Name successful players acquired by teams they didn’t want to play for at first

brownie man

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

He tested completely out of his mind - he was the first 290+ DE with that sort of athleticism, he was truly a freak of nature physically.

This appears way more true in hindsight than it was at the time if i remember right. Not that his numbers weren't elite looking back at them, they were, but they were elite in the 3-4 DE way which shows up in 3-cone, shuttle, arm length, etc. and no one really understood how to value them during that draft.

Forget size corrections and z-scores, this was back in the day when people wondered if he would be too tall. Remember how the rule used to be if you were over 6'5", you should have been an OT?

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This appears way more true in hindsight than it was at the time if i remember right. Not that his numbers weren't elite looking back at them, they were, but they were elite in the 3-4 DE way which shows up in 3-cone, shuttle, arm length, etc. and no one really understood how to value them during that draft.

I think the big number was the 4.7 40 yard dash and 40 inch vert  - somebody that big shouldn’t have been that fast and explosive, and there was the belief he could put on around 10 lbs and still perform at a very high level. (35 reps at 225 was also otherworldly…)

Nowadays, we know the metrics to follow that give us an indication of on field potential - but back then, these glamour events held a lot of weight and Williams put on a show when doing them.

• Like 1

Not too extreme BUT when Marshall was on the trade block, he told his agent that he did not want to play on astroturf anymore.

On top of that, the Rams were neck and neck with the Bengals for worst team of the 90s.

I don't think Faulk technically ever said he didn't want to play for the Rams, but I'd say honorable mention for the circumstances

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Not too extreme BUT when Marshall was on the trade block, he told his agent that he did not want to play on astroturf anymore.

On top of that, the Rams were neck and neck with the Bengals for worst team of the 90s.

I don't think Faulk technically ever said he didn't want to play for the Rams, but I'd say honorable mention for the circumstances

100% true thanks for that. Wild how you get the greatest show on turf. 

Next year potential candidate?

"You got some family and friends? Awesome. We'll celebrate here. We're gonna make you a Buffalo Bill in just a minute, buddy."
An awkward pause occurs. Looking into Kincaid's room his friend is frantically looking for the Bills cap, which is buried behind a stack of the other options. The Cowboys, Packers, Bengals and Chargers hats sit notably at the front.
Kincaid replied stoically, "excited."

• Like 2