1.23 - Jordan Addison, WR, USC - #3

SemperFeist

23 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

This thread lol

Worth the read of the first few pages.

I remember not wanting a WR until it looked like 1 of the top 3 could fall to us. 

It kind of feels the same this year with the top  WR being drafted just before

8 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

With Jefferson, Addison, Osborn, Hockenson, Cook, Mattison, Cousins, and two good tackles, we probably have one of the best offenses in the league on paper, eh? 

Gonna try to win games 42-38

That didn’t work so well in the playoffs. Hopefully they can get better via coaching. I like the Addison pick though, WR was a need at the end of the day. Just pales in comparison to CB or DL.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

With Jefferson, Addison, Osborn, Hockenson, Cook, Mattison, Cousins, and two good tackles, we probably have one of the best offenses in the league on paper, eh? 

Gonna try to win games 42-38

That's going to have to be the case.  Like @Captain Relax, even after sleeping on it, I'm still just okay with it.  I'm not that excited about drafting a complementary WR in the 1st round.  Someone brought up Bruce and Holt and Harrison and Wayne.  The Colts didn't draft Wayne until they already had Peyton Manning.  Bruce had a couple of good years early in his career but didn't take off until Kurt Warner arrived (which was when they also drafted Holt). 

Now, if you tell me that Kirk Cousins is just Chris Miller or Tony Banks and we'll get a Kurt Warner or Peyton Manning in 2024 or '25, I'll feel a little better about the pick.  But, I'd still just have rather worked on upgrading the defensive talent over taking a complementary WR. 

I don't think the defense will be as bad as last year. We have made moves to fix it, but they just weren't through the draft just yet. The CB depth is strong this class, so we could still realistically move up at any point to nab one. There is no question in my mind that our coaches still believe in last years draft class. Plus, Booth and Evans will actually (hopefully) be healthy and can continue to develop. Same with Cine. Otomewo and Asamoah showed some nice flashes as well.

Addison could have the potential to make our offense truly elite, and the addition of Flores plus the development of last year's class could still make our defense serviceable. 

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 3

https://www.vikings.com/video/draft-room-call-jordan-addison-becomes-a-viking

Draft Room call to Addison.

well worth listening to what O'C says.... "We stuck to the plan"   ....  "What did I tell you? I told you we'd get you some way, somehow.  That day in my office, I told you, man." ...  "All you did when you came here was make us want you that much more."

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I don't think the defense will be as bad as last year. We have made moves to fix it, but they just weren't through the draft just yet. The CB depth is strong this class, so we could still realistically move up at any point to nab one. There is no question in my mind that our coaches still believe in last years draft class. Plus, Booth and Evans will actually (hopefully) be healthy and can continue to develop. Same with Cine. Otomewo and Asamoah showed some nice flashes as well.

Addison could have the potential to make our offense truly elite, and the addition of Flores plus the development of last year's class could still make our defense serviceable. 

That's going to require a giant leap of faith that it's going to be better, considering there are 2 CBs with different health issues and a 3rd that's new to the program and really was only so-so last year...an edge rusher that hasn't played in a 3-4, and a DT that is, talent-wise, a pretty significant downgrade from what was there before.  You can be one of the best schemers in the history of the NFL as Zimmer was, and still can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop...and I'm not sure the talent has upgraded from 2021.   

I firmly believe this will be the best offense since 09. I love the interchangeable parts philosophy that they have with the receiver group. Guys that are able to line up in all of the different formations and motions to scheme players open. Get Addison some hearty food and an NFL weight training program and let this group shine.

After sleeping on it, I've shaken the disappointment of not trading up for Richardson. This pick was in my "not ecstatic, but will likely be the right pick if they make it" group of players. I'm excited for Addison.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's going to require a giant leap of faith that it's going to be better, considering there are 2 CBs with different health issues and a 3rd that's new to the program and really was only so-so last year...an edge rusher that hasn't played in a 3-4, and a DT that is, talent-wise, a pretty significant downgrade from what was there before.  You can be one of the best schemers in the history of the NFL as Zimmer was, and still can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop...and I'm not sure the talent has upgraded from 2021.   

The good news is that there is still plenty of time to add more guys. Kwesi isn't shy to make a move to get his guy, we just have to hope that his guy plays defense.