Valhalla Mock Draft MMXXIII: Vikings on the Clock (#23)

swede700

With pick #23, the Minnesota Vikings select:  

24 members have voted

1. 1. With pick #23, the Minnesota Vikings select:

• CB Kelee Ringo (Georgia)
    • DT Bryan Bresee (Clemson)
    • S Brian Branch (Alabama)
    • WR Quentin Johnston (TCU)
    • Edge Lukas Van Ness (Iowa)
    • QB Hendon Hooker (Tennessee)
    • CB Deonte Banks (Maryland)
    • Edge Will McDonald IV (Iowa St)
    • WR Zay Flowers (Boston College)
    • DT Calijah Kancey (Pittsburgh)
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I didn't want to tempt people.  He may be the best player available, but he doesn't fill a need and doesn't fit in the offensive scheme as currently constructed. 

I disagree about him fitting the scheme, I actually think he's a better fit for the scheme than Cook is.  Bijan is great catching the ball & also great at making defenders miss.  Im pretty sure he lead the nation in creating missed tackles

34 minutes ago, Boda said:

I disagree about him fitting the scheme, I actually think he's a better fit for the scheme than Cook is.  Bijan is great catching the ball & also great at making defenders miss.  Im pretty sure he lead the nation in creating missed tackles

The issue I see is that the offense, as far as we've seen, isn't geared towards throwing the ball to the back.  It basically was predicted to be so based on KOC's history, but it didn't really turn out that way as only about 14% of targets went to RBs.  In that scenario, unless there's something drastically different about the scheme going forward, this pick would be wasted on him.  I'd argue that the target % would have to be closer to 25% to make it worthwhile.

The 49ers threw  about 21% of the time to their backs and that doesn't even include the targets to Deebo, who basically is a pseudo-RB.   So, unless KOC fulfills on that promise to be more SF-like than Rams-like, that's a hard no.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Please no on a RB. Just no. 

lol ... I cant pass on Bijan.  There are a couple scenario's where I'd feel comfortable doing so but what has transpired isnt one of those for myself

10 minutes ago, Boda said:

lol ... I cant pass on Bijan.  There are a couple scenario's where I'd feel comfortable doing so but what has transpired isnt one of those for myself

It's just not a good use of very scarce resources....you can get an ok to good back much later. Heck, they have two plus Cook.....on the roster. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's just not a good use of very scarce resources....you can get an ok to good back much later. Heck, they have two plus Cook.....on the roster. 

I just really believe the Vikings move on from Cook either this year or next(I prefer next) & im not sold on Mattison in anything more than a committee.  Bijan is the only RB i'd take in the first but thats because I think he's going to be special.  Now later on I actually like Archane & Bijan's teammate  Roschon Johnson & Dewayne McBride

15 minutes ago, Boda said:

I just really believe the Vikings move on from Cook either this year or next(I prefer next) & im not sold on Mattison in anything more than a committee.  Bijan is the only RB i'd take in the first but thats because I think he's going to be special.  Now later on I actually like Archane & Bijan's teammate  Roschon Johnson & Dewayne McBride

Fair....if he's special. I just don't think any RB is worth a first in today's game (I mean, assuming we aren't looking at HoF talent).

I'm not sure who set up this board, but not having O'Cyrus Torrence in the mix is questionable.   Personally, ya have to look at ILB, DT/5T and CB as highest priorities, IMO.   The stud dark horse I'm choosing though is A.A. 

I wouldn't be disappointed with Trent Simpson or Jack Campbell either.  

10 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'm not sure who set up this board, but not having O'Cyrus Torrence in the mix is questionable.   Personally, ya have to look at ILB, DT/5T and CB as highest priorities, IMO.   The stud dark horse I'm choosing though is A.A. 

I wouldn't be disappointed with Trent Simpson or Jack Campbell either.  

I created the poll, so obviously it was me.  According to NFLMDD, the only positions lower in need than IOL are OT, TE, K, P and LS.  That's not worthy of putting in Torrence.  So, IMO, it's not that questionable...but that's what the "Other" option is for...and sure, I could have put Simpson or Campbell in there, but they are in the same range as Hooker was in the consensus rankings and LB is a lower need than QB.  I want to keep the options fairly limited and fairly realistic...and the reality is that none of those players you mentioned are really realistic options for the Vikings in the first round.  Bijan Robinson is far more realistic than any of those...and I left him off the list too. 

9 hours ago, swede700 said:

I created the poll, so obviously it was me.  According to NFLMDD, the only positions lower in need than IOL are OT, TE, K, P and LS.  That's not worthy of putting in Torrence.  So, IMO, it's not that questionable...but that's what the "Other" option is for...and sure, I could have put Simpson or Campbell in there, but they are in the same range as Hooker was in the consensus rankings and LB is a lower need than QB.  I want to keep the options fairly limited and fairly realistic...and the reality is that none of those players you mentioned are really realistic options for the Vikings in the first round.  Bijan Robinson is far more realistic than any of those...and I left him off the list too. 

Thanks for the explanation.  I wasn't sure if this was a Big Board or a list of highest rated player of a need position.   To me, given the fall-off on MLBs after Campbell, Simpson, and Sanders, all guys projected to be gone before the 3rd, the Vikes might have to reach a bit.  

WR depth is quite solid this class and no one would blame the Vikes for waiting.   CB tiers are pretty solid too, but there are some truly worthy guys at 23.   But, like I said, my darl horse is A. A. He's faster and has a longer reach than Kancey, with about the same college production.   To me he's a no-brainer over Kancey. 

17 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Hendon Hooker.

Time to take a gamble on the QB position.

Honestly, Bijan would tempt me as well if KOC would use him in the passing game. Hard to pass up a top-10 talent at 23 regardless of the value of RBs in today's NFL.

we are not in agreement.

• Like 1