🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I know they're slow-rolling it for a reason, but the minute we extend Koonce will be the minute Tyree Wilson is officially a bust. 

They want him to pan out, because it would justify letting Koonce test FA. When they decide Koonce is staying (and won't be cheap barring unforseen regression or major injury), you'll know the plug has been pulled on Wilson being anything meaningful. 

Or we finally decide that we move Tyree permanently to the DT in a rotation with Wilkins, where he at least showed something and then bring in competition for Koonce in the draft.

• Like 1

My honest thoughts on this:

0:14 - Shows he actually has decent long speed and can chase a QB down, bit slow change of direction but that's because he's so tall but at least he didn't fall too bad for the misdirection.

0:48 - Tyree attempts a rip move! He rushes half a man and gets his right arm up but he's not quite quick enough to get his hips past the OT and complete the rip with the left arm. OT played it well in fairness and at least he tried a move here.

1:06 - Blocked by the TE, he doesn't jolt the TE back or extend his arms and gets into a messy game of pat-a-cake. I'd like to see him use his power and jolt the TE back into the backfield, there's just no violence in his hands here.

1:15 - He's way to high and easily washed inside by just a TE by the looks of it.

1:25 - Really likes the way he sheds the block quickly, uses his length well here in fairness.

1:57 - He starts off really wide here like a Wide 9 and probably has to protect the edge but lets the QB get outside easily. I'm not sure but probably the job here if it's a run is to keep the QB inside where he has help? He does slant in a bit though so maybe someone knows better?

2:25 - Promising get-off but gets too high too quickly and OG gets underneath and pancakes him.

2:54 - Shows some grit here fighting OT and OG, holds his ground initially and only really loses when he turns his hip and shoulder. Decent showing though if he could stay perpendicular.

3:16 - Much better leverage on bull rush but the ball is out fast so no-one could get a sack here.

3:32 - 1 on 1 easily blocked by the TE, no real jolt at initial contact and no violence in his hands (compare to Smith at 3:45). Takes too long to really get his power going and the play is already past him.

3:45 - I like he has no hesitation and seems quick quick off the snap, gets in on the play but it shows to me the difference where the RE (Smith I think it is) jolts the TE back like Tyree should be doing, that creates the traffic and mess in the running lanes and creates the TFL. 

Maybe I'm being harsh here but I still see him being too high too often, even when he's in a low stance he pops straight up often. He's dramatically improved his get-off but it's still only average. I don't like that he often seems passive even though we know he's powerful he doesn't make the TE or OT feel that often, little violence or aggression, he should be blowing TEs back into the backfield and creating chaos but it just doesn't happen.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but he looks better on the inside to me, he simply doesn't have the explosiveness, short area quickness or bend for the outside, especially in a wide 9 stance which he seemed in often. I like he tried the rip move but he didn't have the quickness to really make it work. He just doesn't seem like a scheme fit to me, he seems like a 3-4 DE that could use his length and power 2 gapping being miscast as a 4-3 wide pass rusher. 

Am I being too harsh? Does anyone else see improvement here from last year or week 1 of PS?

• Like 3

Would love to be pleasantly surprised by him but Tyree simply looks like a JAG. No doubt there is still ample untapped potential with his elite frame and great strength, but if he isn't showing progression at least in his hands by half way through the year then I don't know what to say.

He looks slightly quicker but playing huge minutes against backups and still not doing anything this preseason isn't inspiring.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yes he does. That is a good play by the RE also to be fair. He’s got great length too and uses it there. What I thought was good was to see Tyree reasonably quick off the snap and great that he didn’t hesitate at all, that is good to see. Is it me or is he much slower off the snap and more hesitant at end that at tackle?

Yeah much more hesitant outside 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I really hope Koonce lives up to the hype some have from him around here. He flashed some serious ability late last season, but can he do it consistently this season? Feel like we are getting way to ahead of ourselves with him. Some in here acting like he's a step below Crosby and a priority re-sign. I see a guy who got some sacks, but still has question marks. 

If he plays good but not great that’s a good thing. Drives his price down from that upper tier. 

What I will say is that pressure is a lot less flukey than sacks. Hard to go from generating consistent pressure to not, but we’ll see.

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That could definitely be part of it. You just want him to disrupt inside, especially on passing downs. At least for now.

Maybe it’s too much to ask for him to put his hands up to mess up passing lanes

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

My honest thoughts on this:

0:14 - Shows he actually has decent long speed and can chase a QB down, bit slow change of direction but that's because he's so tall but at least he didn't fall too bad for the misdirection.

0:48 - Tyree attempts a rip move! He rushes half a man and gets his right arm up but he's not quite quick enough to get his hips past the OT and complete the rip with the left arm. OT played it well in fairness and at least he tried a move here.

1:06 - Blocked by the TE, he doesn't jolt the TE back or extend his arms and gets into a messy game of pat-a-cake. I'd like to see him use his power and jolt the TE back into the backfield, there's just no violence in his hands here.

1:15 - He's way to high and easily washed inside by just a TE by the looks of it.

1:25 - Really likes the way he sheds the block quickly, uses his length well here in fairness.

1:57 - He starts off really wide here like a Wide 9 and probably has to protect the edge but lets the QB get outside easily. I'm not sure but probably the job here if it's a run is to keep the QB inside where he has help? He does slant in a bit though so maybe someone knows better?

2:25 - Promising get-off but gets too high too quickly and OG gets underneath and pancakes him.

2:54 - Shows some grit here fighting OT and OG, holds his ground initially and only really loses when he turns his hip and shoulder. Decent showing though if he could stay perpendicular.

3:16 - Much better leverage on bull rush but the ball is out fast so no-one could get a sack here.

3:32 - 1 on 1 easily blocked by the TE, no real jolt at initial contact and no violence in his hands (compare to Smith at 3:45). Takes too long to really get his power going and the play is already past him.

3:45 - I like he has no hesitation and seems quick quick off the snap, gets in on the play but it shows to me the difference where the RE (Smith I think it is) jolts the TE back like Tyree should be doing, that creates the traffic and mess in the running lanes and creates the TFL. 

Maybe I'm being harsh here but I still see him being too high too often, even when he's in a low stance he pops straight up often. He's dramatically improved his get-off but it's still only average. I don't like that he often seems passive even though we know he's powerful he doesn't make the TE or OT feel that often, little violence or aggression, he should be blowing TEs back into the backfield and creating chaos but it just doesn't happen.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but he looks better on the inside to me, he simply doesn't have the explosiveness, short area quickness or bend for the outside, especially in a wide 9 stance which he seemed in often. I like he tried the rip move but he didn't have the quickness to really make it work. He just doesn't seem like a scheme fit to me, he seems like a 3-4 DE that could use his length and power 2 gapping being miscast as a 4-3 wide pass rusher. 

Am I being too harsh? Does anyone else see improvement here from last year or week 1 of PS?

I don't think you're being too harsh. It seems like if you want to be an elite defensive player you need to have that intensity that can't really be coached. The team can try to get him more confident but really it's up to him to throw caution to the wind and get after QBs. Perhaps the mental effects of his foot injuries are not recoverable and he won't feel comfortable playing with the same kind of intensity again. Could explain why he appears passive at times and just "another body" out there. At least when he plays inside he was able to out quick the guards or was getting double teamed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Q said he wouldn't be shocked if Tyree is a surprise cut this year

That's got to be clickbait. Draft status and the fact they have squat for depth keeps him at least in the rotation. Not to mention someone would give them a pick for him.

• Like 2