TABT - HuskieBear Edition

Ty21

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Sounds like you were in the area right around the same time the Sturgis, SD motorcycle rally happens. I've done Mt. Rushmore twice in my life. It's something to marvel at for a moment if you're able to get over the disrespectful history of how it came to be. Don't know that I'll ever go back again. You kind of just walk up and there it is in the distance. Certainly can't make a day out of it.

Funny you should say that, we spent Thanksgiving at an AirBNB in Codben and spent a few days hiking Garden of the Gods and the surrounding area, including Giant City state park. We had Thanksgiving dinner at the Giant City Lodge, it was pretty good. Award winning, but keep in mind that there's probably not a restaurant within 50 miles competing for the award.

My man, that place really did have great chicken!  Dunno if you were there on a weekend, but it's roughly half people that are staying there, and then people from the area, as you're right that it's the best restaurant around. Like people go there every single weekend.  Lovely parkl but there's also some really gloomy areas around there, like every farm has a little oil derrick on it and when we drove down there it was flooded and just slicks of oil stinking and shining everywhere.

Did you check out the hippie town? It's called Makanda (forever) and it used to be big but now it's just a stretch of old store fronts, but they have a super cool garden in the back that you can wander through. Genuinely quite cool even if all smells like hippie. 

I'm half watching the game and half t rying to recover.  Wife and I went to hotpot in Chinatown other day for lunch and I ate an obscene amount of food, and then did brunch at Chief O'Neills this morning and ate even more.  My gravity well has begun to affect the moon I think.

3 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Did you check out the hippie town? It's called Makanda (forever) and it used to be big but now it's just a stretch of old store fronts, but they have a super cool garden in the back that you can wander through. Genuinely quite cool even if all smells like hippie. 

We did check out Makanda! I asked the locals about the history of Cracker's Neck Rd there and either nobody knew or wanted to give me a staight answer. I know the garden you're talking about, you have to walk through the metal sculpture shop that reeks of cigarette smoke, then back through the mop closet to get back there. Interesting, but gave me creepy vibes and I didn't linger back there too long. Very weird place overall, I recall having the conversation with my wife afterwards wondering how places like that can make ends meet.

Semi related - My wife and I got married in August of 2020, and since everything was closed for COVID, and our original plan was to Honeymoon in Jamaica but obviously that wasn't possible, so we went to South Dakota to visit the black hills.  Didn't realize at the time that Sturgis happened at that same time, so technically as a person who has never even been on a motorcycle before, I honeymooned at Sturgis.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Semi related - My wife and I got married in August of 2020, and since everything was closed for COVID, and our original plan was to Honeymoon in Jamaica but obviously that wasn't possible, so we went to South Dakota to visit the black hills.  Didn't realize at the time that Sturgis happened at that same time, so technically as a person who has never even been on a motorcycle before, I honeymooned at Sturgis.  

About 18 years ago I did a Sandals vacation in Jamaica as a somewhat newly wed.  It was a lot of fun.  

My brother went too with a date he just met.  That was kind of awkward, still really fun.  

Walking up Dunns River Falls was really cool.  Coffee is really good there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

It really depends on what you are looking to get out of the trip. Some parks are great for hiking. Others are great for sighting wildlife. Some are very historical, some are very busy, some you will see very few people. Obviously the climate will be different depending on where you go. They're all beautiful, but there's a big difference between parks like White Sands (New Mexico) and Great Sand Dunes (Colorado), and others like Rocky Mountain, Mesa Verde, Glacier, or even Hot Springs National Park. If you're looking for quiet reflection, consider Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, located near Gunnison, Colorado. It's the least visited National Park in the entire country annually. If you're looking to appreciate and learn about ancient civilizations, consider Mesa Verde National Park, also in Colorado. Local history? Hot Springs National Park is a cool place with a quaint little town built around the Hot Springs.

