WEEK 13 GDT: WE'RE ON TO DETROIT

paraven

2 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

The last 2 weeks? Jimmy was fine today, their offense was shut down when he was in the game, and he only allowed one catch which was a crossing route. The moment Jimmy left, we were getting lit up with the deep balls. Our secondary is definitely not better without Jimmy...

Jimmy has looked really slow the past two weeks. I was willing to give it a pass last week because Nuk was beating everyone but my gosh he was like 3 full steps behind Golloday on that crossing route. I'd rather have 2 healthy CB's on the field full time than splitting reps with a guy who can barely run.

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Jimmy has looked really slow the past two weeks. I was willing to give it a pass last week because Nuk was beating everyone but my gosh he was like 3 full steps behind Golloday on that crossing route. I'd rather have 2 healthy CB's on the field full time than splitting reps with a guy who can barely run.

That is just one play though, and those horizontal crossing routes are hard to cover from the outside, and usually you need help from the LB to cover that, and even in the past Jimmy has struggled with those crossing routes. And a couple weeks ago I think last week even Patrick Peterson allowed a big play from that type of route.

I'm just hoping what we saw from Humphrey today will not be the norm. And I think it might be time to let go of Jimmy, as good as he is $10 million/year is a lot for someone who's only available for the first half of the regular season, he's also turning 30 next season which is old for a CB, and not to mention the countless foot surgeries he's had...

7 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

No doubt Pees has done a surprisingly good job this year and the results speak for themselves, but given all the talent on defense, it's hard to say a more innovative play caller wouldn't have this defense playing at near historic levels.

agreed. after losing 2 guys on their oline (Wagner and Lang?) i'd have expected the DC to take advantage and pressure the sh*t out of that line... you have the personell to do so, i recall some young ones being drafted not too long ago to do just that. get them on the field, at home, having a decent lead, and turn them lose.

wasn't until uncle Suggs speech they were really getting to Stafford.

4 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

A crossing route like that is so difficult to defend, which is why we should apply it more on our own offense. Usually the receiver has to either run behind a linebacker in coverage or run a shorter route. The fact that Golloday got so deep seems like a misplaced linebacker to me.

When we see Marvin Jones just take off right after Jimmy leaves the field, that says something. Humphrey can bounce back, and also did when Stafford decided to force his final throw. But Humphrey also has to improve on the stuff he also had difficulties with in college.

5 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

And I think it might be time to let go of Jimmy, as good as he is $10 million/year is a lot for someone who's only available for the first half of the regular season, he's also turning 30 next season which is old for a CB, and not to mention the countless foot surgeries he's had...

Because we had him restructure his contract this past off-season, cutting him next year would leave us with $13m in dead money and only $2.3m in new cap space.  I don't see it happening

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

Because we had him restructure his contract this past off-season, cutting him next year would leave us with $13m in dead money and only $2.3m in new cap space.  I don't see it happening

Also, if/when we don't have Carr next year, we need someone on the outside. 

32 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Jimmy Graham for Michael Thomas, who says no?!

Uh, wrong team and wrong Jimmy?

But assuming you meant Smith for Thomas, Saints absolutely say no. With Lattimore and Crawley, the last thing they need is another #1 cornerback. It would be more of a luxury than a need.

I don't know too many teams that would be willing to trade for a soon to be 30, injury riddled cornerback, coming off an Achilles tear, and on a pretty sizable contract. And if they do, we're essentially shopping him at his lowest value, which is never what you want to do when buying and selling assets (in any field). If he comes back healthy and proves he can still play at a high level, then we can consider shopping him. Until then, we're more or less stuck with the guy.

48 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Uh, wrong team and wrong Jimmy?

But assuming you meant Smith for Thomas, Saints absolutely say no. With Lattimore and Crawley, the last thing they need is another #1 cornerback. It would be more of a luxury than a need.

I don't know too many teams that would be willing to trade for a soon to be 30, injury riddled cornerback, coming off an Achilles tear, and on a pretty sizable contract. And if they do, we're essentially shopping him at his lowest value, which is never what you want to do when buying and selling assets (in any field). If he comes back healthy and proves he can still play at a high level, then we can consider shopping him. Until then, we're more or less stuck with the guy.

I indeed did mean Jimmy. I can't context switch back from talking about Russell Wilson for MVP apparently....

Anywho, yeah I know the Saints say now, he was just the first guy I thought of. The thing though with Jimmy is when is he ever healthy for a period of time? Never. He's always injured, which obviously diminishes all trade value right there. The fact that he's coming off of this season WITH the injury, to me, means that his value will never be higher going forward. If we bank on him coming back AND staying healthy, you might as well just ride that contract out until he retires or leaves via FA on the twilight of his career. I just don't think he's worth the contract given his injury history, and it's going to start becoming a factor as we move forward in trying to get younger/healthier on the outside.

Archived