Final Draft Thoughts 2023

Superduperman

39 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Say what you want about their site, but they were one of the few sites that consistently had the Lions taking a RB early even if they were mocking Bijan Robinson.

I think Charlie Campbell has been one of the most accurate draft guys over the past 5 years

10 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

My big things is that usually guys who slip that were previously thought of higher rarely work out.  Like last year everyone though Malik Willis was going to be a 1st round QB, slips to the mid third and people think its a steal.  Well one year later the Titans are trading up for a QB in the early second.  The later round guys that typically do well are guys who shoot up to the third, not ones that fall to the third.  I don't expect Ringo to have an impact for them just like Dean didn't.  Maybe Dean plays more this year but he was a 1st round prospect and the reason people loved last years draft for them was because they got him in the 3rd.  We needed a LB, and one like him who was super athletic and passed on him 3 times.  There is a reason these guys fall but the media loves the name recognition and pumps up their draft classes. 

This 100% . Those guys have been scouted to death by every team in the league. They weren’t over looked or under-scouted.  They fell for a reason. Same goes for early 5 star guys in high school that slowly slide or show up to all American weeks and get worked rarely pan out. 

Now to put on the homer glasses on Branch defense he was still the first safety selected in a draft loaded at the more valued corner position. Most teams looking for secondary help were likely valuing a good number of corners over Branch , especially after the combine and his ability to cover wr’s in the slot came into serious question.  That’s really what I think it boils down Branch has 1st rd tape but at that end of the day it’s about what you can do or I can do with you in my defense. A BB that can line up in the slot and legit play man on slot wr’s on top of all of his other assets is probably a top 20 pick. A Branch that can’t is probably a high to mid 2nd.  I’m guessing teams judged him as just a really good , smart , physical football that will start in the NFL possibly for a long time. However IF and again IF he can’t either A) cover single high or B) Play man to man on good slot wr”s then he’s (theme of the draft) a very non premium position. 

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I had Googled it out of curiousity. There was a database.

I quick google search on my end gave different answers on just about every site that had most accurate list, looking over a quick 5-6 . Only name that popped up as 1st on more than 1 site Brendan Donahue (no idea who he is) Walt’s site makes this claim for Charlie every year and I’ve yet to find another source confirm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

I quick google search on my end gave different answers on just about every site that had most accurate list, looking over a quick 5-6 . Only name that popped up as 1st on more than 1 site Brendan Donahue (no idea who he is) Walt’s site makes this claim for Charlie every year and I’ve yet to find another source confirm. 

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-drafts/2022

Here's last years.

14 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Say what you want about their site, but they were one of the few sites that consistently had the Lions taking a RB early even if they were mocking Bijan Robinson.

They also had us taking Drake London at 2 in the majority of there mocks last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

CHARLIE

• 2023 - #8
  • 2022 - #2
  • 2021 - #1
  • 2020 - #125
  • 2019 - #1
  • 2018 - #25

AVG: #27 (#7.4 if you exclude 2020)

WALTER

• 2023 - #4
  • 2022 - #58
  • 2021 - #4
  • 2020 - #66
  • 2019 - #2
  • 2018 - #2

AVG: #23 (#14 if you exclude 2020)

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/accuracy/mock-drafts.php

I love the fact that McShay (72) and Kiper (52) are so low given all of their "insider" info.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I love the fact that McShay (72) and Kiper (52) are so low given all of their "insider" info.  

There's a lot of these professionals that seem to fall far off the mark on a regular basis. I get it, the draft is very fluid (I'd love to see the number of picks where the original team actually selected a player in that spot, seems like it'd be low) but you have connections all over the league. 

I honestly don't get the appeal of Peter Schrager. He seems really smug and self-satisfied while trying to play it off like he's laid back and easy going. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Also a friend and myself have done a mock draft contest for a bottle of booze for years and this year I would have ranked 16th with 148 points. 

What kind of booze are we talking about here? How many rounds?