Name successful players acquired by teams they didn’t want to play for at first

brownie man

With the draft around the corner I think it’d be cool to think of some success stories. 

whether it’s the draft or a trade can anyone think of some players who were either taken by teams/cities they didn’t want to play for and eventually they came around. And also players who were traded to teams they didn’t want to play for but eventually came around. 

Like I think Jimmy Kelly might be one. I think he hated the fact Buffalo picked him at first but then he came to love it. What are some other stories like that?

Edited by brownie man

Andre Johnson didn't want to go to Houston. 

Jimmy Smith didn't want to play for Jacksonville, because it was new organization with zero prestige. His changed his mind when his father basically slapped him upside the head saying he didn't have a job, and couldn't afford to be snobby. 

Warren Sapp did not want to play for the Bucs. You can see his demeanor when he was drafted while being interviewed. Just seemed utterly bummed out. 

All these players came around eventually. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Any good player for the Browns. So Chubb, Garrett, Thomas, and Jim Brown.

Always fun to dunk on the Browns, but I'd legitimately appreciate it if you'd leave Joe Thomas off of the list. He did more for the city and fans than about anyone else in Browns history, including what he did for our late great moderator Joe "Crackburn" Blackburn.

• Like 8

Reggie Bush didn’t want to come to New Orleans and his agent tried to strong arm New Orleans into not picking him.

According to Sean Payton his phone call with Bush’s agent just before the selection ended with a “**** off” and the pick was made not really sure it Bush would ever play for the Saints 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Andre Johnson didn't want to go to Houston. 

First time I’ve heard this one - got a source? Would be an interesting read. He played in Houston for a very long time, so I guess he eventually enjoyed it here.

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Jim Kelly cried when the Bills drafted him. And not happy tears.

LeSean McCoy for a variety of reasons didn't want to come to Buffalo initially. 

Yeah he literally cheered when Buffalo passed on him with their first 1st rounder that year. He also trashed Buffalo every chance he got while he was in the USFL. Pretty funny to look back on in hindsight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Always fun to dunk on the Browns, but I'd legitimately appreciate it if you'd leave Joe Thomas off of the list. He did more for the city and fans than about anyone else in Browns history, including what he did for our late great moderator Joe "Crackburn" Blackburn.

Hey, Chubb is supposed to be a good guy, too, yeah?

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

First time I’ve heard this one - got a source? Would be an interesting read. He played in Houston for a very long time, so I guess he eventually enjoyed it here.

I think he mentioned it as his retirement presser. Also maybe on Arian Foster's podcast a few years ago. Basically he said that he was thinking "Man...I gotta go to Houston???" Also talked about that commercial with David Carr having no offensive line. Andre is a pretty laid back guy, so when he said that "story" which was really just a remark on his first thought when getting drafted by the Texans, he didn't seem devastated like Warren Sapp was in contrast. Seemed more proactive about it the way Andre described it. He quickly changed his attitude when he became a Texan it seemed like. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 2:37 PM, Dome said:

Reggie Bush didn’t want to come to New Orleans and his agent tried to strong arm New Orleans into not picking him.

According to Sean Payton his phone call with Bush’s agent just before the selection ended with a “**** off” and the pick was made not really sure it Bush would ever play for the Saints 

You could tell in his face. Or was that just the narcissism of not being number 1, as he expected?