Steelers 2023 Mock Draft

turtle28

Hey guys, it’s been a while since I posted in the Steelers forum, I hope all is well with you. I’m pretty pleased with how the team performed last year given they had Trubisky who was as inconsistent as always & then turned to Kenny but Kenny was just a rookie & made some rookie mistakes but certainly flashed. Still no losing season for Tomlin which is amazing given the injuries they had, inconsistent OL play & the QB stuff I talked about.

George Pickens looked like one of the steals of the 2022 draft, Najee looked good, Pat F looked good as did Diontae Johnson. They sured up their OG position in FA with the signing of Isaac Seomalu the former Philly OG so that was a promising signing. Patrick Peterson was a good signing at CB even if he has lost a step. Cole Holcomb is a solid signing at LB as was Elandon Roberts. As a Commanders fan I know Holcomb well, he’s a solid tackler & will make a few splash plays a year. He’s certainly not a great LB but I’d say he’s above average.

When I look at the roster, I think they need to address SS, as well as find a #3 WR, #3 CB/depth as well as get OT completion for Moore & Chunks. They also need more depth at DL I believe. I tried to address that in this mock.

• PIT
    Brian Branch
    S Alabama

• PIT
    Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

• PIT
    DJ Turner
    CB Michigan

• PIT
    Owen Pappoe
    LB Auburn

• PIT
    Jonathan Mingo
    WR Ole Miss

• PIT
    Karl Brooks
    DT Bowling Green

• PIT
    Alex Forsyth
    OC Oregon

4 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Brian Branch is similar to Arthur Maulet. He will be solid vs the run and weak in coverage. Wouldn't take his skill set at 17.

I like all the guys you selected.

At Alabama he played a lot of big nickel/in the slot. 

If not him, who would you want? 

Joey Porter or another CB? I could see that too & then kick Levi Wallace to the slot.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

At Alabama he played a lot of big nickel/in the slot. 

If not him, who would you want? 

Joey Porter or another CB? I could see that too & then kick Levi Wallace to the slot.

For CBs I prefer Emmanuel Forbes in the 1st.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I can also see Nolan Smith as ILB ( even though you do not like it) and Dawand Jones ( even though I think the Steelers do not see OT as a need).

I dont know why you think that, given the fact theyve met with many early rd tackles.  

However, while everyone is expecting Dan Moore might get replaced, I think they might be open to getting a long term upgrade at RT as well.   Chuks is JAG and cutting him next year saves some decent money.

I personally dont care.   I could go either way on that one...but I think Id prefer going other directions unless the value is too much to pass on.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 43M said:

I dont know why you think that, given the fact theyve met with many early rd tackles.  

However, while everyone is expecting Dan Moore might get replaced, I think they might be open to getting a long term upgrade at RT as well.   Chuks is JAG and cutting him next year saves some decent money.

I personally dont care.   I could go either way on that one...but I think Id prefer going other directions unless the value is too much to pass on.

so other than D. Jones and P. Johnson, what other OT have they met with? Ones that might be 1st or 2nd rounders?  They have met with more centers than OTs so far.  AS close as I can find it might be Blake Freeman and that was Scouting assistant Kevin Fisher being at his pro day.

30 minutes ago, jebrick said:

so other than D. Jones and P. Johnson, what other OT have they met with? Ones that might be 1st or 2nd rounders?  They have met with more centers than OTs so far.  AS close as I can find it might be Blake Freeman and that was Scouting assistant Kevin Fisher being at his pro day.

Darnell Wright 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Tomlin is quoted as saying he’s “comfortable” with the OT situation. I read that as if there is a chance to upgrade in the draft they will take it but they won’t force it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Darnell Wright 

Have to show me that one.  I get a lot of hand shake and meet and greets at the combine but actual interview to get to know the player.

I do realize that the Tennessee pro-day is this Thursday so we will see.

14 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Have to show me that one.  I get a lot of hand shake and meet and greets at the combine but actual interview to get to know the player.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/.amp/news/darnell-wright-open-changing-meeting-pittsburgh-steelers

UT pro day will certainly be telling, they do not have a lot of top prospects this year outside of Wright and Hyatt.

24 minutes ago, jebrick said:

In that case Wyple and JMS are the only two interior OL.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Okay....even if it was only those two, why would they meet with them if they werent being considered, or if they didn't view OT as SOMEWHAT if an early need?

Again, Im on board with it not necessarily being a dire need, so if we pass on OT, so be it.   I just dont entirely understand the rationale behind saying they dont consider OT a need when they are meeting with early rd prospects.

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Tomlin is quoted as saying he’s “comfortable” with the OT situation. I read that as if there is a chance to upgrade in the draft they will take it but they won’t force it.

Which makes sense, but a) it could be misdirection and b) they wouldn't be looking at early rd guys if they werent considering it, and they would consider it if they didnt see it as somewhat of a need.   

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Okay....even if it was only those two, why would they meet with them if they werent being considered, or if they didn't view OT as SOMEWHAT if an early need?

Again, Im on board with it not necessarily being a dire need, so if we pass on OT, so be it.   I just dont entirely understand the rationale behind saying they dont consider OT a need when they are meeting with early rd prospects.

And offered a contract to the top LT on the market. 

• Like 1