Buccaneers sign QB Baker Mayfield (1 year, $8.5M)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Maybe I'm being homer biased, but I don't see Evans leaving the Bucs. I think they work out a new deal for him to retire a Buc. I think he's back and they don't want to break-up the Evans and Mayfield chemistry, especially with a new OC. 

Also don't think Mayfield is getting above the $35M AAV mark. I think the Geno smith contract was very much in-line with what we should expect. I think we're looking at $27-33M AAV. I'll say it's (3) year, $93M with somewhere between $50-65M guaranteed. 

Excellent post 

to answer post

5years at 100 million

nice signing bonus for mayfield 

then extend Evan’s,Winfield the safety redu and extend Wirfs deal to lessen the hit this year.

then drafts a stud tackle a superb safety plus 

slot receiver .

then next year a stud cornerback and 2 interior linemen.

On 12/16/2023 at 9:50 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Baker Mayfield is not a franchise QB. End of story. 

He's solid if the team is generally good or great around him. I don't think the Bowles/Canales schematics are doing him or the entire offense any favors. Bowles wants to win ugly with good defense and conservative offense approach. 

Do not agree with this at all. Maybe a better coach would help Baker improve or he would look better than he has? I don't know. I don't see franchise QB. I see a serviceable average starter that is in that 15-20 tier of 32 QBs in the NFL. 

Sadly - you have to dish out 30-35 MM for one of those type of starters. 

If we win the division - he will be back. We will be too far down in the draft to get a guy like Daniels who's stock is top 10 it seems. Depends on how the Bucs and other teams view Penix. Some see him as a mid first. Others early second. I personally like him. Think hes very smart and on point with his throws. Some bad throws look to be on the receiver/miss communication with receivers not named Owunzee. 

Your a genius sure looked good in the pro

bowl.

i know it is only 1 game

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Excellent post 

to answer post

5years at 100 million

nice signing bonus for mayfield 

then extend Evan’s,Winfield the safety redu and extend Wirfs deal to lessen the hit this year.

then drafts a stud tackle a superb safety plus 

slot receiver .

then next year a stud cornerback and 2 interior linemen.

I believe we have a solid Tackle in Goedeke on the right side. In 2022, he faced significant challenges adjusting to the NFL, but he has made significant strides this year, evident in his PFF grade improving from 48.7 in 2022 to 73.4 in 2023. Therefore, I don't think we need to make any changes to the tackle position this year.

However, we do need to address the safety position next to Winfield Jr, as McCollum is serviceable but we can aim for an upgrade, especially considering Neal is gone. I think exploring free agency for this position is a great idea.

Regarding the Slot Receiver, I believe Trey Palmer is a solid option, but we could benefit from adding more depth to this position for the latter half of the draft.

Moving on to our draft needs, if we don't address them in free agency, here are the areas we should focus on, not necessarily in this order:

• Cornerback: We could consider players like Kool-Aid or Ennis from Missou in the first or wait till later. (1st to 4th round) is where we should address.
  • Linebacker: We definitely need to address this position, especially with White definitely leaving and the possibility of David retiring soon.
  • Center: With Jensen retiring, we can't rely on Hainsey as a center, so we should prioritize drafting one in the first three rounds.
  • Edge Rusher: It would be wise to consider drafting an Edge Rusher in the first to fourth round, similar to the cornerback position.
  • Halfback: We need to add depth here, even if we re-sign Edmonds.
  • Tight End: While Cotton had a decent year towards the end, the chemistry between him and Baker may not be enough to disregard this position in the early rounds. There's also a rumor linking us to Mike Gesicki.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, xlfrosti said:

I believe we have a solid Tackle in Goedeke on the right side. In 2022, he faced significant challenges adjusting to the NFL, but he has made significant strides this year, evident in his PFF grade improving from 48.7 in 2022 to 73.4 in 2023. Therefore, I don't think we need to make any changes to the tackle position this year.

However, we do need to address the safety position next to Winfield Jr, as McCollum is serviceable but we can aim for an upgrade, especially considering Neal is gone. I think exploring free agency for this position is a great idea.

Regarding the Slot Receiver, I believe Trey Palmer is a solid option, but we could benefit from adding more depth to this position for the latter half of the draft.

Moving on to our draft needs, if we don't address them in free agency, here are the areas we should focus on, not necessarily in this order:

• Cornerback: We could consider players like Kool-Aid or Ennis from Missou in the first or wait till later. (1st to 4th round) is where we should address.
  • Linebacker: We definitely need to address this position, especially with White definitely leaving and the possibility of David retiring soon.
  • Center: With Jensen retiring, we can't rely on Hainsey as a center, so we should prioritize drafting one in the first three rounds.
  • Edge Rusher: It would be wise to consider drafting an Edge Rusher in the first to fourth round, similar to the cornerback position.
  • Halfback: We need to add depth here, even if we re-sign Edmonds.
  • Tight End: While Cotton had a decent year towards the end, the chemistry between him and Baker may not be enough to disregard this position in the early rounds. There's also a rumor linking us to Mike Gesicki.

Excellent post maybe the best on the board 

there is a excellent chance that you get 2pro bowlers with that draft.

my thought on the line until you can get 3 down 2yards consistently done draft lineman

On 2/5/2024 at 8:58 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Maybe I'm being homer biased, but I don't see Evans leaving the Bucs. I think they work out a new deal for him to retire a Buc. I think he's back and they don't want to break-up the Evans and Mayfield chemistry, especially with a new OC. 

