it was against a team that came limping into the playoffs. 

Also, I think your coutning your chickens really early in saying '4' years. The way this contract is structured, we could easily move off of him without significnat  cap implications after this upcoming season if it came to that, let alone year (3) of the deal.

You could be right

But if you look at Mayfield numbers with

competent wide receiving they are pretty much what you got.

that said can you name the wide receivers when mayfield played Mahomes to a standstill.

right now it is in Tampa bays power to have the best  wide receiving core in the nfl and just outscore everyone in the NFC south

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

You could be right

But if you look at Mayfield numbers with

competent wide receiving they are pretty much what you got.

that said can you name the wide receivers when mayfield played Mahomes to a standstill.

right now it is in Tampa bays power to have the best  wide receiving core in the nfl and just outscore everyone in the NFC south

He has a good defense too so maybe Baker will do just that. Baker also had one of the greatest college football games of all time going toe-to-toe with Mahones in a shootout and coming out on top. Baker has the will to win. He has a lot of playoff upside. The big stage doesn't scare him. He's still young and will continue to improve

TL;DR no, this bud's for you, Mike 🍻

5 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I truly hope you're right and he's even better than he was last year. Would only make that contract even more like a steal for the Bucs.

• Like 1

Its a solid deal but if Baker regresses and it goes south - it means we're still somewhat stuck with him another year. 

I mean the bucs were top 5 in the weakest schedules in the league - still went 9-8. Were 1-5 against playoff teams. 

While we won a playoff game - still beat an Eagles team that was sinking (getting trounced by Seattle, arizona, and NYG to close the reg. season) - anyone could;ve beaten them that night at home. 

Could Baker be better with a better coaching staff? Ahh maybe. Who knows. I think his upside has been reached. Happy to see him have the contract bc he's a likeable guy. I think this upcoming year - we'll need to really see what he's made of with a tougher schedule. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Its a solid deal but if Baker regresses and it goes south - it means we're still somewhat stuck with him another year. 

I mean the bucs were top 5 in the weakest schedules in the league - still went 9-8. Were 1-5 against playoff teams. 

While we won a playoff game - still beat an Eagles team that was sinking (getting trounced by Seattle, arizona, and NYG to close the reg. season) - anyone could;ve beaten them that night at home. 

Could Baker be better with a better coaching staff? Ahh maybe. Who knows. I think his upside has been reached. Happy to see him have the contract bc he's a likeable guy. I think this upcoming year - we'll need to really see what he's made of with a tougher schedule. 

You could be right but he has some games north of Eli manning,Peyton manning, and burrows in the playoffs that is good enough to win a superbowl.

just remember he beat a decent defense in Pittsburgh by a truckload of points not even Brady in his prime beat the Steelers with that point total.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I mean, it wouldn't be ideal, but they could move off him after this season and they wouldn't be handcuffed. They could make it work:

If the team decides to release him, they will take on a $29.250 million dead cap hit, but still save $10.375 million in salary cap room. And if the team decides to make that cut a post-June 1 move they can spread that dead cap hit across 2025 ($19.625 million) and 2026 ($9.625 million).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtmmike said:

You could be right but he has some games north of Eli manning,Peyton manning, and burrows in the playoffs that is good enough to win a superbowl.

just remember he beat a decent defense in Pittsburgh by a truckload of points not even Brady in his prime beat the Steelers with that point total.

Sorry are you comparing Baker to 4 guys who've won/been to super bowls? 

Will say Eli was 80% mediocre his entire career with 2 ELITE playoff runs which might get him a HOF ballot or not - who knows. 

That Pit/CLE game - Big Ben fumbled/threw picks early that built a 21-0 lead in the first 7 minutes of the game. 

I'm not going to clown on Baker nor is my intent. He's not the messiah of a QB you seem to gaslight here. 

Edited by RedandPewterReturns

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I mean, it wouldn't be ideal, but they could move off him after this season and they wouldn't be handcuffed. They could make it work:

Yea i'm a little uneasy eating that money if I were a GM, but it is what it is. Even if he blunders - Baker still isn't the type of QB that would lead a full end tank job. To me - hes the guy that operates a 7-10 to 10-7 Floor/ceiling. Not #1 overall pick terrible but also more fringe playoff worthy performances. 

3 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Sorry are you comparing Baker to 4 guys who've won/been to super bowls? 

Will say Eli was 80% mediocre his entire career with 2 ELITE playoff runs which might get him a HOF ballot or not - who knows. 

That Pit/CLE game - Big Ben fumbled/threw picks early that built a 21-0 lead in the first 7 minutes of the game. 

I'm not going to clown on Baker nor is my intent. He's not the messiah of a QB you seem to gaslight here. 

Just pointing he can be part of team that wins Super Bowl witch is what you want.

as far as consistency he has a higher qb rating then Super Bowl winners that you pointed out.

also in the Pittsburgh game he had north of a 110 rating 

nobody criticizes Tom Brady for turning turnovers into points

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Just pointing he can be part of team that wins Super Bowl witch is what you want.

as far as consistency he has a higher qb rating then Super Bowl winners that you pointed out.

also in the Pittsburgh game he had north of a 110 rating 

nobody criticizes Tom Brady for turning turnovers into points

You can generate a QB rating of 90 in a 3 TD 2 INT game anymore. QBR vs. QB rating. The league today hinders the defense. 

Some statistics show Baker was just as good as Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes this year too. I doubt either team is giving up their star QB for Baker straight up too. 

For Baker to be able to win a Super Bowl - I need to see a better record than 1-5 vs. Playoff teams. Being in Tampa in the weakest division - 9-8 heck even 8-9 can get you a division title until the rest of the division improves. Jury is out on Atlanta as they signed a 37 year old Cousins coming off Achiles surgery. 

I get it - you are a Browns fan...I too would be made at being stuck with that awful contract for deshaun watson. I'd rather pay baker 50MM guaranteed vs. 250 mm. 

• Like 2