Buccaneers sign QB Baker Mayfield (1 year, $8.5M)

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

You can generate a QB rating of 90 in a 3 TD 2 INT game anymore. QBR vs. QB rating. The league today hinders the defense. 

Some statistics show Baker was just as good as Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes this year too. I doubt either team is giving up their star QB for Baker straight up too. 

For Baker to be able to win a Super Bowl - I need to see a better record than 1-5 vs. Playoff teams. Being in Tampa in the weakest division - 9-8 heck even 8-9 can get you a division title until the rest of the division improves. Jury is out on Atlanta as they signed a 37 year old Cousins coming off Achiles surgery. 

I get it - you are a Browns fan...I too would be made at being stuck with that awful contract for deshaun watson. I'd rather pay baker 50MM guaranteed vs. 250 mm. 

*leshaun 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 11:00 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Its a solid deal but if Baker regresses and it goes south - it means we're still somewhat stuck with him another year. 

I mean the bucs were top 5 in the weakest schedules in the league - still went 9-8. Were 1-5 against playoff teams. 

While we won a playoff game - still beat an Eagles team that was sinking (getting trounced by Seattle, arizona, and NYG to close the reg. season) - anyone could;ve beaten them that night at home. 

Could Baker be better with a better coaching staff? Ahh maybe. Who knows. I think his upside has been reached. Happy to see him have the contract bc he's a likeable guy. I think this upcoming year - we'll need to really see what he's made of with a tougher schedule. 

He also beat every qb in the nfc prior to this year.

so do you want to trust 5 years or 5 weeks?

4 hours ago, mtmmike said:

He also beat every qb in the nfc prior to this year.

so do you want to trust 5 years or 5 weeks?

well 1-5 would mean 6 weeks. 

Beating every NFC QB prior to this year? uhhh what's that got to do with anything? Which of them are elite and last i check - QB is offense. It's the defense who contains QB's 

Edited by RedandPewterReturns

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 2:20 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Wait, you want me to only answer yes/no, but then you ask me what his record is against NFC teams? 

Since we're doing this...

What's his career record as a starter?

what's his career record against teams that are .500 or better?

(hint neither one is good)

How many games did you guys win this year?

On 3/16/2024 at 9:15 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

well 1-5 would mean 6 weeks. 

Beating every NFC QB prior to this year? uhhh what's that got to do with anything? Which of them are elite and last i check - QB is offense. It's the defense who contains QB's 

Not sure what you mean

hurst

beat dak

beat cousins

there is 3wins

the only qb that figures to be around outside of those 3 purdy

i believe he has also beaten stafford and goff

that is 5 wins 

never let a good emotion interfere with fact

I know you can not understand a thing I say.

On 3/15/2023 at 11:44 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Glad they're keeping this an open competition. Mayfield is not the long-term answer (at least if it was me, I'm not giving him a multi-year deal even if he has a good showing thgis season). He's a questionable locker room prescence from what I've read/heard and he has a personalitly that clashes with many. Not the  guy I want leading my team. 

Like @ravishingone has said, I hope this move doesn't preclude us from taking a QB in the draft. 

Another genius remark

On 1/7/2024 at 5:21 PM, indifference said:

Brady OC was Byron no job Leftwich last year.

Baker has a way better play caller in Dave Caneles. And if you were actually a bucs fan instead of a baker jock slobber you would know better to compare the two. Completely different situations.

Baker couldnt beat Chad Henne a playoff game. The goat delivered a championship already in 2020. We forgive him in Tampa for his lackluster last season. What has Baker done other then one and done in the playoffs? Oh wait….

Excuses

you did not predict mayfield would have this 

year with a world class offensive coordinator 

how is your day going

On 3/11/2024 at 10:54 AM, mtmmike said:

The same as Brady you mean.

w

Mayfield will have 75 million in after tax cash 

in 3years.

Apperantly you do not understand 

dare show me how I came to that figure.

Aprently I understand 33plus 5

i also understand the deritive of 6x to the second power.

On 1/2/2024 at 8:28 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Cincy is 8-8 with a back-up QB. Just let that sink in.

Of course he has more TD's and passing yards, he's played 3 more seasons than Burrow. Burrow is on pace (even with the injury years) to pace all of Mayfield's stats to date. It's pretty evidient who the better QB is and I gaurantee you if you had Mayfield as a FA and Burrow as a FA, who 32/32 NFL teams would take. 

Baker Mayfield has (1) playoff win in 7 years. Burrow has (5) playoff wins and a SB appearance. Until Mayfield even reaches a SB, he doesn't hold a candle to Burrow. 

You forgot mayfield would win a playoff game this year while he would not.

On 12/31/2023 at 1:52 PM, indifference said:

Ahhh cant wait til the bump next week when we beat the sorry Panthers and we pretend this stinker didnt happen LOL.

I certainly wont. #firstplace

How about a playoff win

4400 yards

On 12/31/2023 at 12:42 PM, RedandPewterReturns said:

lol he's not dropping anything really. 

Nothing against Baker - the assessment is just realistic: Weak schedule, weak division, good OL and WR talent around him. When he gets money and you take away 1 of two tier 1 receivers: what happens? 

Genius what wide receivers did you lose 

I know you do not understand me

On 12/31/2023 at 7:15 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

It's You're** 

If you're going to come here with insults - make sure to at least sound smarter than a 4th grader. 

Tampa bay playoff winner you must be in the 3rd grade.

On 12/28/2023 at 2:49 PM, indifference said:

Absolutely weird seeing Browns fan come pouring into the Bucs forum doing a victory lap when this Bucs team have not beat a good team all season.

Guess when you arent use to winning seasons it should be worn with a badge of honor I suppose. We are very fortunate the NFC South is a pile of crap from top to bottom. 

Baker has played well above his current contract and should be brought back for a mutli year deal. I don’t think he is the long term answer bc he has not played well against good teams(surprise)

Bucs fans have seen this story before Jameis, Freeman etc…thats why nobody in Tampa thinks he’s our qb for the future…

Your a genius

On 10/17/2023 at 4:32 AM, indifference said:

He stinks and cant beat good teams. 

Will play good against average to below average teams to fool you into thinking he was a good player.

That said Bucs have other issues. 

Philadelphia