Raiders bring back OL stud Alex Bars

Humble_Beast

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

For me this is an opportunity lost scenario: he’s taking up a roster spot in camp from someone else that would actually be good competition.  Even in the infinite monkey theorem (1) There are zero alternative universes where Bars ends up being worth resigning.  We should have signed someone else.

Ziegler and McDaniels got this dude penciled in as a returning starter.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Ziegler and McDaniels got this dude penciled in as a returning starter.

Nothing surprises me.  I’ve got to learn how to make prop bets on sacks when we play KC and Chris Jones.  I’d absolutely bet against us / on Jones, it’d be easy money.

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Nothing surprises me.  I’ve got to learn how to make prop bets on sacks when we play KC and Chris Jones.  I’d absolutely bet against us / on Jones, it’d be easy money.

Valuing continuity on the OL is the one message that Ziegler has been consistent about. Bars is still the only OL they've acquired in FA, IIRC.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

"Continuity"

Commitment to mediocrity? 

You're being generous.

4 hours ago, Geezy said:

Alex Bars pass pro + Jimmy G injury history=Caleb Williams 

I doubt it. This team is so dysfunctional they wouldn't even be able to tank correctly.

34 minutes ago, Angleae said:

You're being generous.

I doubt it. This team is so dysfunctional they wouldn't even be able to tank correctly.

That’s exactly what I said.  Jimmy wouldn’t get hurt until after we’ve gotten 5 wins already OR we’d win some miraculous upset game week 17 to push out of draft position for a top QB.  Then we’d get blown out by a team picking in the top 5 in our last game.  OR we’d end up tied and lose the entire breaker coin toss and miss out on the QB.  We never ever would catch a break that would push us to land a QBotF that would pan out.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zx1jqq1qv8c1ctmr7k

Ziegler just trolling some of you fools now and I'm here for it. 

Nice photo and all but ain’t anyone buy you believing this FA period was a win.  
Explain to us how Jimmy G, Epps (a safety that can cover as good as Jonathan Abram), Austin Hooper+OJ Howard, and bringing back losers like Parker and Bars will prove to be some next level Jedi Mind trick.  
Oh wait, excuse me for forgetting the big moves like Jordan Willis and resigning Tillery.  And we should just trust the past FA success of the FO with last years great signings like Nichols (6.8M cap hit) and Chandler Jones (19.3M), who is either another 20m in ‘24 Or a 7M cap hit to release in the last year of his deal.

why spend 10m on a good starting DT, probably our biggest position of need when you can spend it on Nichols and Tillery?  That Alone has to convince everyone of this FO playing 4D chess.

We had the most basic itch free agency ever and we’re not even Going to be carrying over a Large unspent amount of cap space into the following year.

And I want to like Ziegs, I truly do! 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Valuing continuity on the OL is the one message that Ziegler has been consistent about. Bars is still the only OL they've acquired in FA, IIRC.

2 years to fix the OL and we only add Bars, watch him get abused in pass pro, and then bring him back.  Oh wait….. we pay Parker 3.5m and he does right to IR, but at least we brought him back.  Continuity is the key…. Even if it’s from guys like Parker and Bars!  

it’s amazing how anyone can think this is a positive.  Plus, the on the other side of the hall we solve the holes at DT and LB with 10m spent on Nichols and Tillery and Robert Spillane.  Surely he’ll transform the LB core.

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Nice photo and all but ain’t anyone buy you believing this FA period was a win.  
Explain to us how Jimmy G, Epps (a safety that can cover as good as Jonathan Abram), Austin Hooper+OJ Howard, and bringing back losers like Parker and Bars will prove to be some next level Jedi Mind trick.  
Oh wait, excuse me for forgetting the big moves like Jordan Willis and resigning Tillery.  And we should just trust the past FA success of the FO with last years great signings like Nichols (6.8M cap hit) and Chandler Jones (19.3M), who is either another 20m in ‘24 Or a 7M cap hit to release in the last year of his deal.

why spend 10m on a good starting DT, probably our biggest position of need when you can spend it on Nichols and Tillery?  That Alone has to convince everyone of this FO playing 4D chess.

We had the most basic itch free agency ever and we’re not even Going to be carrying over a Large unspent amount of cap space into the following year.

And I want to like Ziegs, I truly do! 

Well we have 30mil coming off the books next year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

What will Really piss me off is finding out he Didn’t get a veteran minimum deal but instead got an Additional 500k or more guaranteed again, so the very best scenario possible is dead cap space.  And while 500k isn’t a strain on the cap, what aggravates me about the Front Office(s) over the past few years is how we waste small amounts of money over and over.   It definitely adds up.  Again, it’s another opportunity cost scenario where that cumulative small amount of money could have been spent on a solid veteran starter albeit on a small contract who plays at a position of need for us.  We’ll waste 2M on few bums we cut but don’t have the money to sign a quality veteran to a prove it deal for 2-3M.

This is where I hold something against the FO. I think in isolation, none of the moves are really that bad, but collectively they are, as you say, throwing a few million here and a few million there straight into backups or obvious camp fodder. When a guy like Andrew Billings signed for $3.5 million and was a starter for us and a good starter at that, at a position of dire need that seems like a bad waste. 

That is the issue I have, we’ve spent a total of around 10 to 12 million on at best, backups and at worst camp fodder and below average players who’ll have no real impact and that could have been a couple starters at OG or DT to me. They’re not make or break moves but in our position we need to make these small moves good moves.

• Like 2