Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

2 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

Exactly. 6 year, 180,  100 GTD is what I was told and sounds realistic. 3 years fully gtfd. 4th year small gtd.

Would be interesting how it be structured if we do offer that I'd rather it be front loaded so as he ages we could continue to add more and more around

1 minute ago, ekill08x said:

We can debate this till we are blue in the face but we'll see what the market is for him when he receives offers. Over 30 million is pretty absurd for anyone not named Tom Brady (who makes half of that). There is a fine line between going all in and being stupid. His 3rd year tag price is 34.5 million give or take which is the top 5 player average plus around 33% increase based on the third year (numbers may not be exact but they are certainly in the ballpark). Hes not seeing that money. Its going to be between 25-30 annually and its going to come down to GTD money and ability to build a roster around him. I do like cousins, but at a certain price it becomes just irresponsible. we will wait and see. 

Well if the rumored contract is true, it’s pretty  irresponsible. And considering what Alex Smith just got, it’s going to be very close to, if not more than 30m annually.

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Well if the rumored contract is true, it’s pretty  irresponsible. And considering what Alex Smith just got, it’s going to be very close to, if not more than 30m annually.

Yeah the Alex Smith contract doesnt help at all. I want offensive linemen and a passer rusher just as bad. 

Just now, ekill08x said:

Yeah the Alex Smith contract doesnt help at all. I want offensive linemen and a passer rusher just as bad. 

Idk man, so do I. You can form your own ideas but giving Cousins 30+ annually (I’d be shocked if he didn’t get that) doesnt seem conducive to fielding a solid competitive team year in and year out.

We saw his situation in Washington, he needs significantly better than that especially in the AFCE.

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

Idk man, so do I. You can form your own ideas but giving Cousins 30+ annually (I’d be shocked if he didn’t get that) doesnt seem conducive to fielding a solid competitive team year in and year out.

We saw his situation in Washington, he needs significantly better than that especially in the AFCE.

Thats going to be every team with a franchise QB. Pats situation just is unreal, Brady would play for free, its like not even fair. I think if even had half our cap number I would agree with you. We have the ability to really round out this roster completely in FA and with all out picks, especially if we choose to trade back. I cant argue...30 million is a lot for Cousins its a lot for any QB that isn't  Brady, but I just think we have to take the shot at him. 

40 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Out of curiousity, how many of you would be okay with this if it was indeed the deal we offer him?

I would be ok with this contract. If we sign Cousins, there's no way we give him less than 3 years to be our QB. So, Gtd the first 3 years is fine by me. The $30M per year seems a tad high but not crazy money. He should be paid in the neighborhood of $27.5M per year. So, if we overpay by an extra $2.5M per year, ehh just move on we'll be fine. This contract essentially makes him cuttable after 3 years or you can restructure the contract at that time. 

I was thinking doing something like 4 years $120M with $100M fully gtd. It's basically the same thing except you don't have those two fluff years that he likely won't see.

He will be overpaid. That's just the nature of free agents regardless of position outside of RBs over 25.

I am hoping that he comes here simply because having consistency at the QB spot allows for the team to concentrate on filling other spots on the roster. If QB is a hole all the time then it is priority #1 year in and year out. 

1 hour ago, K-Ro 25 said:

Exactly. 6 year, 180,  100 GTD is what I was told and sounds realistic. 3 years fully gtfd. 4th year small gtd.

I'd offer that.  Hopefully we can make the first two years in the mid 30's and make the last few (5 and 6) lesser of a hit.  That way we can keep the talent around him to win and pay the homegrown talent.  For the next two years we don't have that major contract to pay out so now is the time to take the big cap hit.

Williams is the next big contract in 2 years I believe.

Archived