2024 NFL Draft 7 Round Mock/Ranking and Prospect Standouts (Edited 3/29/24)

Ozzy

New Guys I added to the draft after the combine:

Tanor Bortolini Wisconsin RS JR C
Christian Haynes UCONN SR OG
Garret Greenfield South Dakota State OT RS
Zach Frazier West Virginia SR C
Delmar Glaze Maryland SR OT
Devontez Walker UNC SR WR
Matt Lee Miami FL RS SR C
Jaylen Wright Tennessee JR RB
Isaac Guerendo Louisiville RS SR RB
Tip Reiman Illinois SR TE
Jarrian Jones Florida State RS SR CB
Quinyon Mitchell Toledo SR CB
Dominique Hampton Washington RS SR S
Evan Williams Oregon RS SR S
Kedon Slovis BYU RS SR QB
Trey Knox South Carolina RS SR TE

Biggest risers from their combine performance:

Braden Fiske Florida State RS
Tanor Bortolini Wisconsin RS JR C
Isaac Guerendo Louisiville RS SR RB
Ladd McConkey Georgia RS
Mekhi Wingo LSU JR
Quinyon Mitchell Toledo
Nate Wiggins Clemson JR
Tyler Guyton Oklahoma RS JR
Tip Reiman Illinois SR TE
Johnny Wilson Florida State RS JR
Brian Thomas LSU JR
Xavier Worthy Texas JR
Adonai Mitchell Texas JR
Luke McCaffrey Rice RS
Devontez Walker UNC
Ricky Pearsall Florida RS
Theo Johnson Penn State RS JR
Byron Murphy II Texas

Guys I have now out of the group being drafted now:

Kingsley Eguakun Florida RS JR C
Tayvion Robinson Kentucky RS SR WR
Donavon Greene Wake Forest SR WR
Te'Cory Couch Miami FL RS SR CB
Jeremy Flax Kentucky SR OT/OG
Carson Steele UCLA JR RB
Myles Sims Georgia Tech RS SR CB
Brady Latham Arkansas RS SR OG
Al Blades Duke RS SR CB
Andre Sam LSU RS SR S
Michael Wiley Arizona SR RB
Miyan Williams Ohio State RS JR RB
Joey Gatewood Louisville RS SR TE
Maema Njongmeta Wisconsin RS SR ILB
Tanner Mordecai Wisconsin RS SR QB
Mason Fairchild Kansas RS SR TE

On 4/19/2023 at 7:32 PM, Ozzy said:

2024 NFL Draft

1st
24) Dallas Cowboys: Amarius Mims Georgia JR OT   

Dream scenario for the Cowboys here - we'll take it.

2nd
56)   Dallas Cowboys:  Tyler Guyton Oklahoma RS JR OT   
58)  Green Bay Packers: Junior Colson Michigan JR LB    

As solid a prospect as Guyton is, we just resigned Steele to a long term contract so I don't see us going back-to-back picks at OT.  We don't need a Guard with Zack and Tyler locking those spots down at an elite level.  However, we desperately need help at ILB with LVE projected to medically retire and Overshown being our only depth player.  Junior Colson should be the pick here.

3rd
87) Dallas Cowboys:   Kalen King Penn State JR CB 
97) Philadelphia Eagles:  Tanor Bortolini Wisconsin RS JR C/OG  

If we don't resign Stephon Gilmore, then this pick makes sense.  King is a solid press-cover corner who fits Zimmer's scheme well.  That being said, IF we do resign Gilmore, then I think we would likely look elsewhere, like Bortolini for C.  Personally I don't have him ranked as a 3rd round prospect but post-combine I suppose anythings possible.

4th

5th
*171) Dallas Cowboys: Tahj Washington USC RS SR WR
 185) Miami Dolphins (via Chicago Bears):   Jonathon Brooks Texas JR RB  

Not saying we don't need some help at WR, but with our 1st and 2nd string RB's both hitting FA and a 4'10 midget as our only RB on the roster currently, I think the Cowboys would look up Jonathan Brooks at this point in the draft.  

