Brock Purdy franchise QB?

49erurtaza

On 5/2/2023 at 7:16 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

We do have a couple of years to wait and see, so why not do exactly that? 

I have no problem with the team waiting it out. However, the entire reason for drafting Trey was to set themselves up to win long term and find that franchise guy. My worry is that Brock isn't that player and you wait yourselves right out of your current window with your current roster. Essentially the FO has to replace guys so it will land on their shoulders if they contend past this group, but if not it would be a huge blunder.

2 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I have no problem with the team waiting it out. However, the entire reason for drafting Trey was to set themselves up to win long term and find that franchise guy. My worry is that Brock isn't that player and you wait yourselves right out of your current window with your current roster. Essentially the FO has to replace guys so it will land on their shoulders if they contend past this group, but if not it would be a huge blunder.

Right now, we have TWO young talents we can wait and see with, not just one. 

I think you worry too much. Just relax and enjoy some football...in about 3 and a half months. Sigh. Too long. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

The problem is team is in a must-win situation. They have a two-year window to get a super bowl out of this roster. 

21 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Right now, we have TWO young talents we can wait and see with, not just one. 

I think you worry too much. Just relax and enjoy some football...in about 3 and a half months. Sigh. Too long. 

I dont worry at all, its a figure of speech. Im 38 with an 11 year old. My perspective is just fine. I dont believe this regime knows what they are doing at QB because they have shown time and again that they dont. 

It's also a misrepresentation to think they have 2 years to wait and see with Trey. He hasn't played in how long? At some point he has to get on the field or you cannot have any real faith in putting him out there. If Brock is their guy we will know by mid season. Until of course Kyle decides he isn't, which is also very possible. None of that changes the fact that before they decide if they want to hand a bag to either Brock or Trey they need to see them play more than an 8 game sample. You cannot accomplish that for both at the same time. So in 2 years we either have that guy and pay him, dont have that guy at all, let Brock play and miss out on that guy in Trey or let Trey play and miss that guy with Brock. Skillsets say Trey has a better shot, but we all know skillsets do not always make good QBs. 

29 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

The problem is team is in a must-win situation. They have a two-year window to get a super bowl out of this roster. 

This is a big part of it. You can only get so close before people sour on the regime. I believe the Niners can sustain success long term with retooling of the roster, but there are going to be tough decisions to make on guys soon. So do you chase the title with maybe the more polished QB in Purdy or do you use this time to hopefully speed up Trey into the type of guy who can win regardless of what is around him?

On 5/23/2023 at 6:54 AM, clarkfn2284 said:

This is a big part of it. You can only get so close before people sour on the regime. I believe the Niners can sustain success long term with retooling of the roster, but there are going to be tough decisions to make on guys soon. So do you chase the title with maybe the more polished QB in Purdy or do you use this time to hopefully speed up Trey into the type of guy who can win regardless of what is around him?

I just hope the team doesn't run out of them like last year.  

On 5/23/2023 at 9:54 AM, clarkfn2284 said:

I think Trey's time is done here, we are just playing out the string.  His only hope would be if purdys injury keeps him out (at the current point in time I'm going to assume Purdy makes it back without issues to start the season) or it really impacts the way he plays / saps a little bit of his skills that he can ill afford to lose. 

I don't think there's a long term future here for Trey, I don't think the staff thinks there is, so I can't really see them spending any unnecessary time on Trey. Purdy is their guy until he's not, but I think Purdy will dictate that. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I think Trey's time is done here, we are just playing out the string.  His only hope would be if purdys injury keeps him out (at the current point in time I'm going to assume Purdy makes it back without issues to start the season) or it really impacts the way he plays / saps a little bit of his skills that he can ill afford to lose. 

I don't think there's a long term future here for Trey, I don't think the staff thinks there is, so I can't really see them spending any unnecessary time on Trey. Purdy is their guy until he's not, but I think Purdy will dictate that. 

I see it the same way, which Im not fond of. I think Purdy is fine, but I dont see him as a franchise guy so far. Measurables are just that, and his ability to lead and win with a good team proved to be substantial. I just hate that they may be passing on a guy who you can win with regardless of the talent surrounding him for the safe option. It feels like at best they are using Trey to get back to Brock and even that feels like a possible stretch for me because of their infatuation with Darnold.

56 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I see it the same way, which Im not fond of. I think Purdy is fine, but I dont see him as a franchise guy so far. Measurables are just that, and his ability to lead and win with a good team proved to be substantial. I just hate that they may be passing on a guy who you can win with regardless of the talent surrounding him for the safe option. It feels like at best they are using Trey to get back to Brock and even that feels like a possible stretch for me because of their infatuation with Darnold.

The bolded is unsubstantiated at this point.

There's a good chance that isn't Lance's trajectory.

Off schedule ability is one thing. But saying he'll eventually be skilled enough to make lemonade out of lemons is a Top Tier skillset few possess. 

That very well may be Lance's ceiling.

But who's to say he ever gets there?

I don't think that's a formality at this point.

More like wishful thinking if you're basing it off of what we've seen to this point.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

The bolded is unsubstantiated at this point.

There's a good chance that isn't Lance's trajectory.

Off schedule ability is one thing. But saying he'll eventually be skilled enough to make lemonade out of lemons is a Top Tier skillset few possess. 

That very well may be Lance's ceiling.

But who's to say he ever gets there?

I don't think that's a formality at this point.

More like wishful thinking if you're basing it off of what we've seen to this point.

That is why I worded it how I did. I am fully aware that at this point neither guy has a sample size large enough to form an opinion one way or the other. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Forge said:

All of the Darnold and Trey drama a total waste of time lol

Good for Purdy

I mean we still don't know how Purdy is going to react or feel to the recovery. Far too early to say one way or another. All the doctors that commented on this think it will be very difficult for Purdy to be ready for week 1. We think Purdy is going to be 100% by then because of the few sessions he's had? Where he's not even throwing a football? 

46 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean we still don't know how Purdy is going to react or feel to the recovery. Far too early to say one way or another. All the doctors that commented on this think it will be very difficult for Purdy to be ready for week 1. We think Purdy is going to be 100% by then because of the few sessions he's had? Where he's not even throwing a football? 

I think he started last week. 

Regardless of that, I feel like our beat writers are super out of the loop these days. It definitely seems like the national guys have better luck with our team, so I feel like this is all just conjecture at this point. 

If Brock is ready to go, I have a hard time believing that Shanny will go with anyone else, but I'm also not buying into this other stuff we're hearing up to this point either.