🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

58 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think the biggest issues with Wilson are his get off and lack of moves. If he developed both with his physical tools he’d be a pro bowl DL. Rn he is a rotational inside pass rusher at best. We need to see a lot more and it’s just not good enough. Maybe he’s not responding to coaching well. It’s concerning for sure 

The trouble is, if you move him inside he’s taking snaps from guys that are at this moment much better pass rushers. Wilkins and Jenkins are effectively our starters with Adam Butler rotating in. Wilkins will be playing the majority of snaps so he’s not giving up snaps for Wilson. Adam Butler was really effective last year and should get lots of snaps and for me, Nesta showed far, far more so I’d give the handful of remaining snaps to him. Plus you’ve got Young, Matthew Butler and a guy like #52 who might come into the mix. 

Are you going to put Wilson in instead of Adam Butler? That seems like a very negative change to me, though I appreciate you want to get him on the field to give him a chance to improve. I just don't think there's enough snaps to go round if he's as big a project as he's looking right now.

At this moment in time, if you honestly appraise Wilson and ignore draft pedigree I’d have to say he’s behind Crosby, Koonce obviously but also Robinson and Snowden showed more. If you were to look at him objectively he’s battling with Ron Stone and David Agoha in terms of talent level. He simply needs to show something next game, he’s had more chances than those two too but we need to see some progression. It’s getting critical for me.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think the biggest issues with Wilson are his get off and lack of moves. If he developed both with his physical tools he’d be a pro bowl DL. Rn he is a rotational inside pass rusher at best. We need to see a lot more and it’s just not good enough. Maybe he’s not responding to coaching well. It’s concerning for sure 

Carter and Gonzalez were a home run. Trading up for Stroud or Richardson would have been a grand slam. 

While I agree with the evaluations and am as equally disappointed with where he is now, he was beginning to find a niche late last season as a 3rd down inside rusher. My expectation coming into this season was that the coaching staff would build on that and just let him play that role and to those strengths and get him reps in a situation where he doesn’t have to think. If memory serves, AP and/or Graham said as much last season. 

While I’m not expecting him to suddenly make a leap as evidenced by  @Darbsk ‘s breakdown of his limitations, I do think he could still be disruptive inside due to his physicality and as part of a rotation with such a capable leading cast. I mean he kinda already did it last season and now we have Wilkins to take even more attention away from him.

So while he doesn’t look like he’ll ever live up to our expectations, I would still be planning to bring him into the rotation quite regularly due to what we saw at the end of last season and his limited, but potentially impactful physical traits along with the other rushers we have. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, reddevil said:

While I agree with the evaluations and am as equally disappointed with where he is now, he was beginning to find a niche late last season as a 3rd down inside rusher. My expectation coming into this season was that the coaching staff would build on that and just let him play that role and to those strengths and get him reps in a situation where he doesn’t have to think. If memory serves, AP and/or Graham said as much last season. 

While I’m not expecting him to suddenly make a leap as evidenced by  @Darbsk ‘s breakdown of his limitations, I do think he could still be disruptive inside due to his physicality and as part of a rotation with such a capable leading cast. I mean he kinda already did it last season and now we have Wilkins to take even more attention away from him.

So while he doesn’t look like he’ll ever live up to our expectations, I would still be planning to bring him into the rotation quite regularly due to what we saw at the end of last season and his limited, but potentially impactful physical traits along with the other rushers we have. 

I get the logic, the trouble I see is we’ve now added Wilkins who will take the majority of snaps, Jenkins will be our primary run defender and Adam Butler will take a number of pass rush snaps. Who do we sub him in instead of? Are there enough snaps as a rotation inside rusher to enable him to develop. If we put him in regularly, aren’t we really weakening our DLine? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I get the logic, the trouble I see is we’ve now added Wilkins who will take the majority of snaps, Jenkins will be our primary run defender and Adam Butler will take a number of pass rush snaps. Who do we sub him in instead of? Are there enough snaps as a rotation inside rusher to enable him to develop. If we put him in regularly, aren’t we really weakening our DLine? 

Butler is gonna play the run too and will get subbed on some pass rush snaps. Same with koonce. He will get run on outside run plays as well. Just needs to show more. 

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Butler is gonna play the run too and will get subbed on some pass rush snaps. Same with koonce. He will get run on outside run plays as well. Just needs to show more. 

If I’m AP I agree with you, he needs to show more, show some flashes to earn those snaps instead of someone else. These next couple pre season games should be massive for him. 

• Like 1

imma just say watching more of the vikings game... yes tyree is still slow off snap, and has basically no moves... 
but he does bull rush well. 
He is still young and developing... now has maxx and christian to learn from. 

you can see his strength. 

long way to go obviously, but I actually saw some signs of life rewatching the vikes game, (although going against backups too). 

Edited by BackinBlack

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

imma just say watching more of the vikings game... yes tyree is still slow off snap, and has basically no moves... 

long way to go obviously, but I actually saw some signs of life rewatching the vikes game, (although going against backups too). 

I mean everyone develops at their own rate. Some guys have HUGE breakouts in year 3 and beyond. That being said, we need to see improvement this year. I'm sick of him being the last guy off the snap or having bad leverage/hand use. Those are all coachable/improvable things. Working out and getting huge is great, but you need to translate these things to the football field. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I would be looking at some NASCAR packages with him playing alongside Maxx, Wilkins and Koonce. I think he can be disruptive inside and split those pass rushing reps with Butler.

I think there would be enough for him to see a decent amount of action.

Rather that than persist with him playing as an Edge on pass rushing downs. He could spot Koonce on some early, run downs there..

Gonna be really interesting to see what happens next…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

I would be looking at some NASCAR packages with him playing alongside Maxx, Wilkins and Koonce. I think he can be disruptive inside and split those pass rushing reps with Butler.

I think there would be enough for him to see a decent amount of action.

Rather that than persist with him playing as an Edge on pass rushing downs. He could spot Koonce on some early, run downs there..

Gonna be really interesting to see what happens next…

Essentially what he did last year. I think that is his best role rn. Run down edge, rotational inside pass rusher

After watching the whole thing, didn't look as bad as I thought. He definitely looked better inside, despite being doubled/having some protections slid his way a bit. Definitely still room for improvement but the few cutups I saw online looked much worse than this. Hand usage/playing lower to the ground/with leverage and the biggest issues.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 2:01 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

After watching the whole thing, didn't look as bad as I thought. He definitely looked better inside, despite being doubled/having some protections slid his way a bit. Definitely still room for improvement but the few cutups I saw online looked much worse than this. Hand usage/playing lower to the ground/with leverage and the biggest issues.

It will always be amplified because we took him over a generational prospect

On 8/14/2024 at 8:13 AM, BackinBlack said:

Just flashes tho 50/50 his bullrushes get stonewalled and he just stays there like he’s waiting for someone to tell him to do something and doesn’t even end the engage with a rip, throw or anything just content with letting the olinemen win from start to finish. No emotion either which is weird esp for a young guy. Not even rah rah just nothing I don’t get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Just flashes tho 50/50 his bullrushes get stonewalled and he just stays there like he’s waiting for someone to tell him to do something and doesn’t even end the engage with a rip, throw or anything just content with letting the olinemen win from start to finish. No emotion either which is weird esp for a young guy. Not even rah rah just nothing I don’t get it.

i defintely agree with the no emotion. playing beside crosby who is over animated too, i dont get it. 

the guy will see a lot of single blocks this year. Hope he wakes up.