6th
*212) Dallas Cowboys: Isaiah Coe Oklahoma RS SR DT  

7th
230) Dallas Cowboys (via Las Vegas):  Jawhar Jordan Louisville RS JR RB 
241)  Dallas Cowboys: Cam Goode Michigan RS SR DT   

I think we need some depth behind Parsons/Lawrence at DE more than we need depth at DT, with Fowler and Armstrong both set to hit Free Agency.  A could athletes down here might be better projects than a DT

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

New Guys I added to the draft after the combine:

Zach Frazier West Virginia SR C
Quinyon Mitchell Toledo SR CB

I am surprised you had missed these two.  Farzier has been Center#2 for a long time.  Mitchell is a MAC player so it might be forgiven (expect for those of us who watch the MAC)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Dream scenario for the Cowboys here - we'll take it.

As solid a prospect as Guyton is, we just resigned Steele to a long term contract so I don't see us going back-to-back picks at OT.  We don't need a Guard with Zack and Tyler locking those spots down at an elite level.  However, we desperately need help at ILB with LVE projected to medically retire and Overshown being our only depth player.  Junior Colson should be the pick here.

If we don't resign Stephon Gilmore, then this pick makes sense.  King is a solid press-cover corner who fits Zimmer's scheme well.  That being said, IF we do resign Gilmore, then I think we would likely look elsewhere, like Bortolini for C.  Personally I don't have him ranked as a 3rd round prospect but post-combine I suppose anythings possible.

Not saying we don't need some help at WR, but with our 1st and 2nd string RB's both hitting FA and a 4'10 midget as our only RB on the roster currently, I think the Cowboys would look up Jonathan Brooks at this point in the draft.  

I think we need some depth behind Parsons/Lawrence at DE more than we need depth at DT, with Fowler and Armstrong both set to hit Free Agency.  A could athletes down here might be better projects than a DT

Honestly that Mims one was a quick switch and clearly if they address OT 1st round they will not take one in the 2nd most likely.  I will have to fix that.  I will have to do that with a few other teams because I made some small 1st round pick changes.  

Looking at it again I might have the Cowboys take Junior Colson with that 2nd pick.  They need LB help badly on the inside and have to be able to stop the run for once.  Will be curious how Parsons is uses, if he is a down DE in the 4/3 or not.  Will be a totally different defense, curious how Kearse thinks of it, because Zimmer had him in the dog house most of his time in Minnesota.  But then again maybe he will not be resigned and go sign with Washington to stay with Quinn.

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

I am surprised you had missed these two.  Farzier has been Center#2 for a long time.  Mitchell is a MAC player so it might be forgiven (expect for those of us who watch the MAC)

Honestly I do not watch West Virginia a ton and when I did he never really stood out, but doesn't he have a bit of an injury history?  I would still take the Georgia center of him along with Powers-Johnson as well.

As for Quinyon Mitchell, you had him as a 1st rounder before the season started?  I doubt that, and he is lucky DeJean is hurt because DeJean on the field has been ball skills, is just as good if not a better tackler, better on special teams as a return man, better than Mitchell as a gunner and is more versatile being able to play safety and slot and boundary corner.  Only issue is his speed, my guess is if or when he works out he could rep 225 15-20 times and would have a 40" vertical or around that and should be able to run a 4.4 or better.  Mitchell is tough and mirrors very well, he can mirror better than DeJean but DeJean was never really asked to do that either.  Both strong tough players but Mitchell is helped with DeJean not being out there and same with Kool-Aid really.  Would be impressive to know him well before now, of course Senior Bowl work but knowing he was good means you knew it two years ago.  And yes most MAC players I do not know because I do not watch them a ton at all.  Lucky for the NFL and others they gather players at the Senior Bowl or combine and then they go from that which is a lot easier seeing guys side by side or right next to each other.

Edited by Ozzy

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Honestly I do not watch West Virginia a ton and when I did he never really stood out, but doesn't he have a bit of an injury history?  I would still take the Georgia center of him along with Powers-Johnson as well.

