TABT - HuskieBear Edition

Ty21

If you have the 3.6 I think the process for the terrain seems similar, there's a step-by-step about halfway down this page. It sounds like in addition to the plugs you're going to need the manifold gasket. 

https://www.terrainforum.net/threads/2013-2017-3-6-v6-lfx-spark-plug-replacement-need-some-help.26201/

Edited by BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

8 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Any car guys/ DIY mechanics here?  Looking to replace the spark plugs on my car myself and would like to bounce some ideas off of someone.

I did it ahwhile back.  It’s basically you just screw them in.    Pretty simple.  

11 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

If you have the 3.6 I think the process for the terrain seems similar, there's a step-by-step about halfway down this page. It sounds like in addition to the plugs you're going to need the manifold gasket. 

https://www.terrainforum.net/threads/2013-2017-3-6-v6-lfx-spark-plug-replacement-need-some-help.26201/

I’m gonna have to google a lot of the words you used.  But I’ll look into that, thanks!

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I did it ahwhile back.  It’s basically you just screw them in.    Pretty simple.  

Cool, cool.   Isn't the law pretty much just knowing the rule that's written down and then saying it out loud? (I'm assuming you're kidding too)

When it comes to the fountain of bad times when it comes to having to remove a ton of stuff to change a simple part I usually just bite the bullet and take it to my mechanic whom I like.  I live in terror of the day that my valve covers start to leak on the truck, as you have to remove the body to access them properly. 

2 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I’m gonna have to google a lot of the words you used.  But I’ll look into that, thanks!

Honestly it sounds like one of those jobs that ends up taking a weekend when you find a stuck bolt on something tangentially related to what you're actually trying to do.  I'd pay it.  

I've been using Thoms 4wd for years for this stuff.  They got my loyalty when they pointed out that I'd clearly been greasing all the zerks on the 4wd system but had been missing one as it still had paint on it from the factory, and they even put the truck up on the lift to show me how to do it.  Don't think I've touched my cars since then! Spendy but so worth it to not have to think about it. 

21 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Cool, cool.   Isn't the law pretty much just knowing the rule that's written down and then saying it out loud? (I'm assuming you're kidding too)

When it comes to the fountain of bad times when it comes to having to remove a ton of stuff to change a simple part I usually just bite the bullet and take it to my mechanic whom I like.  I live in terror of the day that my valve covers start to leak on the truck, as you have to remove the body to access them properly. 

I wasn’t kidding.  That is all I did.  I did it with my hand.  Did it for my lawn mower too.  I dont remember having to remove anything else to get to it.  

If it hard to get too then yeah.  I mean my mech would probably charge like $10 plus the part so I would just take it in and have them do it.  

I have changed brake lights and head lights and replaced a fuse and same deal.  They don’t charge much.  Just have them do it.

I remember taking in a flat on a bike tire.  It would have taken me an hour at least.   Guy at bike shop did it in like 5 minutes.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

I wasn’t kidding.  That is all I did.  I did it with my hand.  Did it for my lawn mower too.  I dont remember having to remove anything else to get to it.  

If it hard to get too then yeah.  I mean my mech would probably charge like $10 plus the part so I would just take it in and have them do it.  

I have changed brake lights and head lights and replaced a fuse and same deal.  They don’t charge much.  Just have them do it.

I remember taking in a flat on a bike tire.  It would have taken me an hour at least.   Guy at bike shop did it in like 5 minutes.  

Oh man.  Modern cars are really amazing in terms of reliability and packaging but access for parts is sometimes simple and sometimes completely byzantine.  Like not kidding about our truck; if the valve covers ever need to come off it's easier to remove the entire body, off the frame, then it is to pull the enginer or anything else.  I think CBears' task is simple on one bank of the engine and then requires moving a ton of stuff out of the way on the other.  I'd pay for it if it were me. 

My wife used to have a modded WRX, and I remember changing the downpipe was like an hour job on youtube.  It ended up leaving the car out of commission all weekend into Monday, and I ended up buying a ton of tools (right angle drill, compact die grinder) just to get one stuck stud out.  F those cars. 

