Raiders bring back OL stud Alex Bars

Humble_Beast

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Not bringing back Bars would have been addition by subtraction.  I do not think anyone here was satisfied with his play on the field.  Maybe they see something in him at practice or he buys into the system.  I do not know but he is a waste to me if he is on the final roster and a detriment if he is on the field.  I did not want them to spend big in FA last year or this year but at the same time I did not want them to just sign  or resign bad players because they were cheap.  Hopefully he develops but seems like he is JMD's version of Sam Young.

He’s one of those guys I wouldn’t have even invited to camp, let alone make the 53

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

JuSt BeCaUsE tHe JoB dOnE sUcKeD dOeSn'T mEaN iT sUcKeD. 

We should all be like this FO's unwavering stalwart defenders. 

Anything done objectively poorly? "No, just wait. Shouldn't criticize until I, personally, can no longer defend this drivel without looking like a complete and utter fool. Then it's ok.".

Some folks here are going to defend the absolute hell out of this staff in hopes of being able to say "See, I told you so!". That's why they'll continually kick the criticism can down the road so they don't have to feel left out when "I told you so" becomes "Well, we gave them a chance, right?" once it's clear as day they're all alone in their defense. 

No need to be passive aggressive princess.... just call me by my name. 

And no, not really. Some of us are level headed and don't play such trivial games over a sports team. I could not care less about being right. The Raiders don't feed my family. I have more important things to be right about. 

Going to let this regime do their jobs objectively like the last several regimes and judge once all evidence has presented itself. Probably won't be the outcome hoped for, given a lot of the problem stems from the top and you can't change the owner. But, it's entertainment at the end of the day. See what they do with their time here, they deserve that before they are out and the next group of knuckleheads comes in for you all to complain about. 

Can't change anything they are doing, so why not enjoy the ride for better or worse. Some of you tie your identities way to tightly to this football team you have no stake in. It is hilarious how miserably insecure a handful of you are.

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Why would you want a backup who sucks. 

Most back ups would suck as full time starters. That's why they are back ups. 

He can play multiple positions inside, so he can be a solid back up/depth player.

That's how it works 

4 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Most back ups would suck as full time starters. That's why they are back ups. 

He can play multiple positions inside, so he can be a solid back up/depth player.

That's how it works 

It’s nice to have one solid backup for each unit. Young guys also fill up depth charts on good teams. I just don’t see the value in Bars 

47 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

It’s nice to have one solid backup for each unit. Young guys also fill up depth charts on good teams. I just don’t see the value in Bars 

Really neither do I. 

If I had a point, it's that I do not think that every thread with every random minor no big deal doesn't move the needle signing is worthy of another rant from the same dudes about how every move is terrible and the FO is clowns. Get another key on your piano, for Pete's sake. 

It's in every thread, if someone is nice enough to post transactions here, do they all need a SLIGHTLY different version of the same condescending crap?

Imagine if some ultra homer was in every thread, saying that Bars was a Pro Bowler, and DeAndre Carter is the Human Joystick, how annoying that would be? 

It's the same thing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, massraider said:

Really neither do I. 

If I had a point, it's that I do not think that every thread with every random minor no big deal doesn't move the needle signing is worthy of another rant from the same dudes about how every move is terrible and the FO is clowns. Get another key on your piano, for Pete's sake. 

It's in every thread, if someone is nice enough to post transactions here, do they all need a SLIGHTLY different version of the same condescending crap?

Imagine if some ultra homer was in every thread, saying that Bars was a Pro Bowler, and DeAndre Carter is the Human Joystick, how annoying that would be? 

It's the same thing.

Bars is a random backup? He's currently our starting RG.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

And no, not really. Some of us are level headed and don't play such trivial games over a sports team. I could not care less about being right. The Raiders don't feed my family. I have more important things to be right about. 

Nailed it! 😁😁

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, massraider said:

Really neither do I. 

It's the same thing.

👏 Bravo!!

There is a lot to be sceptical about, but almost every single minor to totally insignificant move is greeted by  precisely the same negative statement. And in every single thread!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, massraider said:

Really neither do I. 

It's the same thing.

Meh.

