Name successful players acquired by teams they didn’t want to play for at first

brownie man

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:
22 hours ago, malak1 said:

That was a weird draft. I remember him being the presumptive number 1 pick up until like a couple of days before the draft. 

I was totally surprised to hear any other name other than Bush. From memory, he was like a locked on number 1 as it got at the time 

It was the night before I think. Broke on Friday night that the Texans and Williams agreed to a deal, and there weren't even reports that the Texans were negotiating with anyone other than Bush.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Gronk was on a podcast not long ago. He said he was ecstatic he got drafted by the pats. He did the dance with the cap and all that and immediately got a phone call from the Pats asking him to stop. 😂

Stand corrected! I remember him being ecstatic that he was drafted, not sure how he felt about NE specifically/his early days there. 

On 4/21/2023 at 10:40 AM, malak1 said:

That was a weird draft. I remember him being the presumptive number 1 pick up until like a couple of days before the draft. 

The “Mario Williams as the #1 pick” momentum didn’t even start until the night before the draft (literally about 24 hours before the draft) when it was announced he had already negotiated his deal and was going number 1. A few reputable people in Houston media thought it was a joke or mistake. Prior to that, the only real name in consideration was Vince Young (due to his ties to Houston). 

It definitely was an odd situation. But it was ultimately the right pick given the trajectories of each player.

• Like 5

On 4/21/2023 at 4:55 AM, Pugger said:

It wasn't the draft but I recall when we signed Charles Woodson he was less than thrilled.  But he eventually came around and ended up as one of the leaders of that SB locker room.

What? He signed a contract didn't he?

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

The “Mario Williams as the #1 pick” momentum didn’t even start until the night before the draft (literally about 24 hours before the draft) when it was announced he had already negotiated his deal and was going number 1. A few reputable people in Houston media thought it was a joke or mistake. Prior to that, the only real name in consideration was Vince Young (due to his ties to Houston). 

It definitely was an odd situation. But it was ultimately the right pick given the trajectories of each player.

Mario was a hell of a player for a while too and Bush didn't live up to the hype. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

What? He signed a contract didn't he?

Woodson has openly acknowledged that GB was not where he wanted to go, but his only other option was to sign with TB at a much lower number.  TB also wanted him to play S rather than CB.

The Packers waited him out, and Woodson eventually signed with GB a few days before the draft.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

How close we came to your un being EliteTexan5

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Mario was a hell of a player for a while too and Bush didn't live up to the hype. 

I remember saying that on here once and iPwn tore me to shreds for it, as if his 5000 career rush yards was sufficient for a player of his stature and expectation. Apparently have to take yards from scrimmage into account as he’s better as a receiving back too, but he really only had a couple good receiving years, the rest very mid. 

On 4/21/2023 at 11:07 PM, Wyld Stallyns said:

Two pages in and no mention of Elway/Colts and Eli Manning/Chargers? You people are too young. 

Naw you just didn’t read the OP

taken by teams/cities they didn’t want to play for and eventually they came around.

I remember when Roy Williams was drafted #7 overall by the Lions in 2004, he got up on the podium looking like someone shot his dog. He came around a little, I don't know if he ever loved it in Detroit but he was decent, didn't sign a second contract and the Lions traded him to Dallas

On 4/22/2023 at 11:23 PM, ET80 said:

He was also not a consensus top 10 pick at the end of the CFB season. Guy steadily rose through the draft process.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He was also not a consensus top 10 pick at the end of the CFB season. Guy steadily rose through the draft process.

He tested completely out of his mind - he was the first 290+ DE with that sort of athleticism, he was truly a freak of nature physically.

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

If Bush was drafted I probably never join the site...

I have a similar path here....I had lurked this site for awhile, but created account after Chiefs traded for Cassel, so I could express my displeasure.  Mainly because NE was reported to be seeking two 1st, when comp came out and Vrabel was included I didn't hate it so much.  I became a Cassel fan and was one of his last supporters.    

• Like 1