Also don't think Mayfield is getting above the $35M AAV mark. I think the Geno smith contract was very much in-line with what we should expect. I think we're looking at $27-33M AAV. I'll say it's (3) year, $93M with somewhere between $50-65M guaranteed. 

Where I disagree: He's only 6 years in the league. Geno was drafted in 2012 so he's 6 years older. I think Baker will get more. 

On 2/5/2024 at 2:42 PM, mtmmike said:

Your a genius sure looked good in the pro

bowl.

i know it is only 1 game

Shorts and flags bud. Terrible argument. 

I think the take is accurate. Mayfield is coming back. Heres where I'm weary: 

- That was the weakest schedule I've seen in a while 

- This is the weakest division in the history of the NFL in BACK TO BACK years. 

Schedule will be tougher next year no doubt playing the AFC west and NFC east along with the Ravens, Lions, and Niners again. 

On 2/10/2024 at 2:24 PM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Where I disagree: He's only 6 years in the league. Geno was drafted in 2012 so he's 6 years older. I think Baker will get more. 

If we were talking about Length of term of a deal, then I'd 100% agree it would have major impact. I don't think it's going to have much impact on the AAV though, as you're talking about a 2-3 year deal for both.

Like I said, Geno's deal is a framework for a Baker'sdeal vs. the actual terms. Baker is going to get more naturally just becausae these QB deals go up every year anyway. I don't think it's going to be significantly more AAV though tan Geno, I think you're talking 3-6M more on AAV. 

On 2/12/2024 at 12:46 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

If we were talking about Length of term of a deal, then I'd 100% agree it would have major impact. I don't think it's going to have much impact on the AAV though, as you're talking about a 2-3 year deal for both.

Like I said, Geno's deal is a framework for a Baker'sdeal vs. the actual terms. Baker is going to get more naturally just becausae these QB deals go up every year anyway. I don't think it's going to be significantly more AAV though tan Geno, I think you're talking 3-6M more on AAV. 

yeah I mean honestly i'm hesitant to give him 2 years guranteed which is where I think they land off a 3 year deal...mostly 55-65 MM will be guaranteed. We had Baker on one of the cheapest contracts ever for a starter lol. I honestly think we're still going to give him basically a raise to another prove it level contract. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 9:49 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

yeah I mean honestly i'm hesitant to give him 2 years guranteed which is where I think they land off a 3 year deal...mostly 55-65 MM will be guaranteed. We had Baker on one of the cheapest contracts ever for a starter lol. I honestly think we're still going to give him basically a raise to another prove it level contract. 

As we should. No chance we make the same mistake like the Giants did. Gave Daniel bonehead Jones a fat contract after 1 season of good play just isn't smart. Licht knows it so we'll see exactly the hard number in a three weeks or so.

On 2/19/2024 at 5:50 PM, indifference said:

As we should. No chance we make the same mistake like the Giants did. Gave Daniel bonehead Jones a fat contract after 1 season of good play just isn't smart. Licht knows it so we'll see exactly the hard number in a three weeks or so.

To be fair, Daniel Jones was just slightly above average that year lol 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 9:12 PM, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

He also couldn't ever get the ball to O'Dell and Jarvis, when he had a stud backfield (Chubb+Hunt), and very good OL

So let's just relax lol

Now that Mr. Dangerous is on the team I hope he kills it, but he definitely comes with question marks, or else he wouldn't be signing a 1 year prove it deal.

What are o dells stats sense separation from

mayfield?

On 2/19/2024 at 3:50 PM, indifference said:

Your a genius

• Like 1

This deal is about what I expected. It is essentially a (2) year bridge deal. It's a little more than Geno's contract, but not near the level of Daniel Jones. It's one of those deals that actually looks good/fair for both team and the player. 

I'm perfectly content with it - only $50M in guaranteed money and more than 3/4 of that due this coming season. Allows us to cut bait if need be after 2026 relatively easy with no significant dead money/cap implications. 

I hope he balls out and earns the $115M max level over next (3) years.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Your a genius

I am, thank you for the affirmation. This contract is nowhere near Daniel Jones. Jones is guaranteed 82 million while Baker is ONLY $50 million!  

“GREAT deal for #Bucs, Baker Mayfield. 3 years w/$50 mil fully guaranteed for 2 yrs. $30 mil base in 2024 is guaranteed. If the team wants to move on after 1 yr, they'll eat $20 mil in dead cap $, but save $10 mil from his $30 mil base in '25. $40 mil base in '26 not guaranteed.”

Edited by indifference

56 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

This deal is about what I expected. It is essentially a (2) year bridge deal. It's a little more than Geno's contract, but not near the level of Daniel Jones. It's one of those deals that actually looks good/fair for both team and the player. 

I'm perfectly content with it - only $50M in guaranteed money and more than 3/4 of that due this coming season. Allows us to cut bait if need be after 2026 relatively easy with no significant dead money/cap implications. 

I hope he balls out and earns the $115M max level over next (3) years.  

Apparently @mtmmike is the only person who doesn't understand terms and conditions of different player contracts in comparison. YIKES

It's 17th overall in APY and the second lowest APY for a QB in the league (just above Geno) for QB's that aren't on rookie deals. :)

Edited by indifference