2 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Oh man.  Modern cars are really amazing in terms of reliability and packaging but access for parts is sometimes simple and sometimes completely byzantine.  Like not kidding about our truck; if the valve covers ever need to come off it's easier to remove the entire body, off the frame, then it is to pull the enginer or anything else.  I think CBears' task is simple on one bank of the engine and then requires moving a ton of stuff out of the way on the other.  I'd pay for it if it were me. 

My wife used to have a modded WRX, and I remember changing the downpipe was like an hour job on youtube.  It ended up leaving the car out of commission all weekend into Monday, and I ended up buying a ton of tools (right angle drill, compact die grinder) just to get one stuck stud out.  F those cars. 

Yes I have heard that.  

Anytime I do a home repair project it is at least 3 separate trips to hardware store.  An hour on YouTube. And 3-5 hours of work.

Then if I had to repeat it again I could do it in about 30 minutes.  But when same issue comes up again years later I will have forgotten how I did it and need to repeat entire process.  

6 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

There’s a car, I don’t know which model, that you must remove the tire in order to do anything to the battery. That’s pretty bad.

5 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

There’s a car, I don’t know which model, that you must remove the tire in order to do anything to the battery. That’s pretty bad.

I think that was those Chrysler sedans from the 90s/2000s?  Sebring?  Aveneger? had a bunch of friends in high school who were into cars, but different brands/countries so we spent years arguing about what was better.  My friends brother had the car you were talking about and we literally had a party drinking beer and cheering him on when he had to do exactly what you're describing to change his battery.  It was hilarious. I seem to recall parking my car nearby and taking the battery out and running it in circles around him when he had his car up on the jack just to be a ****. 

18 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I think that was those Chrysler sedans from the 90s/2000s?  Sebring?  Aveneger? had a bunch of friends in high school who were into cars, but different brands/countries so we spent years arguing about what was better.  My friends brother had the car you were talking about and we literally had a party drinking beer and cheering him on when he had to do exactly what you're describing to change his battery.  It was hilarious. I seem to recall parking my car nearby and taking the battery out and running it in circles around him when he had his car up on the jack just to be a ****. 

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Certainly.  But in the context of that group that was nothing.  That particular family was mostly Chicago cops or future cops, and the pranks they would inflict on each other and the rest of us were pretty extreme.  Used to go camping in N Wi where things would really peak.  There was this eastern euro guy we hung out with that HATED onions.  Like not just the taste but wouldn't look at em even. He got too drunk up there, and woke up tied to his bed with like dozens of onions hanging on straings from the ceiling all around his face.   They once replaced all the raisins in a guys chosen cereal with dead flies from the flypaper and only pointed it out after he was a couple bites in.  These two cousins used to stop at the sex shops on 94 on the way up.  There was always a giant colorful dildo getting taped or glued on to various things or people. We used to camp on an island which led to all kinds of BS with tents getting dragged into the lake. I once spent a night in a tree in a rainstorm with a knife wiating for them to try something.  They used to test their expired vests from work on each oether, which was honestly the most terrified I think I've ever been. Man I miss those guys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Certainly.  But in the context of that group that was nothing.  That particular family was mostly Chicago cops or future cops, and the pranks they would inflict on each other and the rest of us were pretty extreme.  Used to go camping in N Wi where things would really peak.  There was this eastern euro guy we hung out with that HATED onions.  Like not just the taste but wouldn't look at em even. He got too drunk up there, and woke up tied to his bed with like dozens of onions hanging on straings from the ceiling all around his face.   They once replaced all the raisins in a guys chosen cereal with dead flies from the flypaper and only pointed it out after he was a couple bites in.  These two cousins used to stop at the sex shops on 94 on the way up.  There was always a giant colorful dildo getting taped or glued on to various things or people. We used to camp on an island which led to all kinds of BS with tents getting dragged into the lake. I once spent a night in a tree in a rainstorm with a knife wiating for them to try something.  They used to test their expired vests from work on each oether, which was honestly the most terrified I think I've ever been. Man I miss those guys. 

I know.  I was kidding. 

Bought my daughter a Jetson electric bike and surprised her after school with it. She got on and immediately lost control when she revved it, and hit my truck. It didn't even take off like a bat out of hell, she just lost control after less than 2 seconds. Can't wait for her to be in a 1500 lb death machine.  🙄

• Like 1