Raiders bring back OL stud Alex Bars

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Gonna give them the benefit of the doubt that this is just depth. If the draft comes and a OG is not picked I’ll panic then 

Dude was legitimately one of the worst OL in the league last year. Is that someone you should rely on as depth?

Only benefit of bringing him back is that he can boost the morale of the interior DL in camp.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

"Continuity"

Commitment to mediocrity? 

I thought you were saying the OL group was a top 10 unit after the season ended? It's okay for them to want to continue to work with him and develop his skills. It takes some guys longer than others to put it together. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Raiderlife24 said:

I thought you were saying the OL group was a top 10 unit after the season ended? It's okay for them to want to continue to work with him and develop his skills. It takes some guys longer than others to put it together. 

One positive with Bars is that he's so terrible the only way to go is up for him.

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Alex Bars pass pro + Jimmy G injury history=Caleb Williams 

That’s a best case scenario IMO.  I think It’s far more likely Bars would be playing because the starter got hurt some point after Midseason And we’ve picked up just enough wins by then to finish no worse then something like 5th or lower… and would have to trade 2 1sts and 2 seconds plus additional picks to move up and get a top 2-3 QB.  We’d never ever be so Lucky that if Jimmy G gets hurt it’d be early in the year.

I dont agree with bringing Bars back.  He wasn’t just camp competition last year… look at his ORIGINAL deal, 1yr- 1.7M.  Yes he got released and was brought back for cheaper but he had some modest guaranteed money in that first deal.  He was brought in to be a backup that was given the opportunity to compete to be a starter.  You don’t give over a half million guaranteed to camp fodder …. And a OG at that.

He was trash last year and has always been trash.  He’s the type of guy you only keep as the 4th G on the roster because he’s on his cheap rookie deal.  

For me this is an opportunity lost scenario: he’s taking up a roster spot in camp from someone else that would actually be good competition.  Even in the infinite monkey theorem (1) There are zero alternative universes where Bars ends up being worth resigning.  We should have signed someone else.

Notes: (1)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

What will Really piss me off is finding out he Didn’t get a veteran minimum deal but instead got an Additional 500k or more guaranteed again, so the very best scenario possible is dead cap space.  And while 500k isn’t a strain on the cap, what aggravates me about the Front Office(s) over the past few years is how we waste small amounts of money over and over.   It definitely adds up.  Again, it’s another opportunity cost scenario where that cumulative small amount of money could have been spent on a solid veteran starter albeit on a small contract who plays at a position of need for us.  We’ll waste 2M on few bums we cut but don’t have the money to sign a quality veteran to a prove it deal for 2-3M.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 2