Would you make the trade?

vegas492

Don't Be a Homer!  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If you thought you were a QB away from being a legit conference finalists or Super Bowl team, would you trade pick #13 in the NFL draft for a 39 year old quarterback? You know you will have him for one year for sure. 50% you get him for year two. 10% chance for year three.

• Yes, if I'm a QB away from having a realistic chance, that's better value than pick #13, because...lucky #13, amiright?
    • Nope. Ain't paying the price of the 13th overall pick for a QB who will play for one year.
    • @Vegas492 is an idiot, our mods are idiots, @Norm is an idiot, @Outpost31 is not an idiot, @Norm's mom's meatloaf sucks.....

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

If I'm the Jets I package 13 and whatever else it takes to move up for Richardson.

Dude is raw.  Needs to be groomed for a few years.  They throw him out there in year 1 it wouldn't be pretty.  Hell any of these rookie QB's are going to need some time before they are ready to start.  If the Jets want to win now it's Rodgers or bust. 

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Can you give me an example of this in recent history? Serious question because I'm not recalling anything recent. I'm gonna exclude Stafford trade as they had no idea, he'd get a serious neck injury. They thought they'd get 5 years out of him. 

Not talking the fleecing, we took with John Hadl either. 

Just so you all know, they shot Dan Devine’s dog because he was killing chickens, not because Devine traded the team’s future away for John Hadl. The dog actually advised against the trade. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Just so you all know, they shot Dan Devine’s dog because he was killing chickens, not because Devine traded the team’s future away for John Hadl. The dog actually advised against the trade. 

The farmer had many conversations with Devine about his dog's activities.   There was a build up over time to the actual shooting.

8 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

The farmer had many conversations with Devine about his dog's activities.   There was a build up over time to the actual shooting.

From a mere boy to not that long ago I had it in my head that Devine was so despised that the locals shot his dog. Black humor became rumor became accepted truth. When the story resurfaces nowadays people beat it back pretty quickly with more accurate context. Still, the interruption of a decade long return to Packer pride and glory had people despising Dan Devine.

I did say I’d trade #13 for the shot, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t first work my butt off to get a better deal.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Dude is raw.  Needs to be groomed for a few years.  They throw him out there in year 1 it wouldn't be pretty.  Hell any of these rookie QB's are going to need some time before they are ready to start.  If the Jets want to win now it's Rodgers or bust. 

Oh I know. And I know that goes completely against the common thought that the Jets should try to win now.

But it's still very likely the best decision they could make as a franchise. Draft him and sit him except for like working up to 5-10 specialty snaps per game by the end of the season. And go from there. 

That's what I'd do. I'd trade up to land him and then surround him with objectively great QB and offensive coaching and ease him into the NFL game with a few focused snaps each week. Let him intensely focus on a few things that play to his strengths and let him get a feel for the game. But don't put the pressure on him as a starter. Sign like Teddy Bridgewater or something.

Who cares if you punt on one season. You still have a shot at the playoffs with Bridgewater and getting Richardson a handful of snaps per game.

I think that was the Trey Lance plan but it got derailed by injuries.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Give us the play by play Vegas.

It was a nice day on January 1, 2023.  My beautiful bride's birthday.  In-laws were coming over to help celebrate.  I got out the wimpy cordless blower and started clearing leaves off of the walkway to our house.

Neighbors are coming home from walking their 100+ pound dog.  They stop to say hi.  About 8 feet away from me, on their property.  I'm on mine.  The dog is on a leash.  Unprovoked that thing pulled the leash from his owner's hands, jumped and sank his fangs into my left forearm.

2 hours later I'm back from the ER with puncture bites on the forearms and a lot of lot of abrasions.  Another 2 hours to get the police report done.  Side note, it was their 9'th dog bite that day.  Took me about 5 weeks of PT to get the strength back in that arm.  

First time I've been bit by a dog.  

So in that story, I'm the chickens!

But, this chicken has an attorney!  

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It was a nice day on January 1, 2023.  My beautiful bride's birthday.  In-laws were coming over to help celebrate.  I got out the wimpy cordless blower and started clearing leaves off of the walkway to our house.

Neighbors are coming home from walking their 100+ pound dog.  They stop to say hi.  About 8 feet away from me, on their property.  I'm on mine.  The dog is on a leash.  Unprovoked that thing pulled the leash from his owner's hands, jumped and sank his fangs into my left forearm.

2 hours later I'm back from the ER with puncture bites on the forearms and a lot of lot of abrasions.  Another 2 hours to get the police report done.  Side note, it was their 9'th dog bite that day.  Took me about 5 weeks of PT to get the strength back in that arm.  

First time I've been bit by a dog.  

So in that story, I'm the chickens!

But, this chicken has an attorney!  

Wow, people gotta control their dogs.  Hope you get compensated for your troubles.

I voted "Yes" to this based on the condition that my current quarterback was young, not proven, and would only lead to 7-8 wins next year if he played.  Being a playoff team with a legitimate shot at going to the Super Bowl is worth the risk. If Rodgers would only barely get me into the playoffs with little to no chance of a Super Bowl, I would say "No".

I guess most Jets fans think Rodgers is not that guy.

I will add this...if the Jets sign Beckham, they are "all in" and that with Rodgers at QB, they have a legit chance at getting to the Super Bowl. This may be what is holding up the trade.  The Jets want Rodgers to commit for more than one year for them to give GB the compensation the Packers want. Signing Beckham who is a friend of Rodgers could be that piece that he wants to get him to agree to stay at least 2 years making the Jets comfortable enough to give up the first round pick. 

Edited by minnypackerfan

15 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Wow, people gotta control their dogs.  Hope you get compensated for your troubles.

Here's to hoping.  Neighbors were shocked that I was filing a lawsuit.

And I'm doing it because after the bite, they said, "Well, we knew he had behavioral problems when we got him."

And still they let him get close enough to me to bite me.

And that phrase is documented on the police report.

No clue what I'm going to get, it won't be much, but it'll be something.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And I'm doing it because after the bite, they said, "Well, we knew he had behavioral problems when we got him."

Have they since put the dog down?

49 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Might be more than you think.  If they have insurance you'll score.  Otherwise I'd hit them up for med bills and let it go. 

Just now, Scoremore said:

Might be more than you think.  If they have insurance you'll score.  Otherwise I'd hit them up for med bills and let it go. 

They have insurance.

I'm told from the lawyer that it is an open and shut case, no doubt about it.

He believes the settlement will be 10-15k.  But, we shall see.