Buccaneers sign QB Baker Mayfield (1 year, $8.5M)

RaidersAreOne

Glad they're keeping this an open competition. Mayfield is not the long-term answer (at least if it was me, I'm not giving him a multi-year deal even if he has a good showing thgis season). He's a questionable locker room prescence from what I've read/heard and he has a personalitly that clashes with many. Not the  guy I want leading my team. 

Like @ravishingone has said, I hope this move doesn't preclude us from taking a QB in the draft. 

• Like 1

Ok how many of you geniuses predicted Geno Smith break out year.

This qb put up 40 on the Cowboys

And 50 on the Steelers 

He is also undefeated against Burrows how many qbs due you face that Cincinnati would give you Burrows plus picks?

Please answer all those questions is he Tom Brady no

He has beaten

Cousins

Allen

Daniel Jones

Leshaun

Roethlisberger 

Lamar

The entire afc east

Tannehill

Just who were you going to get that has that resume at any price?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

And 50 on the Steelers 

He is also undefeated against Burrows how many qbs due you face that Cincinnati would give you Burrows plus picks?

He has beaten

Cousins

Allen

Daniel Jones

Leshaun

Roethlisberger 

Lamar

The entire afc east

Tannehill

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

He also couldn't ever get the ball to O'Dell and Jarvis, when he had a stud backfield (Chubb+Hunt), and very good OL

So let's just relax lol

Now that Mr. Dangerous is on the team I hope he kills it, but he definitely comes with question marks, or else he wouldn't be signing a 1 year prove it deal.

9 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

He also couldn't ever get the ball to O'Dell and Jarvis, when he had a stud backfield (Chubb+Hunt), and very good OL

So let's just relax lol

Now that Mr. Dangerous is on the team I hope he kills it, but he definitely comes with question marks, or else he wouldn't be signing a 1 year prove it deal.

He seemed to play better when Odell was injured in 2020 though. Odell can be an asset or toxic depending on his mood. I'd never want him in the locker room.

• Like 2

I will say this: Baker at 4.5 million with potential incentives is much better than the Daniel Jones contract the Giants are stuck with the next 3 years. 

At least Bakers scenario is he was hurt 80% of 2021 and went to a dumpster fire coach that was on thin ice since the end of 2021. Theres promise to see what he did with 24 hours prep to win for the rams in his first game. Shows leadership and grit right there in my opinion bc I believe some of the things in the media are well overblown on his locker room presence. McVay wanted him back and the Rams wanted to move Stafford but $$$ and dead cap wins all there. 

I think signing baker is whats best. His upside trumps Brissett's bc Brissett has 0 upside. We know he's not going to stretch the field at all and is limited. 

He came cheap. And if Trask can't beat him out - we know Trask is not the guy - even if Baker underperforms. 

11 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

So let's just relax lol

Question give me there numbers sense they split with Mayfield both went undrafted last year.

12 hours ago, mtmmike said:

And 50 on the Steelers 

He has beaten

Cousins

Allen

Daniel Jones

Leshaun

Roethlisberger 

Lamar

The entire afc east

Tannehill

Dont care. We play the games to win championships here not for reg season statistics, this is Tampa Bay. Baker has done nothing to show us that he is capable of being a championship level type qb. He could not work out with Odell which is insane because he got to the Rams and totally performed. Baker accuracy is an issue here. 

Baker will have us at 8-8, 7-10 football if he is our starter at best. I rather Tampa suck this fall and draft a rookie qb. Yeah Geno played inspiring football in SEA but even he will admit he isnt the long term answer there. 

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Question give me there numbers sense they split with Mayfield both went undrafted last year.

Why is Mayfield on his 4th team in last 3 years? There is a reason. He's been one of the least efficient QB's in all of football during that span. he played better with the Rams in this capacity, but it was extremely limited sample size and honestly a lot of it probably had to do with the scheme/coaching from McVay. 

The dude is a fringe starter/back-up QB and nothing more. He'll help you get 6-9 wins on a rebuilding to middling team.