Zack Fraizier is a wrestler and they always do well for IOL.  JPJ for the athletic moving wide zone offense.  Fraizer for the phone booth strength.  Fraizer is recovering from a broken leg.  I am not sure will do a pro day as we might just be starting to run on it.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

As for Quinyon Mitchell, you had him as a 1st rounder before the season started?  I doubt that, and he is lucky DeJean is hurt because DeJean on the field has been ball skills, is just as good if not a better tackler, better on special teams as a return man, better than Mitchell as a gunner and is more versatile being able to play safety and slot and boundary corner.  Only issue is his speed, my guess is if or when he works out he could rep 225 15-20 times and would have a 40" vertical or around that and should be able to run a 4.4 or better.  Mitchell is tough and mirrors very well, he can mirror better than DeJean but DeJean was never really asked to do that either.  Both strong tough players but Mitchell is helped with DeJean not being out there and same with Kool-Aid really.  Would be impressive to know him well before now, of course Senior Bowl work but knowing he was good means you knew it two years ago.  And yes most MAC players I do not know because I do not watch them a ton at all.  Lucky for the NFL and others they gather players at the Senior Bowl or combine and then they go from that which is a lot easier seeing guys side by side or right next to each other.

Again, if you do not watch the MAC you would not know him.  I had him as a high 2nd round pick before the season.  He is like Joey Porter Jr in that he a long rangy CB will a lot of physical skills and less technique.  Right now, I think draftniks are putting him too high.  He is still a bit of a raw technique out of the MAC.  Late teen to early 20s but I think he goes in the 1st.

DeJean has great ball skills but I think will end up as a safety in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Injury history?  No, broke his leg, but has healed up quick.  

Dude was a 4 time state champ wrestler and a really, really good center.

I'm surprised you didn't have him on your board already, I think he's a borderline first round pick and my 2nd overall C after JPJ.  

8 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Injury history?  No, broke his leg, but has healed up quick.  

Dude was a 4 time state champ wrestler and a really, really good center.

I'm surprised you didn't have him on your board already, I think he's a borderline first round pick and my 2nd overall C after JPJ.  

24 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Zack Fraizier is a wrestler and they always do well for IOL.  JPJ for the athletic moving wide zone offense.  Fraizer for the phone booth strength.  Fraizer is recovering from a broken leg.  I am not sure will do a pro day as we might just be starting to run on it.

True I need to actually watch West Virginia more.  And yes I watched the combine as well and all the talk about him being a state wrestling camp and how that is great for IOL to be a former wrestler.  Still fact remains did you have him that highly rated back last February?  It is easy to sit and watch the Senior Bowl or Combine and just hear who they talk up.  West Virginia does have a solid run game and solid backs the past few years, guess I should have looked more at the interior OL, kind of skipped over it since the tackles were nothing great, obviously the interior with Frazier was.  

Kole Taylor on West Virginia could be a stud TE, dude was standout this past year and is a huge target, Bartlett transferred I thought he had some talent as a pass rusher but is now at Cincinnati and Donaldson maybe could be something at RB for them.  I really like the upside of young RS freshman soon to be RS sophomore WR Clement, he could be something, great route runner.  And I do feel Bennie Bishop should be drafted in the up coming draft, very good ball skills, could be a great slot and had 20 passes deflected this past year.  

24 minutes ago, jebrick said:

DeJean has great ball skills but I think will end up as a safety in the NFL.

Sure he could end up as a safety, a Pro Bowl level safety.  Still fact remains DeJean is better than Mitchell in almost everything outside of mirroring a WR.  And honestly only other question is top end speed and not sure DeJean would not run a sub 4.4 40 and most likely will if he gets the chance to and healthy.  DeJean also played against far greater competition week in and week out and was an absolute stud the entire football world knew about and that has been for the last two years.  

And throw in DeJean's outstanding basketball skills, overall he is probably a better athlete as well, dude is legit and only thing keeping him from that is the fact he could not workout and show it.  Mitchell has done great at the Senior Bowl and Combine, DeJean clearly did nothing at either event....

