Philapelphia Eagles Draft Day 1 Discussion -- NO SPOILERS

EaglesPeteC

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ya lets just cut a player who clearly has value to the team because?????? Why not.

Like in no world are we cutting a third year player who has contributed to this team or dumping him for a 7th lol. Makes absolutely zero sense.

Idk tbh I feel like I got baited to even responding to this one.

You did. You gotta just smile and nod when Jeezla goes full Jeezla.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Eagles had the second best 1st round, does not mean we can not analyze Nolan Smith.  If we were all in lock step, there would be nothing to discuss, and no reason for this message board.

We’d still thrive on consensus talk, like how handsome Hurts is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ya lets just cut a player who clearly has value to the team because?????? Why not.

Like in no world are we cutting a third year player who has contributed to this team or dumping him for a 7th lol. Makes absolutely zero sense.

Idk tbh I feel like I got baited to even responding to this one.

Milton Williams is not good

39 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

That's an opinion just like mine. You don't like most of the new guys.. I do.

Seems like you didn't even like the Carter pick. Not much is gonna make you happy if that's the case

I do, but you can't count on rookies as an improvement for the immediate season when replacing a pro bowler. 

On paper it's looking good for following seasons, we'll see. 

20 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This is the most Jeezla post of all time

Nah, "We should fire Chip kelly" was. Got way more flack for that, which ended up being true, just like all of my "Jeezla takes". For every Jeezla take, there is 3 or 4 what I call "Group Stupid" takes, where 4 or more of you all agree on a bad take, like this team needing Milton Williams or thinking we shouldn't fire Chip Kelly because he made the playoffs the year before.

Edited by Jeezla

50 minutes ago, downundermike said:

We did not out execute them on offense.  We had a 10 point lead at the half, if we matched them score for score, the Chiefs never take the lead.

We did not execute them on Defense. We had a 10 pt lead at half, if our Defense matched them stop for stop, the Chiefs never take the lead.

I can play that dumb *** game too.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Where did I say anything even remotely close to this? LOL 

I never once said our defense was only good because of our DL. I just said they make the guys behind them play better because they are so good. Extremely simple concept. Obviously you want good players everywhere, but it all starts up front. If you don't have a good DL your defense has no chance at all.

Agreed on the last sentence, but we tend to go one level defense and negates the DL that we prioritize so much. As usual, I'm not saying we shouldn't build trough the trenches, but they aren't the end all be all like we tend to go in the draft/FA. We need to address the second and third levels of the defense before going with what are essentially luxury picks with rotational guys that can be found later in the draft given the roles we employ them with. 

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

Agreed on the last sentence, but we tend to go one level defense and negates the DL that we prioritize so much. As usual, I'm not saying we shouldn't build trough the trenches, but they aren't the end all be all like we tend to go in the draft/FA. We need to address the second and third levels of the defense before going with what are essentially luxury picks with rotational guys that can be found later in the draft given the roles we employ them with. 

Very rarely is an OL or DL pick a "luxury" pick. Reality is that rotational DL are often quite valuable to teams because every DL operates on a rotation. It is why the Giants just paid 8 mil for A'shawn Robinson who will be their 3rd/4th DT but wouldn't give that money to their starting Safety Love and let him walk for 6 mil. 

Like Milton for example hasn't been exactly what we wanted to this point. Hopefully this year he is getting closer to 45% of the snap share rather than 35%. But that doesn't mean he has no value or was a waste of a pick to this point. If he has a couple good years it could end up still being a good pick. You need a lot of good DL in today's NFL. Having a good starting 4 doesn't cut it. You need to be 7-8 deep.

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Very rarely is an OL or DL pick a "luxury" pick. Reality is that rotational DL are often quite valuable to teams because every DL operates on a rotation. It is why the Giants just paid 8 mil for A'shawn Robinson who will be their 3rd/4th DT but wouldn't give that money to their starting Safety Love and let him walk for 6 mil. 

Like Milton for example hasn't been exactly what we wanted to this point. Hopefully this year he is getting closer to 45% of the snap share rather than 35%. But that doesn't mean he has no value or was a waste of a pick to this point. If he has a couple good years it could end up still being a good pick. You need a lot of good DL in today's NFL. Having a good starting 4 doesn't cut it. You need to be 7-8 deep.

I don't disagree with that, 7-8 deep is an exaggeration though, unless you start to neglect other areas of the roster which is my point. 

I do want them to have strong trenches, but I want them to try to build a complete defense instead of going so unbalanced. You can even argue it is a more sustainable method given how DT is always a need despite being a draft/money pit for us, the way we've gone the needs remain the same for us year after year while also adding to the never ending "need" of the trenches except for that one year where two players in the secondary became available for us way late in the offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don't disagree with that, 7-8 deep is an exaggeration though, unless you start to neglect other areas of the roster which is my point. 

I do want them to have strong trenches, but I want them to try to build a complete defense instead of going so unbalanced. You can even argue it is a more sustainable method given how DT is always a need despite being a draft/money pit for us, the way we've gone the needs remain the same for us year after year while also adding to the never ending "need" of the trenches except for that one year where two players in the secondary became available for us way late in the offseason. 

The idea is basically that if the DL is strong enough you can find value guys or lottery picks that can come in at LB and Safety and fill that hole at a level that will allow your defense to still function at a high level. I overall agree with this idea, but you can't do that at CB. CB is too important of a position to take chances at which is the one area the Eagles have done a poor job in the past. I really hope we can get a decent CB tonight with one of our picks.

3 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The idea is basically that if the DL is strong enough you can find value guys or lottery picks that can come in at LB and Safety and fill that hole at a level that will allow your defense to still function at a high level. I overall agree with this idea, but you can't do that at CB. CB is too important of a position to take chances at which is the one area the Eagles have done a poor job in the past. I really hope we can get a decent CB tonight with one of our picks.

And it hasn't worked for us at LB at Safety either. 

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Well earlier you seemed to the our LB and Safeties played pretty well last year no? That seemed to work out just fine imo.

Oh yes it worked that one time and look at the defense. Hence why we should look to have it for more than a year rental. 

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

Oh yes it worked that one time and look at the defense. Hence why we should look to have it for more than a year rental. 

I mean.... lets see who is starting at LB and Safety then before we say it isn't working? 

I really don't care if we bring in rentals every year as long as the players we are starting are playing well enough for us to win football games. We also just drafted Dean in the third round last year so that could be a guy that sticks. We just have to wait and see what they do with the rest of the draft. There will still be moves to be made after the draft is done as well.