For every person complaining, there's another person saying stop complaining.

18 minutes ago, reddevil said:

👏 Bravo!!

There is a lot to be sceptical about, but almost every single minor to totally insignificant move is greeted by  precisely the same negative statement. And in every single thread!!

Thank you guys and Ziegler, I've seen the light.

bdoHAiD.jpg

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Thank you guys and Ziegler, I've seen the light.

bdoHAiD.jpg

See, I like it when you troll…..made me chuckle!!

And I do agree with a number of points you make. It’s just the sheer critical mass of negative posts, even for the most insignificant thing…. and everywhere you look. Just gets a bit draining is all….

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

"Winning" FA should not be the goal. How many times do you you all need to see the Raiders spend and "win" in FA only to have it be a complete bust before you realize good teams are built through the draft?

The roster is a mess in part because the previous regime tried to fill every hole in FA where statistically 50% of signings never pan out. Then you're left paying dead money to scrubs like Littleton until 2025!

This FA period was about getting better depth on the roster. Guys who like to compete, fill out the roster and  start as needed. Now they can focus on the draft where they can easily add their CB1, Dline, etc. in the top 100 picks to start.

Draft and develop is the way good teams stay on top. The problem with a lot of you is you want instant gratification. 

You can use generic terms like “winning FA” but that doesn’t change the truth.  

Here’s the truth and real question: we had 55m or so in cap space.  We spent almost all of it so we’re not carrying much over to next year.  what did we do with 55M that will be left around for next year? 
we added….

1) an injury prone, stopgap at best QB with 18.75M in dead cap if we move on next year or a 28M cap charge to keep him.  Was this a better deal then signing Baker Mayfield for 1y, 4M?  The way I see it Jimmy G is a one year low level asset that immediately turns into a large debt at the end of the season.  He certainly isn’t the future.

2) good slot WR/WR2 in Meyers.  This one is actually a very good contract too, as there’s only a small 3.7M dead cap after year 1 and modest 12.8M cap hits the last 2 years.  

3) a SS in Epps that can’t cover but is solid in run support.  Cap hits of 4.7m and 7.3M.  Half of his 2nd year deal is guaranteed.  There’s no way we go into next year’s FA period and say we’re happy we’re spending 7.3M on Epps instead of signing whoever we could have got in FA at a similar price.  If we signed Epps for 1yr 4.7M that would an average deal, but when you add the second year to the deal you added a debt not an asset.

4+5) LB Spillane- an borderline starting LB for 2.7m.  Only 0.8M dead cap if cut next year from his 4.3M cap Hit.  At least the 2nd year dead cap is low.  He was basically the same cost as Perryman, but not the same level of player.  Tillery’s deal is very similar and he only has a dead cap of 375k if you cut him from His deal’s 4.175m cap hit next year.  

Your are right about how teams who get labeled by writers, fans, etc “winners of free agency” end up being labeled losers by the same people 1-2 years later when looking back at how it worked out.  Teams that spend a lot of money and just don’t drastically overspend will ALWAYS get labeled as “winners” initially and after a few years I’d guesstimate 70%+ end up being failures. 
But…. That’s not what I AM talking about here.  That’s what YOU are talking about.  What I’m saying is: The difference is what did we build for the future with 55M?  Not much!  I only see a bunch of 1yr rentals, a stopgap QB whose got a big cap hit to move on from, and a solid slot WR, and a few 2 yr contracts for replacement level starters.

Isn’t the goal to be building for the future?  I see next to no future growth here.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

No need to be passive aggressive princess.... just call me by my name

Going to let this regime do their jobs objectively like the last several regimes and judge once all evidence has presented itself. Probably won't be the outcome hoped for, given a lot of the problem stems from the top and you can't change the owner. But, it's entertainment at the end of the day. See what they do with their time here, they deserve that before they are out and the next group of knuckleheads comes in for you all to complain about. 

Can't change anything they are doing, so why not enjoy the ride for better or worse. Some of you tie your identities way to tightly to this football team you have no stake in. It is hilarious how miserably insecure a handful of you are.

Lulz someone thinks they're in a special category all by themselves.

What a fragile little ego you have there.