1.23 - Jordan Addison, WR, USC - #3

SemperFeist

1 minute ago, Purplepride323 said:

Maybe you just don’t understand sports or rivalries. It’s actually what makes it fun. Every protagonist has an antagonist. It’s just life my guy. Get used to it. 

"It’s actually what makes it fun" implies hating other sides is the main source of enjoyment in sports. To derive enjoyment from that is odd in and of itself, but to state one doesn't understand sports because they don't get and enjoy hating other sides is also provably incorrect. One, many sports don't even have this as a component and are for the purpose of competing against yourself. This is not to say competition with others is bad or brings any inherent qualities, it's just exhibit the fallacy that a sport has have competition with others and have antagonists whom fans/etc must hate. Second, if it's your main source of 'fun' in football, I'd wonder why you don't get more enjoyment out of all the other components of the sport - on-field competition (not to be confused with the aforementioned unrelated qualities), the x's and o's, team building and management, legacies, etc. If disliking a group and the people that associate with it is your biggest draw for enjoyment, there are other venues that would better suit this.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Duluther said:

I don't understand the component in sports fanbases to begin with. I can't imagine treating someone poorly, disliking someone, or even disliking players because they're rooting/affiliated with another tam.

It's like the 'grown up' version of hating fellow kindergarteners for their preferred color or hating fellow high schoolers for their preferred pickup truck brand. It's all lame.

I think it’s funnier for soccer. Massive gatherings of English people walking the streets and fighting massive gatherings of English people based on their loyalty to the event of a bunch of dudes kicking a circular ball into a net and running a lot. 

Just now, Ty21 said:

I think it’s funnier for soccer. Massive gatherings of English people walking the streets and fighting massive gatherings of English people based on their loyalty to the event of a bunch of dudes kicking a circular ball into a net and running a lot. 

Humanity is always going to reasons to segregate itself into groups. I’d rather live in a world where you hate your neighbor Todd because he is an idiot Browns fan rather than a world where you hate Todd for being black. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Duluther said:

"It’s actually what makes it fun" implies hating other sides is the main source of enjoyment in sports. To derive enjoyment from that is odd in and of itself, but to state one doesn't understand sports because they don't get and enjoy hating other sides is also provably incorrect. One, many sports don't even have this as a component and are for the purpose of competing against yourself. This is not to say competition with others is bad or brings any inherent qualities, it's just exhibit the fallacy that a sport has have competition with others and have antagonists whom fans/etc must hate. Second, if it's your main source of 'fun' in football, I'd wonder why you don't get more enjoyment out of all the other components of the sport - on-field competition (not to be confused with the aforementioned unrelated qualities), the x's and o's, team building and management, legacies, etc. If disliking a group and the people that associate with it is your biggest draw for enjoyment, there are other venues that would better suit this.

You might not understand the importance or significance of rivalries but most of the athletes and people in sports enjoy it. We don’t care if you do or not, respectfully. Most Vikings players will tell you that playing against Green Bay is special because of the rivalry. As a fan, I’m glad that I get to see and appreciate it. 

Edited by Purplepride323

8 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

You might not understand the importance or significance of rivalries but most of the athletes and people in sports enjoy it. We don’t care if you do or not, respectfully. Most Vikings players will tell you that playing against Green Bay is special because of the rivalry. As a fan, I’m glad that I get to see and appreciate it. 

there's a difference between a rivalry and "hating" a team/fanbase... Rivalries imply some level of mutual respect.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Humanity is always going to reasons to segregate itself into groups. I’d rather live in a world where you hate your neighbor Todd because he is an idiot Browns fan rather than a world where you hate Todd for being black. 

I’d rather not hate Todd at all and just dislike his team. I see a sports team as it’s own entity and don’t associate it with people. If I don’t like the Packers, it doesn’t mean I hate all of the Packers fans. 

1 minute ago, Purplepride323 said:

I’d rather not hate Todd at all and just dislike his team. I see a sports team as it’s own entity and don’t associate it with people. If I don’t like the Packers, it doesn’t mean I hate all of the Packers fans. 

Todd sucks, man 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Soccer rivalries are often based along socioeconomic/religious/political boundaries. It goes far beyond sports. They are also much older rivalries, and soccer is much more engrained in the overall culture in Europe/South America than NFL is in the US.

There isn't a "rivalry" in any US sport that even begins to compare to the major soccer derbys. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Soccer rivalries are often based along socioeconomic/religious/political boundaries. It goes far beyond sports. They are also much older rivalries, and soccer is much more engrained in the overall culture in Europe/South America than NFL is in the US.

There isn't a "rivalry" in any US sport that even begins to compare to the major soccer derbys. 

I understand the scope of it, but to me and my own personal opinions about soccer, it’s funny. 

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

there's a difference between a rivalry and "hating" a team/fanbase... Rivalries imply some level of mutual respect.

Again for the last time, hating a team doesn’t mean you hate their fanbase. If I don’t like the Packers or Bears, it doesn’t mean I hate all of their fans. The team is it’s own entity.

3 minutes ago, eaganfootball4 said:

Can we keep this Jordan Addison focused please? We have some really great analytic/football minds on this forum. We're all hear for that. It makes it hard to find the good takes when it's cluttered with this.

sounds good to me too.

i think the hate discussion has run its course.

2 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Again for the last time, hating a team doesn’t mean you hate their fanbase. If I don’t like the Packers or Bears, it doesn’t mean I hate all of their fans. The team is it’s own entity.

great, so you're done with the topic.