Valhalla Mock Draft MMXXIII: Vikings on the Clock (#23)

swede700

With pick #23, the Minnesota Vikings select:  

24 members have voted

1. 1. With pick #23, the Minnesota Vikings select:

• CB Kelee Ringo (Georgia)
    • DT Bryan Bresee (Clemson)
    • S Brian Branch (Alabama)
    • WR Quentin Johnston (TCU)
    • Edge Lukas Van Ness (Iowa)
    • QB Hendon Hooker (Tennessee)
    • CB Deonte Banks (Maryland)
    • Edge Will McDonald IV (Iowa St)
    • WR Zay Flowers (Boston College)
    • DT Calijah Kancey (Pittsburgh)
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

The Ravens add another young receiver to the stable to complement their veteran signing of OBJ with the drafting of Jordan Addison.  The Vikings are now on the clock...and I'll keep this poll open for 2 days (as is typical). 

Minnesota-Vikings-Logo-500x281.jpg

1.  Panthers - QB CJ Stroud (Ohio St) (11 votes, 2 for Young and Richardson)

2. Texans - QB Bryce Young (Alabama) (13 votes, 4 for Richardson)

3. Cardinals - Edge Will Anderson, Jr (Alabama) (9 votes, 4 for Carter, 1 for Gonzalez)

4. Colts - QB Anthony Richardson (Florida) (12 votes, 10 for Levis)

5. Seahawks - DT Jalen Carter (Georgia) (10 votes, 4 for Wilson, 3 for others)

6. Lions - Edge Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech) (7 votes, 4 for Gonzalez, 4 for others)

7. Raiders - QB Will Levis (Kentucky) (3 votes, 2 for Gonzalez, 1 each for 6 others)

8. Falcons - Edge Myles Murphy (7 votes, 4 for Gonzalez, 5 for others)

9. Bears - OT Paris Johnson, Jr (Ohio St) (6 votes, 3 each for Jones and Skoronoski)

10. Eagles - CB Christian Gonzalez (Oregon) (4 votes, 3 for Robinson, 2 for Smith and Van Ness, 2 for others)

11. Titans - OT Broderick Jones (Georgia) (5 votes, 4 for Skoronski, 4 for others)

12. Texans - WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Ohio St) (6 votes, 5 for Johnston, 4 for others)

13. Jets - OT Peter Skoronski (Northwestern) (10 votes, 1 each for Witherspoon, Johnston, and Bresee)

14. Patriots - CB Devon Witherspoon (Illinois) (7 votes, 3 for Smith, 5 for others)

15. Packers - TE Michael Mayer (Notre Dame) (8 votes, 2 each for Smith and Van Ness, 4 for others)

16. Commanders - CB Joey Porter, Jr (Penn St) (8 votes, 1 for Johnston)

17. Steelers - OT Dawand Jones (Ohio St) (4 votes, 2 each for Bresee and Smith, 2 for others)

18. Lions - TE Darnell Washington (Georgia) (4 votes, 3 for Bresee, 4 for others)

19. Buccaneers - Edge Nolan Smith (Georgia) (4 votes, 4 for others)

20. Seahawks - C John Michael Schmitz (Minnesota) (5 votes, 3 for Torrence, 2 for others)

21. Chargers - TE Luke Musgrave (Oregon St) (3 votes, 2 for Banks and Robinson, 2 for others)

22. Ravens - WR Jordan Addison (USC) (4 votes, 3 for Johnston, 2 for others)

Edited by swede700

I went with Johnston. The Vikings need another receiver, and Johnston has everything that you can’t teach. Bring him in and give him to McCardell with Jefferson, Osborn, and Hockenson to carry the heavy load while he learns. It’s a shallow draft with receiver talent, and I don’t think the Vikings will have a starting caliber player sitting at 87, so they need to grab one here. Given how the board has fallen. Johnston isn’t as polished as some of the others, but he’s actually build like an NFL receiver. There aren’t a lot of guys with his size and speed.

Van Ness would be my second option. He’s so raw that you can basically mold him into anything that you want. And this defense needs someone with his energy and tenacity.

Cornerback might be the bigger need, but I don’t view any of the ones available to be greatly different from the ones who’ll likely be available at 87, or later. It’s an incredibly deep CB draft, and they’ll likely find one who’s got starting potential later on day 2 or early day 3. 

Bryan Bresee would be tempting, but his injury history is enough for me to pass on him. The Vikings need to hit on at least two players in this class. 

Breese is my top option. Banks is probably my #2 option. Johnston I'm worried about his hands. Van Ness maybe can be a DL versus an EDGE for the Vikings, which is tempting. Hendon Hooker is a good late 2nd or 3rd round pick. Really with Breese, Banks, and Johnston, I'd ideally move down 3 spots or so if we can.

3 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I chose Hooker just to drive some people nuts!!! ;)

It drove me nuts just adding him to the options.  😂  But, he's listed at #41 on the Consensus Big Board, so he's within an appropriate range of being taken here. 

Edited by swede700

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I went with Johnston. The Vikings need another receiver, and Johnston has everything that you can’t teach. Bring him in and give him to McCardell with Jefferson, Osborn, and Hockenson to carry the heavy load while he learns. It’s a shallow draft with receiver talent, and I don’t think the Vikings will have a starting caliber player sitting at 87, so they need to grab one here. Given how the board has fallen. Johnston isn’t as polished as some of the others, but he’s actually build like an NFL receiver. There aren’t a lot of guys with his size and speed.

Van Ness would be my second option. He’s so raw that you can basically mold him into anything that you want. And this defense needs someone with his energy and tenacity.

Cornerback might be the bigger need, but I don’t view any of the ones available to be greatly different from the ones who’ll likely be available at 87, or later. It’s an incredibly deep CB draft, and they’ll likely find one who’s got starting potential later on day 2 or early day 3. 

Bryan Bresee would be tempting, but his injury history is enough for me to pass on him. The Vikings need to hit on at least two players in this class. 

I'm not voting yet, but I'm with you.  I just can't see taking Banks here when the CBs available at #87 probably aren't all that different.  I probably would go with either Van Ness or Bresee though, because I think they have to go defense, but just not a CB, because of the depth at the position in this draft.  The value just isn't there to take a CB here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings need to hit on at least two players in this class. 

I went with Bresee and I'm out on Johnston for this reason. I don't think Johnston will be a regular contributor for much of the season because I think he has a lot to work on to reach his potential. I think they need to hit on early, regular contributors this year if they don't go QB.

I went with Banks. Our CB room is just too bare and his athletic profile screams "elite" if he takes to coaching. 

Ringo, Hooker and Van Ness would be the only picks on that list I would be upset with. Any of the others would be decent pickups at #23. 

• Like 2