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

True I need to actually watch West Virginia more.  And yes I watched the combine as well and all the talk about him being a state wrestling camp and how that is great for IOL to be a former wrestler.  Still fact remains did you have him that highly rated back last February?  It is easy to sit and watch the Senior Bowl or Combine and just hear who they talk up.  West Virginia does have a solid run game and solid backs the past few years, guess I should have looked more at the interior OL, kind of skipped over it since the tackles were nothing great, obviously the interior with Frazier was.  

That high last Feb?  Not quite, but I thought he was second day and moved him up during the season.  

I don't move guys way up or down after the season barring something insane.

• 2 weeks later...

With that trade Washington made getting Howell out to Seattle and the Patriots shipping Mac Jones to the Jaguars...little chance there are not three QBs taken in the first three picks even though there are tons of talented players and many of whom are arguably better than the QBs potentially.

Will be very curious if the Bears stick with Fields or trade Fields, they could get a huge haul if getting Marvin Harrison Jr with the 1st overall then getting a WR, or OT or edge with the 9th pick.  And if things do not workout with Fields they are not locked into him and can just get their future QB in 2025.

But still guys like Alt will drop a bit because of the QB rush, even Marvin Harrison Jr who should be 2nd overall could drop to 4th.  A very solid OT in Fashanu will drop, even Dallas Turner could be 8th overall or a solid OL like Fautanu or Fuaga dropping past where they should be taken.  Especially a guy like Verse who is a massive steal if he drops to say the Raiders pick because of the run on QBs.  The real shocker will be Brock Bowers, he could fall big time, potential top 5 pick, gets hurt and cannot run at the combine or Georgia's pro day, he could be a total steal if he drops past the top 15 picks.  Some some teams could get great deals with the QB run no question.  

Will be interesting, and will be interesting on who gambles on JJ McCarthy.  Honestly if he goes top 3 that is nuts to me considering how poorly he threw the ball.  Sure people say Drake Maye had a bad year, even in a bad year he made throws JJ McCarthy has never made on Michigan.

College Football National Champion starting QBs, the last 26 starting QBs from those teams.  Clearly any QB that was on a great team with a great defense and great run game, they did not really turn out in the NFL.  Only one that did who was not a 500+ yard rusher on the ground was Joe Burrow.  The rest with guys like Lawrence and especially Hurts, Newton and Watson were mobile QBs who ran the ball a ton on the ground for those teams and gained yardage.  Tua Tagovailoa was on that National Title team with Hurts but clearly only played a bit but made that huge play to win it when it mattered.  

Clearly McCarthy is athletic but never came close to rushing for over 500 yards in a season on Michigan, Watson rushed for over 1000 yards in his time at Clemson, Hurts almost did it twice while four years in college and Newton did it big time during that National Title run for Auburn that season.  

JJ McCarthy Michigan
Stetson Bennett Georgia
Stetson Bennett Georgia
Mac Jones Alabama
Joe Burrow LSU
Trevor Lawrence Clemson
Jalen Hurts
Deshaun Watson Clemson
Jake Coker Alabama
JT Barrett Ohio State
Jameis Winston Florida State
AJ McCarron Alabama
AJ McCarron Alabama
Cam Newton Auburn
Greg McElroy Alabama
Tim Tebow Florida
Matt Flynn LSU
Tim Tebow Florida
Vince Young Texas
Matt Leinart USC
Matt Leinart USC/ Matt Mauck LSU
Craig Krenzel Ohio State
Ken Dorsey Miami FL
Josh Heupel Oklahoma
Chris Weinke Florida State
Tee Martin Tennessee

So what will JJ McCarthy be?  We will see, but the few that were successful on this list, almost all were strong, mobile athletic guys who were physically able to create without totally depending on their passing.  Not sure JJ can be that in the NFL.

• Like 2

• Ozzy changed the title to 2024 NFL Draft 7 Round Mock/Ranking and Prospect Standouts (Edited 3/29/24)