We never made it out to California/Washington/Oregon, but all have beautiful parks. Obviously the area you travel to will dictate the cost as well as how far in advance you will need to book. Some parks (when we travelled, it was limited to Rocky Mountain and Glacier) require timed entry passes (free) to access certain areas of the park (the most popular areas, for example Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier NP, Many Glacier in Glacier NP, and Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. If you are unable to secure a timed entry pass, a limited amount are released the day before, but there are also time periods where you can enter these areas without a timed entry permit. For Rocky Mountain's Bear Lake, entry passes are required between 5AM and 6PM. For Glacier's Going-to-the-Sun road, it's 6AM to 3PM. There is one workaround if you're unable to get an entry pass, you can go to a ranger's station and try to get a back-country camping permit. Even if you don't intend to back country camp, this can get you into the park.

To give you some perspective, when we hiked Glacier's Highline Trail to the Grinnell Glacier Overlook (17 mile hike, 5300 feet of total elevation gain) we arrived at the Logan Pass parking lot at about 4:30 AM, and the parking lot was already half full. Part of this is because it's the main parking lot for the Highline Trail trailhead, but also the park really is that busy.

If you have some more specific questions or know what kind of trip you're looking to take, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

I have to copy and paste this somewhere so I don’t lose it.  A lot of good stuff here.  

• Like 1

Karma (instant) as I was joking about the NFL "rigged" BS in another thread like an hour ago, but at school pickup I had another parent bitching about how the NFL was rigged, scam etc.   I believe this was all in response to me saying "Hi man" but anyway...  He brought up how he knew it was going to happen when the NFL "leaked" that chyron the other week supposedly showing the two teams they'd already selected, and how he knew it was all fake and that's why the Ravens lost, a team he liked.  Something (beyond the obvious) sounded off about that so I looked up the "leaked chyron" and it was saying the RAVENS were supposed to be in the Super Bowl.  I showed him the chyron, and he didn't buy it, saying "THEY" changed it.  (?) This is a grown *** man who is allowed to drive, vote and generally exist around me.  Also had kid A coming running out of school in a mask with a box of Covid tests two days before I'm supposed to chauffeur my mom around for her surgery. FFS. 

1 minute ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Karma (instant) as I was joking about the NFL "rigged" BS in another thread like an hour ago, but at school pickup I had another parent bitching about how the NFL was rigged, scam etc.   I believe this was all in response to me saying "Hi man" but anyway...  He brought up how he knew it was going to happen when the NFL "leaked" that chyron the other week supposedly showing the two teams they'd already selected, and how he knew it was all fake and that's why the Ravens lost, a team he liked.  Something (beyond the obvious) sounded off about that so I looked up the "leaked chyron" and it was saying the RAVENS were supposed to be in the Super Bowl.  I showed him the chyron, and he didn't buy it, saying "THEY" changed it.  (?) This is a grown *** man who is allowed to drive, vote and generally exist around me.  Also had kid A coming running out of school in a mask with a box of Covid tests two days before I'm supposed to chauffeur my mom around for her surgery. FFS. 

LOL

What is a chryon?  

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:
chy·ron

noun
TRADEMARK
  1. an electronically generated caption superimposed on a television or movie screen.

i also thought he had a typo then double downed on it.  But i learned something new today.

Extra credit: it's a misspelling of the company that invented the graphics that were first used on the news programs that bought the tech, which itself is named after a friendly centaur from Greek mythology. 

6 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Extra credit: it's a misspelling of the company that invented the graphics that were first used on the news programs that bought the tech, which itself is named after a friendly centaur from Greek mythology. 

So the little scroll or caption of words they put at bottom of television is called a 'chyron.'

I got that right? 

I imagine placing different words over a picture would be impossible to fake.

Thought I would share this here, found a game on Steam with overwhelmingly good reviews called Football Coach: College Dynasty. $15 game, think I'm probably gonna give it a try. It's a single player game but some of you would probably be very into it.

8 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Thought I would share this here, found a game on Steam with overwhelmingly good reviews called Football Coach: College Dynasty. $15 game, think I'm probably gonna give it a try. It's a single player game but some of you would probably be very into it.

I've been playing for five minutes, some of you guys are really going to fall in love with this game.