Raiders bring back OL stud Alex Bars

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

You need stability in an organization to keep, retain guys and build a good roster for years.

The constant coaching and scheme changes what we have makes it hard to retain depth guys, since most coaches want their own guys, their own style of players when he joins a new team.

RM first tried to draft for Dennis Allen and "his" scheme, then had to draft for JDR and "his" scheme, then to Gruden and his scheme.

Even Gruden had to switch the D scheme, so Mayock had to somewhat rethink the D draft philosophy...

When you have the coaches and the schemes in place for multiple years it becomes easier to draft, develope and build a quality roster IMO.

We will see, but hopefully guys like Farrell, M.Butler, Zeus will start to show up during this upcoming season and they could become integral part of our team moving forward. If they can step up with Parham and we can put a strong draft together this year, our roster would look a lot better...

It surprises me that GMs bring in new HC's & assistent coaches who have substantially different schemes & philosophies. I would think you settle for a certain type of scheme & play and only marginally adapt that. Meaning you look for coaches who have the same type of scheme preferences. 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

He won’t make it the final 53

I think Bars is 9th OL as of right now. I could easily see us adding 2 OL in the draft. I just think its a waste of 1.5m that could go to Rocks new contract

1. Miller 

2. Parham

3. Elu

4. James

5. Herron

6. Munford

7. Muti

8. Parker

9. Bars

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think Bars is 9th OL as of right now. I could easily see us adding 2 OL in the draft. I just think its a waste of 1.5m that could go to Rocks new contract

1. Miller 

2. Parham

3. Elu

4. James

5. Herron

6. Munford

7. Muti

8. Parker

9. Bars

Yes agreed. We need bodies for OTA and mini camps. Bars bringing continuity for offseason activities. However When it comes to the final 53, he won’t make it. A rookie/ XFL-USFL signing will take his place 

On 4/3/2023 at 6:31 AM, big_palooka said:

This would match my point. Pass on a guy with big time traits, leadership, etc. for "just a guy". The upside of Nolan Smith, you have a franchise level player that changes the trajectory of your defense. Take the conservative pick, you have a guy who probably doesn't get a second contract.

Nowhere do I advocate the Jihand Wards, PJ Halls of the world which is simply trying to outsmart everyone taking a player miles earlier than projected. 

Simply saying when picking, if you have 2 players projected in the same range I like the high ceiling player vs. the solid lower floor player personally. 

You have a major flaws with your logic: (and it’s pretty self serving IMO)

your assuming the High upside guy is going to meet his max potential and the less risky pick is going to be a JAG with no upside of his own.  there Are less risky players who still have great upside.             

I’m not saying don’t take any risks, I’d like to just avoid high risk picks in rounds 1-2.  We HAVE got to nail those picks.  I think we can take higher upside guys in rounds 3-5 instead, where missing or ending up with players who don’t fall short of their draft status is less painful.

Edited by jimkelly02

They gave Bars 600k+ guaranteed on his 1.5M deal.  That’s not a ton of money to guarantee but enough so that they want him to be a backup.  You don’t give camp fodder that much guaranteed.

note-it appears 450k of his 1.08m salary is guaranteed along with his 167.5k signing bonus. Not to mention 125k for his workout bonus.  We’re talking nearly 750k to a guy just to compete in camp if you don’t think he’s going to make it.

Edited by jimkelly02

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

You have a major flaws with your logic: (and it’s pretty self serving IMO)

your assuming the High upside guy is going to meet his max potential and the less risky pick is going to be a JAG with no upside of his own.  there Are less risky players who still have great upside.             

I’m not saying don’t take any risks, I’d like to just avoid high risk picks in rounds 1-2.  We HAVE got to nail those picks.  I think we can take higher upside guys in rounds 3-5 instead, where missing or ending up with players who don’t fall short of their draft status is less painful.

Nolan Smith is a tweener who has mediocre college production, blows up the combine draft stock rises turns into mediocre pro without a position. Seen this script many times before.

15 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Nolan Smith is a tweener who has mediocre college production, blows up the combine draft stock rises turns into mediocre pro without a position. Seen this script many times before.

That’s kind of the point.  I’m not saying don’t draft bases up traits and projecting to the next level.  I’m saying avoid boom or bust players as much as possible.

I think Nolan smith is a perfect example. Why hasn’t he produced more given he’s on a team that’s so stacked he’s not being game planed for.  There are 5+ other edge players who produced better and have high upsides of their own yet we’re able to produce despite being the game planned for.

people can make the Ferrell vs Burns comparison but Burns was highly productive in college.  He also had more transferable traits as a pass rusher… he was able to win with speed and ability and bend the edge at a high rate whereas Ferrell couldn’t do that.  Burns also was able to produce on his own, where as Ferrell was part of a great DL.  Lastly, not all sacks are equal.  If you can get pressure and the sack quickly as the lone pressure that is impressive, compared to getting a late sack where teammates pressure the QB towards you.  Watching tape is key, stats can easily be skewed.

Edited by jimkelly02

43 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

They gave Bars 600k+ guaranteed on his 1.5M deal.  That’s not a ton of money to guarantee but enough so that they want him to be a backup.  You don’t give camp fodder that much guaranteed.

note-it appears 450k of his 1.08m salary is guaranteed along with his 167.5k signing bonus. Not to mention 125k for his workout bonus.  We’re talking nearly 750k to a guy just to compete in camp if you don’t think he’s going to make it.

Might sound like nitpicking but bringing back Bolden, Ameer, Cole, Grassu, Bars, Teamer, Bolton all cost the team over 9-10m. We could have brought in day 3 picks/UDFAs in those slot and used that cap on impact players. Bars likely to make the team with that guarantee. When a guy sucks, we reward them with a raise lol

Edited by Humble_Beast

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, Humble_Beast said:

Might sound like nitpicking but bringing back Bolden, Ameer, Cole, Grassu, Bars, Teamer, Bolton all cost the team over 9-10m. We could have brought in day 3 picks/UDFAs in those slot and used that cap on impact players. Bars likely to make the team with that guarantee. When a guy sucks, we reward them with a raise lol

Been saying this for years.  Giving out contracts just to have vets is stupid and hurts in the long run and it adds up.  I am not interested to see those guys on the field.