🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Agreed. He probably has a career arch  like Tyson Alualau. 

Obviously still very early for him and he could with time develop into that I guess. The trouble as we all know, is that you don’t draft that in the top 10. 

I don’t take any pleasure in being so hard on the kid and he is still learning but he’s just so devoid of any skills it’s unbelievable. David Agoha, the Nigerian boxer from the International Pathway Programme who only took up football a couple years ago actually has more pass rush moves and nuance to his play and that is simply mind boggling!?!?!?

I also keep hearing about all this athleticism and ‘traits’ but the trouble is we don’t see any of them, he doesn’t use his huge length, he loses his power advantage because his leverage is poor, he can’t show his speed because he’s slow off the snap and hesitant. I don’t believe he can use the injury or no TC last year excuse any more. 

It pains me to say it but I think if he wasn’t a top 10 pick he’d not be making the 53.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He actually was getting some push yesterday playing inside. He definitely is an inside guy at this point and showed some nice pass rush from the inside last year. He's being miscast. He's not nearly twitchy enough to play edge, but he is athletic for a DT and is a guard mismatch to some extent. I think having him continue to add weight/strength to play inside would be the best thing for this team and for his career.

Obviously, none of us drafted him and most of us felt that there were better players to be had in the draft where we took him. That being said, he's on the team and we should try to develop him to a role that fits his strengths/weaknesses.

I can see this line of thinking, though I would say he lacks short area quickness inside and plays high, is high cut so his centre of gravity is high which will get exposed inside unless he works hard on getting his pad level down. He can do that of course over time, but if he’s going to be cast inside then he’s not as good as Wilkins, Jenkins, Butler, Nesta or McCall yet so he’d be there for just potential at this point. It’s a difficult choice to make.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Tyree reminds me of a worse version of Ferrell 

Honestly, Tyree is longer, stronger and faster in a straight line but Ferrell is probably the better player as he has a higher football IQ and at least a couple moves. 

Damn it I wish we’d drafted Austin Booker if we were going for a DE project.

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Honestly, Tyree is longer, stronger and faster in a straight line but Ferrell is probably the better player as he has a higher football IQ and at least a couple moves. 

Damn it I wish we’d drafted Austin Booker if we were going for a DE project.

We should've taken the layup pick and drafted Jalen Carter. 

9 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Defended Tyree hard last season and during the offseason but now I’m like WTF. Like he doesn’t have any other moves in his toolkit? 

Just finished watching it and the get off seems improved. Just no technique just none got a couple tackles tho. You watch other preseason games and you see other rookies way ahead of him. You literally have maxx and koonce who have a1 technique and you haven’t learned shi in almost 2 years

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We should've taken the layup pick and drafted Jalen Carter. 

We’ll see how that works out, I mocked Carter to us and really wanted him at the start of the draft process. I thought he was the best player in the class. However, come draft time and with the red flags I’d have probably gone with Gonzalez at CB but understand why someone would have taken the chance on Carter. Hopefully he’ll grow up and mature.

• Like 1

Tyree’s only skill that i see so far in his brief career is that hes a big guy. Im serious. There is nothing notable about his game, he’s just a big body with no moves.

He might walk into some more sacks this year, being the beneficiary of playing with Koonce/Maxx/Wilkins but Ive seen enough to say he’s not living up to being a first round pick. 

I didn't like the pick to begin with, but Dline typically take 2-3 years to make the leap so not going to overreact. He has the size and length to last a long time in the league. He'll either develop the skill set or he won't. 

I will be interested to see how he progresses as the season goes on. But looking like he won't live up to the hype some attached to him. And certainly doesn't look like a 5th year option player right now.  

• Like 3

Called him a bust before we even selected him, so hated the pick then and hate it even more now.  I'd like to see him fulltime at DT, otherwise I'm totally out and would look to package him in any sort of deal we can make to improve the team. 

Edited by 101Raider

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I didn't like the pick to begin with, but Dline typically take 2-3 years to make the leap so not going to overreact. He has the size and length to last a long time in the league. He'll either develop the skill set or he won't. 

I will be interested to see how he progresses as the season goes on. But looking like he won't live up to the hype some attached to him. And certainly doesn't look like a 5th year option player right now.  

The trouble is usually if a DLine is going to be something you’ll see flashes, you’ll see traits that will then be developed, for example when watching rookie Malcolm Koonce you could see he had ‘something’ in his rookie year. You could see the explosiveness, the bend, the quickness and some rudimentary moves. Now, we didn’t see a lot as they didn’t play him but you get glimpses. 

Or take my boy Nesta for example, his game tape shows glimpses of explosiveness, they show him blowing the line up and collapsing the pocket, they show his short area quickness and leverage. He might never amount to anything but the tape clearly shows skills there. I’m genuinely struggling with Wilson to see anything on tape.

With Tyree, we should see flashes of something, we should see a move by now or a counter. We should see him destroy a third string guard or use his length to blow up run plays. He simply has no moves, he hasn’t improved that at all which is worrisome. Even his so called ‘traits’, he’s not really using his length, or strength, his bull rushes have been predictable, laboured and ineffective against 2nd and 3rd stringers. He doesn’t even get his hands up in the passing lanes for goodness sake. I get that he was injured and recovering last year but what is most worrisome for me is that he’s had so long with a good coach and the best teammate you could wish for as a mentor and what has he flashed that we can be excited about. Even his run defence is iffy as he simply can’t disengage. 

I’d love nothing more than him to be playing possum and explode this year, unleash some awesome moves that he’s been hiding but it seems very unlikely given the evidence. He looks like a poor man’s Jerry Tillery with no moves to me sadly. I’m not saying he’s 100% a bust but man, he’s got so, so far to go based on what we’ve seen.