Raiders sign WR DeAndre Carter (1 yr/$2.3M)

NYRaider

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

WR2 was a big need. They got one, while getting a 3rd round pick for Waller. 

CB will be addressed in the draft as it's a deep class. Have good depth there with potential at the 2 spot, need a #1. 

Waller was basically our WR2 though, we just needed another guy with speed that could occasionally win on the outside. They traded for an elite #1 with Adams, extended Waller to be the 2nd option, and extended Renfrow to be the third guy. How many targets was a 4th guy aka a "WR2" going to get if we kept Waller? He would've been the 4th option in the passing game.

As you said contract value says how a team and the rest of the league feels about players. So not sure why a guard like Isaac was overrated for getting a big deal but guys that got minimum deals at CB are good depth and potential starters. 

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This can happen post draft. Still several serviceable options at Oline and Dline. No need to sign one before the draft. OG are relatively easy to grab in the draft day 3. Lots of Dline depth in the class. 

Good teams around the league don't have any issue investing money into their OL / defense. Based on Ziegler's comments he didn't view either as a real need.

They could've just given out minimum deals to WR and a QB then taken some guys in the 4-7th rounds, that'd be enough right?

Edited by NYRaider

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

WR wasn't a huge need and that's where they've been most invested. QB/TE weren't needs coming into the off-season, they created those holes and then filled them. CB seems to be a wash at best at this point letting Rock walk and replacing him with a bunch of minimum guys that haven't ever been in full time roles. 

This. 

I don't actually dislike any of the WR signings individually. 

Where I take issue is that they've put a lot of roster space and money into stockpiling WRs at the expense of other positions of need. 

We know that not all 10 or 11 WRs we currently have are making the roster. We could've done without the overall investment into 3 or 4 of them and used the roster space and money elsewhere. 

Adams, Meyers, Renfrow, and 3 of our signings + any draft picks and/or Adidas would have been fine. 

Cole, Dorsett, Johnson, Sims, Zuber, Turner, Carter, Lacy. That's like 1/10 of our entire preseason roster space. 8 spaces and $4,212,500 in cap space, not counting Carter's contract as I can't find the fine details on it, all for probably 6 out of the 8 of them to be virtually automatic cuts, 5 if we move Renfrow. That's a lot of wasted allocation when we have the other holes, and it's not like FA's were breaking the bank this year. 

Last I counted, our roster was at 73 and we have 12 draft picks. Not a whole lot of wiggle room financially or in terms of cap space to grab post draft cuts without cutting bait with a lot of guys before camp even starts. 

It's just not been a series of wise moves at all. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This. 

I don't actually dislike any of the WR signings individually. 

Where I take issue is that they've put a lot of roster space and money into stockpiling WRs at the expense of other positions of need. 

We know that not all 10 or 11 WRs we currently have are making the roster. We could've done without the overall investment into 3 or 4 of them and used the roster space and money elsewhere. 

Adams, Meyers, Renfrow, and 3 of our signings + any draft picks and/or Adidas would have been fine. 

Cole, Dorsett, Johnson, Sims, Zuber, Turner, Carter, Lacy. That's like 1/10 of our entire preseason roster space. 8 spaces and $4,212,500 in cap space, not counting Carter's contract as I can't find the fine details on it, all for probably 6 out of the 8 of them to be virtually automatic cuts, 5 if we move Renfrow. That's a lot of wasted allocation when we have the other holes, and it's not like FA's were breaking the bank this year. 

Last I counted, our roster was at 73 and we have 12 draft picks. Not a whole lot of wiggle room financially or in terms of cap space to grab post draft cuts without cutting bait with a lot of guys before camp even starts. 

It's just not been a series of wise moves at all. 

Should have told Cole to kick rocks and I expect Renfrow to he traded. 

20 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Assuming our top 3 all stay healthy, how much are any of the other guys going to even play? It'll be like the 5 RB's we carried and didn't use last year, but thankfully we had all 5 and only carried 8 OL. 

Edited by NYRaider