2023 Commanders OTAs, Minicamp & Training Camp

turtle28

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

By what metric?

Mine. Chase is the most talented, he's the strongest, he has the most athletic ability and he has a relentless motor. The only thing that's held him back the last year and a half is his knee injury which he can do nothing about, Injuries happen - especially in football - and it's really unfortunate his injury happened when it did but I expect him to show his worth this year & earn an extension while they either tag and trade the talented but 3 years older and underwhelming Sweat or they just let him walk and take the 3rd round comp pick in the 2025 draft.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I hate preseason.

Seems like a lot of injuries league wide. Guess we're lucky so far nothing season ending . I've seen a lot of torn achilles and ACLs .. Part of the process I guess. What if it happens in preseason or the first quarter of game one . Not much difference-part of the game. I understand your pain !😪

• Like 1

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Mine. Chase is the most talented, he's the strongest, he has the most athletic ability and he has a relentless motor. The only thing that's held him back the last year and a half is his knee injury which he can do nothing about, Injuries happen - especially in football - and it's really unfortunate his injury happened when it did but I expect him to show his worth this year & earn an extension while they either tag and trade the talented but 3 years older and underwhelming Sweat or they just let him walk and take the 3rd round comp pick in the 2025 draft.

Wait...you're telling me that Chase is great (but just is unfortunately recovering from knee surgery) but Sweat has been underwhelming? Did I read that right?

I mean, just on sacks alone, Chase isn't anywhere close to Sweat.

Sweat had 21 sacks his first 3 years.

Chase had... 9

"Oh but Thai, Chase can't help that he was injured and missed most of his 3rd year." 

Fair enough. Then let's compare them on a per game rate. 

Sacks

Sweat has a rate of 0.49

Chase has a rate of 0.33

Sweat wins hands down

Tackles (combined)

Sweat = 2.79

Chase = 2.77

Roughly even there so it's a push

TFL

Sweat = 0.62

Chase = 0.48

Sweat wins

FFs

Sweat = 0.11

Chase = 0.22

Hey look, Chase wins at something!

Pressures (this is Knock Downs + Hurries + all sack plays)

Sweat = 1.91

Chase = 1.4

Sweat wins again

It's good that you're using your own eyeball metric, because almost every actual recorded metric that we can measure a DE by, Sweat either ties Chase or comes out ahead (sometimes far ahead).

Don't get me wrong. I'm HOPING you're right about him by the end of the season. But I cannot get onboard the "Chase is the best DE on this team" train at the present time. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 6:21 PM, turtle28 said:

Yes bc he's the best DE we have

I don't think this is true. @turtle28 the reason you love Chase so much is the same reason I cant stand him. He's so gifted.... it's such a tragedy he can't mature and put it all together.

I pray he recovers and gets back it, from all accounts he has looked good this summer. 

Edited by Troublez
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 9:45 AM, Slappy Mc said:

You definitely could have stopped here. 

Hopefully he can be on the field and perform well this year. 

That's fair. This is the typical case that has split the fanbase just like Kirk Cousins & RG3 before Chase. Half the fanbase believes Chase can still reach his full potential and be a top DE/even a DPOY candidate in the league and the other half has given up on him bc he started off slower than we'd like in 2021 & then got two knee injuries in the same knee which kept him out a year and a half or basically the entire 2022 season.

We’ll see what happens this year. As you said,

“Hopefully he can be on the field and perform well this year.“

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troublez said:

I don't think this is true. @turtle28 the reason you love Chase so much is the same reason I cant stand him. He's so gifted.... it's such a tragedy he can't mature and put it all together.

I pray he recovers and gets back it, from all accounts he has looked good this summer. 

I love Chase for multiple reasons, none of which I hide. One, he's a local superstar from his high school days. Two, he played for my favorite college team, Ohio State. Three, we drafted him #2 overall and for once in 32 years I want one of this franchise's top 5 draft picks to live up to their potential. And four, I really believe when healthy he's clearly our best defensive end.

Dude, get off the immaturity BS. That was a 2021 thing when he was 22 years old when Chase & Sweat both acted immature bc they were coming off a good break out 2nd half of their first year playing together where they led the defense to the division championship.

Chase has shown no immaturity since 2021, absolutely none. Chase’s problem is not immaturity, that's 2 years in the rearview mirror. What derailed Chase was his knee injury which, he can do nothing about.

The little he played in the Cleveland game - sadly just 4 snaps bc of the stinger - it was clear Chase had worked had the last 2 years developing and he was making an impact.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I love Chase for multiple reasons, none of which I hide. One, he's a local superstar from his high school days. Two, he played for my favorite college team, Ohio State. Three, we drafted him #2 overall and for once in 32 years I want one of this franchise's top 5 draft picks to live up to their potential. And four, I really believe when healthy he's clearly our best defensive end.

Dude, get off the immaturity BS. That was a 2021 thing when he was 22 years old when Chase & Sweat both acted immature bc they were coming off a good break out 2nd half of their first year playing together where they led the defense to the division championship.

Chase has shown no immaturity since 2021, absolutely none. Chase’s problem is not immaturity, that's 2 years in the rearview mirror. What derailed Chase was his knee injury which, he can do nothing about.

The little he played in the Cleveland game - sadly just 4 snaps bc of the stinger - it was clear Chase had worked had the last 2 years developing and he was making an impact.

@turtle28 thanks for the input! Until this dude shows up to OTAs, takes care of his body (which he just started taking seriously - maybe), and demonstrates an ability to overcome "minor" injuries, I won't get off this "immature BS." There isn't one thing he's done differently this year to suggest that he's matured at all....

This is why he is below average NFL starter. Because he doesn't put the effort into respecting the process that all superstars must go through. Talent means next to **** if your culture or maturity is poor. He needs to grow up and act like a professional.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Also - to clarify, this isn't what I mean when I refer to maturity. I don't care what comes out of these players mouth (to most extents).